29 Facing Reality

Chapter 29
Facing Reality

   Well the so called last dance didn't end until four hours later with the sunrise. When Luc and I finally got back to the Library we were thoroughly happy and completely exhausted. My feet were heavy as stones as we dragged ourselves to bed.
    Now we are back on the terrace sitting at the breakfast table for a very late brunch that includes a big scrumptious pot of coffee. We haven't said much more than good morning to each other and exchanged groggy smiles.
   The new overactive bond had settled while we slept. The intense emotions are no more than a warm presence in the back of my mind now. It's too bad we couldn't keep something so special, but I guess reality would never be so convenient.
    I sipped my sweet coffee enjoying how its warmth spread through my sleepy body.
    "How did you sleep?"
    " Hmmm, very well, thank you."
       Luc smirked at my response.
     " You got some crazy bed head going there Cori. It's cute."
     I laughed at him. Funny he should mention that with his head looking like a porcupine.
     " Well at least I don't look like I got into a fight with my pillow. You have more cow licks than an anime character."
    I giggled at him.
    " Yeah I'm going for that rolled out of bed perfect look. Think I pulled it off?"
    Personally I enjoyed his scruffy look.  
   "It's adorable."
     "Ha!" He shook his head at me. "So I guess we need to head back after this right?"
    "Yeah, I got Mason's note when I woke up. He said, "No rush, just sometime today.""
    "Cool"
    Luc took a long swig of orange juice before getting up from the table.
   "Listen Luc, how do you feel about keeping our bond a secret until things settle down? I'm not saying hide it from Mason, but everyone else just seems like we are opening ourselves up to derision. I don't know if I can take that stress on top of everything else."
   "Do you regret it?"
     "Never!!"
      The very idea of being ashamed of Luc was foreign and completely impossible for me.
     "Alright don't get snippy." He laughed, "As long as we can shout it from the roof tops at the end of all this I can live with the secret for now."
    I relaxed with a smile, and got up to gave him a quick kiss on the cheek.
    "Thank you."
   " You're welcome. I'm gonna go get ready. Oh, and I'm stealing some of these linen pants. They are comfy as heck."
    "Just don't let me catch you adopting Iving's dressing habits."
    " You don't think I could pull off the sage vibe when we get back?"
    " Only if you want me to snatch out the eyes of every female that sees you."
     He busted out laughing.
    "Awe the sadistic protector of my virtue. Poor Mrs. Truman next door wouldn't be able to see to water her Begonias anymore."
   I smiled serenely at him without breaking character.
   "Then I suggest you stay covered in public, Lover."
    He left to go back to our room as I wondered if he realized I was only half joking. The Greek and Roman pantheons were filled to the brim with examples of how petty and possessive Nephilim could be. Children of Angels and human women flaunting their abilities, and claiming to be little gods to the impressionable masses. Their bloodlines died out horribly. Many killed off by the very humans they sought to rule, or banished to the flames for their blasphemy by The Creator himself.
   Now according to history the Vita family is the only Nephilim bloodline left in the world. It's one of the many reasons we stay hidden. The wrath of the humans shouldn't be underestimated. Dying like an Olympian would suck, but going out like the Titans under the divine retribution of The Creator would be a fate worse than death.
    Just then a thought occurred to me. So I scribbled a note to Fiddle. Gathering some historical text for Luc to study and learn about his family's heritage wouldn't be a bad idea. On the other hand it would be easier to find traces of what actual family he comes from if I could have access to the restricted family records from the war. However, only Mom and Dad as well as key members of the council have access to them. Something about not wanting prejudice to creep into what should be a tight family bond. Lot of help that does us now. The first thing I do when this is over is make a record of all families involved, match them up to previous transgressions in the sealed records, and any repeat offenders will find themselves locked up in a cozy country retirement village painting. I'll make it complete with a guard rotation!
Any first offenders will be reevaluated for at least twenty years in a new location. Anyone who fails to comply can join their leaders in the quiet life. I think 'The Quiet Life' is what I will name the painting.
