8 Not the Best Reveal

Chapter 8
Not the Best Reveal

     After our parents left we all started to fall into our routine. I found comfort in this. I had been freaking out before. Now we just hung out, ate lunch, and talked about normal things. Then I went to my room to get cleaned up and dressed for our day of studying.
     By the time I made it back to my room my teeth were chattering. It was worth it though. The sandwiches were still the best. I grinned to myself. Ah... I was such a goof. There is nothing different about Lucas. He is still my friend. Just my normal everyday fun loving Lucas.
     After a quick shower I went directly to my closet for my favorite comfy clothes. The oversized shirt honestly just showed up in my closet one day. I doubt it's Mason's since he prefers a more fitted look. So it's probably one of dad's old yard work shirts. I usually only wear it in my room or library. I don't want dad to steal it back.
     The tshirt material is soft against my skin and the sleeves fall drastically over my hands. The hem is almost to my knees for the perfect tuck in position. It's now my favorite comfort shirt. So with dad gone on this trip I can get away with wearing it around the house.
      Pairing it with my soft yoga pants, messy hair bun and fuzzy socks; I was ready for hours of study with Mason and Lucas.
     I stopped by the kitchen for some chips and juice for when I got peckish later. Then I went straight to the sunroom ready to get this study session over with.
    Walking into the room I didn't notice the guys staring at me till I was settled in my cuddle chair in my area with my snack and first subject book set up on my adjustable table in front of me. Looking up at them, Lucas was staring at me with a confused look. While Mason was staring Lucas down and flicking his eyes to me and back. He looked a little upset.
     "Lucas I thought you just said there was nothing going on!"
     "Wait what! No man seriously! Not a thing!"
     "Oh really? How am I supposed to believe that? She is wearing your favorite work shirt Lucas, and you've been checking her out in her bathing suit all morning! I'm not blind!"
      "Excuse me!!!"
"Stay out of this Cori!"
     "Hey Mason you don't even have the full story here; don't yell at Koi she didn't do anything!"
     "Didn't do anything! Are you kidding me! She is just as bad as you! Practically frozen, drooling over you while you were in front of the fridge! Now I know you guys are keeping this all from me! I just want to know why you would lie to me, and not tell me you're dating my sister!"
      "Are you kidding me! I haven't even had the chance to ask her out yet! Why won't you listen to me! You're like a bull in a China shop!"
     "Oh! Like you're the king of subtlety! Calling her Koi again when you and I both know you aren't talking about a stupid fish!"
     "Mason you are about the most impatient loud mouth jerk on the face of the Earth right now you know that! Open your ears! There is nothing going on!"
    The guys had grabbed each other by their shirts. Lucas is shaking Mason like a rag doll in a useless attempt to shut him up.
"Wait! You haven't asked her out yet? Why not? I know dad gave you permission last week..."
      "You are such an idiot Mason."
     The room fell silent with those last almost weary words, and Lucas half let go half pushed Mason off of himself. The guys had pretty much gone into their macho duke it out mode, and had completely forgotten I was there after my previous interjection. Honestly, I'm half horrified and half oddly excited. With Lucas's next response though horrified quickly won.
      "If you had talked to me you would know your dad started that conversation because he noticed my interest, and told me I had his permission if I decided I was willing to take the risk. I'm still confused over how I really feel! Wait, you said she was checking me out?"
     The way he crossed his arms, tilted his head and grinned at the idea would have been cute if the subject matter hadn't been ridiculously embarrassing.
      The strangled sound coming out of my mouth unfortunately seemed to reassert my presence in the room. Both guys turned my way. My face must have paled of all color from how cold I felt. 
    Judging by their suddenly worried and panicked faces, I probably look like a frightened deer about to bolt! Considering I could almost feel my fight or flight reactions boiling inside me; I think I'm leaning towards flight!
       I slowly stood up. Both guys backed away like I was a ticking time bomb. The study session was definitely over.
