2 United Conflict

Chapter 2
United Conflict

   Once inside the house we followed our usual pattern and headed straight for the kitchen. I could see my mom and dad sitting on the back patio. On days like this they always refused to waste the sun by hiding at their desks at the Inner Office to do their work. They preferred to be in the light.
       Running the family business takes up most of their days. The family is so ancient it is hard to find something we're not involved in business wise. Generations upon generations could live off of the family coffers without working and there would still be enough to ransom 100 kings.
      However, a side effect of amassing such wealth seems to be the fact that it no longer matters. My family and I live in a rather large custom five bedroom house with a guest house. Yet really the most amazing thing about it is the sunroom and access to the inner office itself. We also have a sizable amount of land, but that's more for secrecy than anything else. It's not that I don't know we have luxury. I just also know it's a tool used to survive, not something that gives you true joy.
    Every year we go to my Grandparents' retirement frame for vacation. Even though it's a small three bedroom house, and my brother and I sleep in bunk beds in the same room; I've had most of my happiest memories there. On the other hand my worst memories reside in the main house castle so full of luxury King Solomon would be jealous.
       I see the guys move towards the pantry so I walk over to the windows and rap against them with my knuckle. It successfully grabs my parents attention. I hold back a giggle as they both immediately picked up their phones to check the time. It never ceases to amaze me that they can get so buried in work that they lose time in each other's company and responsibilities.
       I can see my brother and I doing that one day. In just six months we will begin our more extensive training. By the time we are twenty five we will be the new heads of the family.
      I turn back to the ravenous boys raiding the kitchen. Seems our snack of the day is meat slices, olives, cheese cubes and ...pizza rolls?
      I hear mom and dad make their way through the door, their paperwork forgotten for now on the patio table.
     "Hey kids, I was wondering why I was getting hungry. What kept you."
      My dad was never one to mix words. He looked over us with a wide smile as he scratched at his full red beard.
      "Murdock I told you Cori wanted to pick up a new book today. It's not the kids fault the big bear didn't get himself a snack on time."
    Dad jumped when mom poked him in his side with her bear comment making him grunt and gruff in true bear fashion. It only served to prove her point.
    "So Cori hun did you find everything you wanted at the bookstore."
    Mom knows me best I suppose. She knew I didn't walk out of the store with only one book. Her eyes seem to laugh all on their own. Yet, if I am a bookworm then my mom is the rumored book dragon! Her horde certainly outclasses mine ten times over. To her I'm just a cute hatchling. Looking at her now. She is about to turn her mischievous teasing onto me if I don't think fast.
     "I found a few things."
    I smile as I think about the bag sitting on the foyer bench. It quickly sours though with my brother's pointed statements.
     "It wasn't Cori's fault we were so late mom. Old Man Sims droned on forever about the part Lucas bought from him, and we had an unfortunate run in with cousin Viv at the coffeehouse."
     I could have smacked Mason and his overprotective macho act, right in the mouth for bringing this up in front of Lucas. He knew how he felt about her.   
    Lucas has had a crush on her since freshman year. I had been careful to keep them at a distance to make sure he didn't make it on her radar.
    Lucas is a cool guy with a bit of a wild side. He is sweet though, and so mature and protective. Yet, everyone has a flaw. Lucas is ridiculously un-observant of anything outside of his interests, and just like any guy in love, that includes being able to see any of Vivian's bad attitude.
    Now all he could do was stare in surprise at his friend as my brother made his crush sound like Mason had stepped in freshly spit gum.
     I knew what He was doing. We all did except for Lucas. He had never been outspoken about his crush. He wasn't really good at hiding it though either. 
     Mason is now trying to kill two birds with one stone. He is revealing the fact that Vivian had been harassing me these three years, and that she was no good for his sister or his friend in one cryptic conversation.
      He promised he wouldn't get involved until he saw her as a family threat. I didn't realize today's transgressions would be the last straw. 
    Though I must say I was shocked at her audacity. I didn't know Mason had heard her blatantly disregard protocol at the coffeehouse. Seeing him handle it so calmly though made me pause. When did he become so good at concealing his temper? I knew he would have to eventually but this was a whole other level.
    "What do you mean unfortunate?"
    The stealy backing of being head of the family had filtered into my mother's voice. Mason looked up towards me and Lucas for a moment then hardened his resolve.
    Shocked as I was, I understood. One look was all it took for him to know I would support his decision and help him deal with the consequences. He was doing this for our own good; ours, Lucas, and the families.