As for Harrace and his main generals, honestly, I don't know how I can spare them at this point. To many are dead, and someone has to answer for that.
   Slipping the note to a bumble I made my way back to the room as well. Knocking on the door, I waited for Luc to respond.
   "Come on in, I'm good."
    Opening the door I found him putting the last of his things into his duffle.
    "I'm ready to go when you are."
      "Okay just let me get dressed and grab my bag."
    I walked into the closet to change. No more soft linen dress. I'm back to scratchy jeans, tshirts, and combat boots. I sighed as I packed my bag up. I don't really want to go back, but duty calls I guess.
   Swinging my bag over my shoulder I walked back into the room to see Luc waiting by the door.
   "Ready?"
    "Hmmm, ah yeah, I guess."
     He shrugged his shoulders listlessly.
     "We will come back, Luc. It's just a couple of hours."
       "Yeah, I'll be fine. I'm just not looking forward to dealing with dear old dad when we get back. I'll manage."
    I grabbed his hand, and led him into the hall.
    "Mason and I won't leave your side, love. Plus, even if he kicks up a fuss, your status as my intended changes some things in regards to how he can approach you."
   "Really, how? I thought we were keeping the bond secret."
   " We are, but we don't have to be bonded for you to be my intended. Which means you have a higher status then him. He can't order you around once you make it clear he isn't your real father."
   I winked at him.
    "Great, now I'm pulling rank on my dad. Awkward."
   I headed towards the main entrance at a sluggish pace. My mind and body are still reluctant to leave our safe haven.
    "So how do we get back to my room?"
    " The main portal is the front door of the Library. We just have to infuse it and it will allow us to leave."
    He nodded solemnly as he kept pace with me. I can tell the idea of leaving this place truly saddened him. So I decided to change the subject.
  " I'm thinking of putting in a cottage somewhere near the Celestials cave. Something like a back door for you to enter this world without my help. It won't get you into the Library without me opening the door for you, but you could essentially have access to everything else here."
    "Really, it won't mess with the anchor or anything? I wouldn't want to lose this place."
   " No it won't. It will be no different from the art gallery really. We will just have to set up a door for you to access on your own. Like I said though, the Library will be locked down for you "
   "I don't have a problem with that. You will just have to help me make my entrance as comfortable as the suite in the Library."
   He shrugged his shoulder into mine playfully. His mood greatly improved with the idea.
  "I am curious though. With all these open entrances why can't I just walk right up to it and walk in? I've been doing it for the last few days."
    " Well it's a bit complicated, and involves our abilities. Do you still want to know?"
     "Yeah. After staying here I don't think I'm as squeamish about the supernatural side to all of this anymore. It's been kind of like an immersion therapy."
   He shook his head and smirked.
  "Which is probably what you sneaky twins were going for."
   I looked at him without guilt. My face utterly serine as I tilted my head to the side to look innocent.
   " I have no idea what you're talking about."
   "Sure sure. So about the entrance?"
   I shrugged my shoulders.
  "It's simple. You and I came in through the main Library painting. So we are a part of this painting right now. The other parts of this world are a sub-painting constantly extended outward. They are connected to this world because they are tied through my life force. If a sub-painting is destroyed the main painting will survive. However, if the main painting is destroyed everything in here dies unless I pull it out in time. That means that my life force is the key to accessing this world. By making you a back door you will have access to the sub-painting. Basically anything I painted into being while in this world, but without my life force you won't be able to go into the main painting. The center where the Library is located is just gone."
   Luc stopped with a puzzled look on his face.
  "What do you mean gone? Like a void or...?"
   "No I actually designed it to look like the water fall from the center court yard. It looks like a round deep crater where water constantly feeds into white nothingness. Like a fall zone at the edge of a video game map."
   "Huh... well how would we connect my back door?"
    We meandered down the hallway, stopping here or there to look at things Luc had missed the day before.   