      "Mason you're really batting a thousand this weekend. Making assumptions about my personal opinions, and eavesdropping on private conversations. Now you're jumping down people's throats without all the facts."
     Mason's face was bright red as the full force of his loud immature mouth seemed to rattle around in his brain.
       "Sorry Lucas I um... thought it was my dad's shirt. I'll return it to you."
      "No worries Koi. I lost it months ago. You can... well you can keep it if you want to."
      I just nodded my head as I gathered my books and book bag before fleeing from the room. My head was spinning with all this new information. First Mason had picked up a bad habit. I'll kick his rear for that. Then Lucas, Oh My dear sweet Creator, Lucas was interested in me? As in romantically? As in that is a possibility? Maybe? He said he wasn't sure though. Does that mean he is still hung up on Vivian? So does he want me that way or not? Would I just be his rebound? Wasn't this, I don't know, a little fast? I just figured out that I was interested in him as a person right? That there is more to him than just friend status.
    What more is there though. Was I attracted to Lucas? I honestly never felt this confused with Aspen! With him I knew from the moment I met him he was cute, and I thought it would be nice to be his girl. That's not what I felt when I walked into the kitchen earlier. The thought of what I felt then made my face flush hot.
      This was all too much. I made it to my library and slammed the door shut for good measure. Was it attraction that I was feeling with Lucas this morning? I dropped my stuff and settled into the huge purple furry bean bag in the center of the room. I sunk into the middle almost completely enveloped by it. I was ready to hide from the world for the rest of the day.
     The feeling this morning was so different from what I felt with Aspen. With him I just felt warm. It was a sweet flowing feeling that tickled the back of my neck.
     The feeling with Lucas this morning was like a bolt from the blue! It froze me in place with sudden shock. It made me almost uncomfortably hot and awkward. Yet, I didn't want it to go away. Which only made it more confusing.
    What made this even worse was I couldn't talk to Lucas or Mason about this. Usually I went straight to them when I was confused about stuff. Now I wasn't just dealing with some random conundrum. This was My Lucas, and I am way too angry to talk to Mason right now. I'm just so confused!
       Wait... why should it be any different. I am right. He is still My Lucas, and he said he was confused too. So logically speaking we should be able to figure this out together just like always. Either I end up with a boyfriend that ,I have to admit, is very attractive and knows me like the back of his hand, or he upgrades from childhood friend to something similar to Aspen. A brother or cousin through no blood relation. That could work right?
       Just as I was starting to assess the pros and cons of such a conversation, I heard Lucas talking across the hall in front of my room. Unfortunately, I also heard my pigheaded brother's voice too. I crept over to the door to listen in on them; not feeling the least bit bad about giving Mason some of his own medicine.
       "So what do we say?"
    "I think you've said enough for today Mason. Cori's right, you have stuck your foot in your mouth about as far as it will go this week."
      "Oh come on, I said I'm sorry."
    "And I gave you my reply... actions speak louder than words. You pulled this with Cori outing her in front of your parents. Now you have outed me and her to each other at a point in time that did more damage than good. I just noticed Cori's interest this morning. I'm pretty sure it's her first time noticing as well. I wanted to give her time to adjust to the idea before it came out in words."
      "So basically you were, what, communicating through your actions that your head over heels?"
     "Well yeah basically... Cori only sees me as the toothless kid who couldn't pronounce her name right. I have to get her to at least see me as a man before that smart head of her's takes it from there."
      "You're not as confused as you made yourself out to be are you?"
      "Mason, have you met your sister?"
      "So when did you realize that Vivian was a bad idea, and you liked red heads?"
      "Seriously Mason, Vivian was attractive, end of story. That doesn't mean I'm going to fall for a woman that's had more boyfriends and lovers in the last three years than Jezebel."
     Well that made me feel better. At least my rebound theory was out the door. Plus he said I was smart! Hearing him talking about me like that caused my heart to flutter.
     "So you are in love with her."