    "We didn't want to alarm you, but Vivian has a bit of a jealousy streak. She has been deliberately antagonizing Cordeliah since she got here. At first it wasn't bad. She was just a brat. I have however, begun to witness acts of violence, verbal abuse and attempts of mental attack on Cordeliah only. Towards myself she has simply been uncomfortably salacious."
     "WHAT!!!"
     I exploded at that last sentence. How could that wench be such a slut.
    "Cori please calm down."
     Daddy came around the table and put his hand on my shoulder as he kneeled by my side.
      "It's alright let your brother finish."
    My dad always knew how to calm me with a single word. Looking over at Lucas I watched as his shocked face melted into one of pain as he stared at his forgotten plate. Then his face flushed red with obvious anger as he took in the implications of my brother's words.
      "Are you telling me that Viv has been bullying Little Koi for three years, then tried to seduce you while you're still a minor?"
     Now Lucas's face looked to be fighting between disgust and righteous rage. He hadn't called me Little Koi since we were kids.
      It was our first summer together after meeting. We were allowed home for summer since we showed great aptitude for control. Lucas had lost his front teeth and was having trouble saying his Rs. Trying to say my nickname it came out sounding like Koi, the fish in dad's pond. My brother couldn't miss the chance and called me fishy for the rest of the day till Lucas walloped him in the back of the head. He exclaimed at the top of his lungs that even if I was a fish I was a Koi fish and they are pretty anyway.
      After that he continued calling me little Koi even after his teeth grew back in. I thought he had outgrown it since he stopped once he entered high school.
      Mason looked at him calmly if not a little sad and simply stated,
    "Yes she did."
    At that point Lucas was up out of his chair pacing the kitchen to calm down. Everyone let him be.
     "Alright Mason I need more details if I'm going to handle this appropriately."
    The icy look on my mom's face could chill a room.
     "Where shall I start?"
     "Start at the beginning son."
     Mom's tone was so edged you could sharpen a knife on it. It was the tone she used when Uncle Vance got out of line. I guess, like father , like daughter.
     "The harassment started with verbal abuse, name calling, sarcastic remarks, and trying her best to belittle Cori's confidence. After a year in college she started using her knowledge in psychology to mentally attack her. Every conversation was backward comments meant to make herself look good while putting Cori down. Later she became more bold. Pushing, pinching, going into her room and destroying a few books; the latest and most recent of her transgressions explains why Cori hasn't read and walked in the garden this week."
      At that moment he glared at me. I could understand why. Vivian plays soccer as her own pass time. She didn't like the fact that I would walk around in what she had claimed as her practice area. Which just so happened to be the garden the three of us had planted together.
     I looked down at the barely there scars on my hands. She had claimed it was an accident. She had been fairly upset herself, so I didn't say anything. However, my brother seemed to know more than I did.
    I witnessed Vivian lineup a shot at Cori's head with her soccer ball. We all know Vivian's talent in the sport. If I hadn't witnessed her upset I would have trusted my eyes when I saw it. The soccer ball hit Cori in the head at just the right time to send her falling into the briar Rose. She seemed fine and Vivian was helping her so I kept silent and let Cori deal with it since I was already running late. Days later though I heard her laughing over it with her evil friends at the boardwalk.
     "Oh Cori, why didn't you tell us?"
    My mom looked ready to cry though she was fighting it. How she switched from being so scary to so fragile would always be a mystery to me.
      "Well she seemed sincerely sorry so I thought it was truly an accident. I've never seen her in any of her games. I thought I was being helpful letting her practice there without me distracting her this week."
     With this new news that she had done it on purpose I was down right crabby! How dare she! I mean she could have put my eyes out! Not to mention like an idiot I bought her crap about needing a place to practice. I hadn't been in the garden at all since last Monday because of her lies about some stupid big game coming up.
      "Okay Honey we understand. However, you should have come to us about the other matters at the very least."
      "I guess that's true but she didn't really bother me. She was just a petty jerk so I avoided her."
       "And you call me oblivious!"
    Lucas snarled from across the room.
"If you don't put your foot down of course the wench is going to escalate!"
    Lucas looked like he was chewing nails at this point.
      "Alright Lucas keep calm. There is some beef jerky in the pantry."
     Mom's words made him pause. Only she could deal with all this drama and still worry about Lucas's teeth. I couldn't help but giggle at the look of interest on his face. It wasn't long until he disappeared back into the pantry only to return with the bag open and a big piece of jerky midway to his mouth.
       "Alright son, you have explained her transgressions against your sister. Now it's your turn."
     I don't know why dad was smiling when he said that. I was down right indignant over it.
     Mason on the other hand looked like he was about to burst with mischievous glee. A squeak of laughter escaped my mother's mouth. I met Lucas's eyes with disbelief, but he looked like he was the cat who caught the canary! What was I missing?