   As we walked, I explained how once we painted the scene of what he wanted in our reality. We would come back here bringing the painting itself.
   I would use my ability to expand the subspace as far as I could while using his painting as a medium to form the one way connection. It's like a magical cut and paste maneuver. After that we will choose a door within the new space and anchor the new space to our demential reality. Once the anchor is set, by us walk back into his room with the painting, he can then use his painting as his new entrance.
    "You say it's easy Cori, but that sounds really complicated."
   "No seriously we just enter my painting, move into the sub-painting, create more subspace, then walk through that subspace back into your room. Easy peasy!"
     Luc shook his head, while running his fingers through his hair.
  "If you say so."
   Eventually we could procrastinate no longer. We made it to the main entrance where Iving, Fiddle, and the Graces were waiting for us.
     "Cori do you really have to go? Jolie says we need to pray because things are getting dangerous out there."
   " Oh, Ephy."
    I pulled her into a tight hug.
    "I'll be alright sweetie. I promise I'll come back for a long Vacation, no work, as soon as we get my parents back okay."
    She sniffled a little bit, doing her best to hold back her tears.
   "Okay, it's a promise."
   I patted her head as I passed her gently to Chari. Chari looked at me with a bittersweet smile as her voice shook.
    "Try not to get hurt Cori. I know sometimes it's unavoidable, but please try."
   "I'll do my best."
    "I'll watch her back ladies. Mason and I won't let anything happen to her."
   Jolie pulled me into a firm hug. She spoke over my shoulder to him.
   "I know you will do your best for our girl Luc."
   "Just try not to get in her way buddy. You know you getting hurt puts her in a bind."
  " Yeah yeah, don't nag me.... buddy?"
    "Well I figured we got off to a rocky start, but in the end we learned from each other right? I'd say we can be friends. At the very least we can be training partners."
   Luc looked at Iving a little wary.
   "You know I think I like you better as a snot nose kid. It's easier to forgive a kid."
     Luc held his hand out to Iving who was sporting his preferred teenage form.
Iving just shook his head before reaching out to grip his hand.
  "And I preferred you as a painted memory a world away. I say we make do with a compromise."
   The guys grinned at each other ending the exchange with some kind of male mental communication truce that I still don't get or want to understand. I'm just glad there will be no fighting anymore; real, fake or otherwise.
    "Cori, the bumbles and I made you some honey cinnamon butter to take with you. You have to come back if you want more."
    Seeing Fiddle trying to bribe me with a savory treat like she does with her bumbles warmed my heart.
   "We will be back tonight if we can, tomorrow at worst Fiddle. I promise."
   She drooped in flight a bit indicating her sadness at me leaving again, but her fuzzy little face smiled at me trying to stay strong.
"I know full well the difference between coming here to relax and coming here to prepare dearie."
"Oh Fiddle, I promise I'll try not to be so absorbed."
    "You will promise, but we shall see. Your parents safety is rather important."
She bobbed her whole body while nodding as if I was the one to say that, but she still agreed. I stayed silent knowing she was correct. I probably won't make it back here for much else aside for sleep the next few days. That's if I make it back at all.
"Well I've never been good with battle goodbyes so I think I'll go see what the bumbles might be getting into. A Queen's job is never done!"
   She buzzed away quickly leaving behind a trail of pollen dust.
    "I hope she will be okay."
     "Don't worry Cori, I'll make sure she doesn't get lonely."
    Ephy smiled at me from Chari's embrace. Nodding at her, I then looked into the faces of all my creations. I decided I needed to cut this short. I can't cry here, or I'll never leave.
    This world really is too enticing. The idea of staying here and remaining safe in my childhood dreams is so tempting.
   I turned to Luc and pulled on his arm.   
   "Let's go."
   Moving towards the main doors I pressed my fingers against them opening the portal to the outside world. Luc and I waved goodbye as we walked into the swirling light. I couldn't understand why this felt so final. Like I was choosing to let go of something today by leaving. We were coming back later anyway. Choosing to sleep here instead of in Luc's room. We won't see them much because it will be nights only, but once we get Mom and Dad back we can come whenever we want. So what changed?