    "For about six years now. I didn't want to ruin what we had though. I'm not stupid. She has never shown even a second of attraction to me in that way, until now.  I wanted to give her space to figure herself out before I stepped up. Feeling like I haven't been there for her these past years though and getting your dad's go ahead has given me a bit of courage I guess."
      Six years! So this wasn't fast for him at all! I was shocked beyond reason. He was right! He wasn't the oblivious one. I was completely blind. On top of that, when did My Lucas become so wise? How long have I been selling him short? I've been judging him by what I had known of him and hadn't given him any room to grow or change in my eyes. Is it any wonder I'm shocked?
      "So how do we fix this?"
    Mason sounded choked up. I could almost see his pouting sad face he gets when he knows he is totally sunk.
      "I'm going to ask if I can just talk to her in her room. If she feels comfortable enough to come out and talk it over with the both of us, we will do that. If she doesn't, honestly you deserve to be thrown under the bus for my sake at this point buddy. Take one for the team."
      "Will you forgive me if I do?"
   "Sure sure, no grudge unless you cost me your sister."
        Lucas's voice was sinister and dark as those words flowed from his mouth. It made me shiver. At that moment I knew I would talk to him. Not only that, I think I want to try. If his voice on the other side of the wall can make me react like this. There is no denying I'm attracted to this new exciting version of My Lucas.
     I quickly opened the door, much to the surprise of the guys. Looking to Mason who was now plastered to the wall like a startled cat. I huffed.
     "Go sculpt a brain for yourself, I think Lucas and I deserve some time to talk without you hovering, eavesdropping, or making unreasonable demands."
     Mason looked sullen at the fire in my voice. He knew he wasn't getting out of this one that easy.
     Focusing on Lucas as he brought himself out of his slightly crouched position, I wondered again how I was so blind all this time. My Lucas is beautiful. Something shifted in me. It was done. This man is mine. I had been saying it all morning. My Lucas, how could it just click now?
     "Right resculpting my brain I'm on it... see you guys later."
     I didn't see Mason move though I heard his departure. I was happily drowning in a connection with the man in front of me that I never knew I had almost my entire life. That scared me a bit. This seemed life changing. Am I ready for this kind of commitment?
       "Koi can we talk?"
     Lucas looked so nervous. He was rubbing the back of his head again. His face caught between pained and a nervous smile. I reached for his hand with both of mine. Scared and nervous or not; I can't let him leave without fixing this awkwardness between us.
        "Great idea Lucas. Maybe you can start by telling me what my nickname means. Why would Mason throw it in your face like that?"
        "Ummm... maybe later? Just you know one step at a time."
       "Fine. If that makes you more comfortable."
      I pulled him into my library. The only furniture in the room is the various shades of purple and gray pillows scattered around the huge bean bag, and the wall to wall ash colored shelves with murals painted behind the books.
      I climbed up into my bean bag again and gestured around the room indicating for him to make himself at home.
     "I think I'll stand for this if you don't mind."
Lucas was practically vibrating out of his skin with nerves. So I could understand his need to stay on his feet.
     "So what is it you wanted to say to me Lucas."
   "You seem a lot calmer about this than I thought you would be Koi."
     "I suggest if you don't want me to ask about the nickname, you call me Cori until we sort this out."
     "Right... so you're calm, but you're still mad."
    "I'm not mad at you Lucas."
   Smiling, I held out my hand to him. When he takes it I pull him down onto the bean bag with me. He follows my lead without complaint, completely forgetting his need to move about.
     "Lucas?"
   "Yeah?"
    I catch his eyes hoping to have his full attention.
     "Are you in love with me?"
His head drops, breaking eye contact with me. It's so quiet I can hear my heart thudding in my chest waiting for his answer. After a moment taking a few deep breaths seems to calm him.
    At an unbelievably slow pace he raised his face back up to mine. The determination solidifying in his forest green eyes sent an electric plus down my spine. Lucas has never looked at me like this. As if the mask of a harmless best friend has slipped, and I'm getting my first look at the soul deep within him.

     "Yes Cori I am in love with you. I have been for a while. Can you accept that?"