     As we walked into Luc's room I felt the slight drain on my body. Nothing I wasn't used to, but I really want to get Luc traveling under his own power. That way traveling into the other pocket worlds wouldn't feel like such a workout.
    "Well we're back. Someone will come knocking soon. Travel like that is hard to miss. Are you ready to deal with them?"
    "Yeah I'll deal, just don't ask me to tolerate his dismissive attitude."
   I brushed my hand through his hair giving him a quick kiss.
   "I would never let anyone ignore you Luc, and we will have our answers. He can't refuse all three of us."
    He smiled at me before pulling me close and kissing my forehead. The moment was lost when a solid knock sounded against the door.
   "Come in."
   "Hey guys, how was the getaway?"
    Mason leaned against the door frame looking smug.
   "Was it a fruitful little boot camp?"
    "If you're asking if I'm done holding back then yes. I don't have a problem with getting past my human limitations anymore."
  "Marvelous, your dad is waiting for us in the kitchen. I think I'm ready to switch out on zombie duty if you don't mind."
   Luc picked up the bags and tossed them on the bed.
   " Come on Koi, let's get this over with."
   Walking down to the kitchen felt like walking through glue. I mean this is big right? How often do dead guys show up one night just not dead anymore. Once we got downstairs I discovered Trevor wasn't the only one waiting in the kitchen. Everyone in the house seemed to suddenly crave a little snack.
     I headed towards the fresh iced tea. I was so caught up in my thoughts, I didn't notice the source of my anxiety was more focused on me then Mason and Luc. I almost dropped my glass when I turned around to see him just watching me from across the room. It seems my moment of startled weakness didn't get past him either.
  He was smiling ear to ear at me just sitting at the table.
   " Do I make you uncomfortable Cordeliah? I assure you I don't intend to, but I'm sure you can understand why I'm a bit upset with the current circumstances."
    What the heck is this guy's problem?
   " Honestly, I doubt you care much at all for comfort levels at the moment. Though, I appreciate your attempt at keeping a civil tongue. Even if you are still being unbearable."
   His smile slipped from his face just a bit before he shrugged his shoulders.
  "I have my reasons for being disappointed. I have responsibilities I can't ignore. I don't have the freedom of running away for a vacation."
  "You mean responsibilities besides the son you left like an old pair of shoes? I'm helping him settle and heal. Not that you showing up out of the blue has been much help."
   " My  son is of no concern to you."
   "Apparently, I'm of no concern to you either Uncle. Considering you haven't acknowledged my presence since I walked into the room with Cori."
That's right. Why is he focusing on me. He hasn't said so much as a greeting to Luc. Truthfully, I'm getting angry at this horrible excuse for an adult. At all the adults in my life right now really. If he isn't careful he might become my target for all this pushed aside fury I've had lately.
   Trevor looked at Luc in annoyance, but didn't answer him. He continued to speak to me.
  " So why did you choose Lucas? I mean he is like a son to me, but you have chosen some pretty rough terrain for your first relationship by picking him. The things you two don't know alone could blow up in your faces. I'm talking about a literal minefield."
   I slammed my glass down on the counter before glaring at him. Apparently he had decided to not be careful.
  "Alright that's enough! Who do you think you are? You walk out of our lives to go on some mission my parents sent you on. Then you come back here just as everything is swimming the edges of chaos to say what? I don't like your choice in relationship status!"
" Now Listen..."
   Trevor stood up ready to confront me, but in doing so caused a ripple effect in the room. The only male that didn't stand up or take a step forward in response to his behavior was Aspen. Akila and him instead chose to look at him as if he were a cockroach that had made its way onto the table across from them. Obviously nobody liked his threatening response.
   Looking around the room, he arched an eyebrow at the lack of support he had in his corner. He sat back down, but he wasn't finished with his verbal assault.
   "Do you really believe a summer fling is more important than quelling the rebellion in our own backyard?"
    This man must have knocked a screw loose on whatever mission he was assigned. Why is he so focused on my relationship with Luc instead of the danger we are all being confronted with. We have more important things to consider. Not that I will let him demean us like that.
   " I understand my responsibilities better than you think you know Trevor. However, Lucas loves me, and I love him. A summer fling is the furthest thing from my mind when it comes to my commitment to him. It's too bad that by choosing each other we will have to deal with the colossal mess you, my parents and the council have made. However, we will get through it together with or without your help. I will, on the other hand, demand without, if you can't manage to leave your judgmental preconceived predictions of the future at the door."
   Uncle Trevor's eyes were wide with shock. I had always been fairly quiet around him. Not because I couldn't be assertive. I just wasn't as vocal around him as Mason since cars and machinery isn't really my favorite pastime.
    When it came to speaking up for myself around him I was always careful to hold my cog persona. That's down the drain now. I have no reason to show respect to a man who looks down on me and Lucas like misbehaving children. I have no patience for adults who can't seem to change their perspectives for the sake of growth and adaptation.
   "I see, you won't change your mind. Do your parents know about this?"
   "Not that it is any of your business, but yes. They encouraged it."
   "So they unlocked his seal because you two have become involved? Why didn't they ask my opinion on this? Lucas's seal is under my authority."
   He slammed his fist into the table making everyone tense. Luc looked shocked then unbelievably hurt by his father figures outburst. I mean what the heck? He is being so freaking petty! The jerk! Just as I was about to answer though, Mason stepped in.
   "I don't think your opinion on the matter means much, Trevor, but no, they don't know he has been unsealed. That happened completely by accident."
    "Accident! What do you mean?"
   Oddly enough it was Aspen that was looking at Luc in concern. I guess Luc's injury cover story was about to make its debut with an audience.
    "Lucas, you want to tell your side first or shall I?"
    "You tell it Mason. I was running on instinct most of that night. I try not to focus on it. Not exactly my favorite of memories."
     With that Mason launched into the Heroic tale of three warriors fighting for their lives against high level creation Ink blots. Little changes were given to the story. Luc's chin being injured when he pushed me into the mural became the moment his seal was damaged beyond repair. The rest of the story was fairly the same while downplaying my injuries for the sake of making it sound plausible that I could help get Luc to the safe house and pull off the removal of the damaged seal. Instead of the blood stain Mason removed from the backseat of the car being mine it was now Luc's.
     Aspen was looking at Lucas with an expression of extreme guilt. While Uncle Trevor was suddenly oozing masculine pride for his son. Everyone knew what it meant to have a seal damaged. The pain and mental anguish would be horrendous. Then to have it removed by me. Uncle Trevor's eyes seemed to hold the knowledge of that unique torture. His attitude did a complete one eighty. He slumped at the table looking completely defeated.
    " I wish I had gotten here sooner. If I could have, in some way, helped you to avoid that pain."
    "Hey, you didn't know. None of us did, and splitting headache and burning alive aside; I wouldn't change being able to remember again. So yeah, I will not be volunteering to renew the seal. I know that's what you're thinking. It's not going to happen."
   "Lucas just hear me out."
   Uncle Trevor stared at his glass of sweet tea that Akila had been gracious enough to serve to everyone during story time. He wouldn't look at us while his frustration with the situation seemed to build on his weary looking face.
   "Son, there are things you don't know about that could be dangerous to you and everyone around you. Living as a cog was the best chance at a normal life I could give you."
    Luc was getting frustrated himself. Not that I could blame him. Trevor had been ignoring him this entire time. Then now after finally hearing that none of the things he was mad at us for was actually our fault. At least according to the manipulated version of events. He wants to throw a pity party, and try to guilt Luc back into the chains he just spent so much effort in trying to shake off.
   "Look, I'm not interested in normalcy! You took my memories of my mom. You promised to give them back, but I know now you were never going to release me were you?"
Trevor didn't respond, instead he turned his head away from Luc.
   "Oh..... you weren't. WERE YOU?!"
   "Lucas, it's complicated. Your mom was on the run from your father. A man whose identity I don't even know. Except to say, he works for Harrace. How am I supposed to protect you if I don't even know who I'm protecting you from?"
   "The subject is mute to begin with. I don't trust you. Besides, I'm old enough to protect myself now. You can't have it both ways. Stay and protect me, or fake your death again and leave me to deal on my own. Regardless, I will never submit to another seal."
   Lucas grabbed my hand to drag me from the room. He is definitely not interested in hearing anymore from daddy Trevor.
  "Wait, Lucas! Don't take Cori. I was hoping she could make lunch!"
  "Eat a sandwich Mason."
  I didn't protest as Luc led me from the room. Partly because I saw Akila move toward the stove, and the other because my priority right now is Luc. Not my brother's stomach.
   The rest of the day went by in much the same manner. The two men would come to blows any time they were in the room longer than a minute. Which was often because Trevor practically hunted us down every chance he got to spout off random crap to persuade me or Luc one way or another to replace the seal. The only time they could tolerate each other's presence was at the strategy meeting. I can't imagine how much worse it would be if we told everyone Luc and I had bonded. Mason was of course happy, but not surprised.
    Luc insisted on being involved with every meeting. While Trevor believed he should mind his own business. At least they both had the professionalism to shut their mouths on the subject once the meeting started. However, Luc is getting way to close to the problem then I am comfortable with.
   Luc has whittled me down to allowing him to be there at the base camp. He wouldn't be involved in the operation, but Mason advocated that he wouldn't cause trouble or be in any danger behind the guard line.
   I lost all arguing points when even Uncle Trevor surprisingly agreed to the hair brained idea. Something about it being easier to keep an eye on him. Which sent them both into another repetitive argument. It's getting pretty old honestly.
  Training has progressed at an astonishing rate for Luc. Mason claims it's because we trained him since we were kids, but something about that just doesn't live up to the amount of advancements he has made in less than forty-eight hours. He is a genius.
   That night, after everyone went their separate ways. Luc and I started working on his cabin, which became more of a villa, inside our world. We spent the evening designing it, painting it, then linking it to the original painting. The process left us past out on Luc's bed too exhausted to go sleep in the Library.
   The next night we went straight to our new getaway home after dealing with our daily routines. It was set up high above the Celestials cave on a cliff side. The way the building worked its way up the cliff reminded me of the Greek islands. It was definitely smaller than the Library, but from its vantage point you could see the entire world map. The view was breathtaking. Now we just had to set up the inside.
   For the kitchen I taught Luc a little cheat. We pulled pictures off of the internet of kitchens, living rooms and bathrooms. Then I used my Partum abilities to pull the rooms from the pictures into existence within the villa. Who said you had to paint everything yourself.
   Modern printer technology takes the creativity out of it so we don't use it much except for basic things. When it comes to throwing a kitchen into existence though, it's just so much easier. The older generation hates this kind of shortcut, but I'm a big fan of 'link it and customize it'. Besides, it makes it easier to install the functions within the project, like plumbing and electrical, if you have a guide.
    After I set up the basic space for Luc he kinda kicked me out. Now he spends all of his spare time outside of training, meetings and time with me, inside the villa. He says it's the perfect way to practice his Modus creation. He has been going every evening for the past two days now. Then he works late into the evening until it's time to meet me at the Library. Once we meet up we usually just crash in each other's arms, and fall asleep in the hammock bed.
   The Inner Office will open again on Saturday night. Based on our intel the street is swarming with families loyal to this Renewal rebellion. So we are left with the only option of using the back door portrait. It's located in the museum just outside Central Park. So the plan is to infiltrate from there.
   Just two more days then hopefully we can put all of this behind us, and start moving forward.