     "She came to my room two nights ago under the excuse that she had a paper to write and wanted an interview. It was an obvious lie, but I went along with it. I wanted to see what she was really up to.
     According to her, everyone believes I'm the more capable twin when it comes to taking over the family business. She wanted to help me make connections with the right people within the families. What happened after should not be said in front of my sister."
   I was indignant, so what if I hadn't perfected my individual ability yet. I had plenty of time to experiment. What did he mean he can't say in front of me?
     Mason's face was turning red and he looked rather put out.
"What do you mean? You didn't sleep with that tramp right?!"
    At my outburst everyone fell out laughing while my brother sputtered and turned an interesting shade of puce.
    "I don't think you need to worry Koi. I can understand your anger since I'm pretty ticked off at Vivian too, but I doubt Mason was in any danger."
    Lucas chuckled at the look on my face as he explained further.
    "Your Brother has a bit of a reputation for being harsh with overly aggressive women. I think Heather at school still can't stand to be in the same room with him after he shut her down."
      After a good amount of teasing, all around laughter and my brother giving me his oath that he would never so much as flirt with Vivian let alone sleep with her; my family finished our group snack and went our separate ways.
      Lucas seemed to be coming out of his anger and had settled for a pout that if pointed out he would deny three times before the rooster crow.
        We meandered over to our areas of the sunroom ready to relax, tinker, and create. The sun was barely starting it's descent. The bright light streaming in through the glass and steel structure. Speckles of rainbow colors danced around the room from the stained glass panels that created the framework of the Garden entrance and the very top of the dome ceiling.
        Mason took that moment to open the French doors to allow the fragrance of the garden in. We were just getting through the rainy months and I am hoping to see more sunny days like this past week. Listening to the rain and watching the world blur is comforting and relaxing as well, but after so long I was starting to feel a bit gloomy about it.
       "So guys are you ready to listen or should I maybe paint for a bit first?"
      Both sets of eyes flickered to the book resting innocently in my hands. We all knew that once we started the book; quiet and focused creativity was out the window. Comments, Discussions, Roarus laughter and improv reenactments would occur without fail.
      The boys would still work and listen. It would just constantly be derailed by our interest in the book and personal commentary.
      "I don't mind if you want to start now. The part I'm working on just needs a good cleaning before I install it. So yeah, I'm good if you're good. How about you Mason?"
       "That sounds good to me Sis. I'm just working on some concept drawings."
        Both of them were still acting so nonchalant. I would let them hold onto their pride though. I was anxious to begin as well. I mean what kind of wonderfully sadistic writer leaves you on such a daring cliffhanger at the end of the first book.
         We spent the rest of the afternoon devouring the first seven chapters. My sides hurt from laughing at the guys' reactions and my cheeks are sore from smiling. I wish every Friday could be like this forever.
        Just as our laughter dies down from another kick in the pants from my new favorite writer and Mason and Lucas's over the top exacerbation with the story characters; my mom walks in smiling at our disheveled states and abandoned projects.
        Lucas has shoved his hands through his hair so many times it's standing on end. I'm still giggling with tears in my eyes and Mason has a red palm mark on his forehead as he paces around the room.
       "I take it that the Chaos writer has struck again?"
      My mom's smile once again slipped into mischief.
    "You don't know the half of it mom."
Mason grumbles as he points at my new book.
    "That writer is a menace I tell you!"
    I smile at his antics before remembering my cheeks ache and wince instead.
      "Alright you three you've put off dinner long enough. I want to get the kitchen cleaned so if you are eating go grab a plate. Lucas, are you staying this weekend?"
     "Yes ma'am at least for tonight. I got the part disassembled, but I still have to clean it and put it back together. What's on the menu tonight?"
     "I just set up a taco bar tonight since I have to help Murdock finish up some paperwork. You three don't forget your finals next week. I know you've already been studying, but it doesn't hurt to gloss over it again before Monday."
    "Yes Mom," Mason and I say in unison while Lucas just smiles before giving her a hug.
    "You got it Aunt Liv, I'll keep these brats on point."
   "Hey!"
Mason and I shouted while mom and Lucas ignored us.
     "I'll hold you to that promise Lucas. It means more than you know."
    The room went quiet as Mom's face turned so serious. Just as Lucas started to get fidgety, mom couldn't hold it anymore. She left the room laughing as Lucas followed her complaining about how she took years of his life.
     "Why does mom have to tease us so much? She totally freaked me out just then."
    Mason let out a mock shiver as if to shake off the seriousness of the last few seconds.
     "You know mom, she can't bear to miss the chance to tease us."
     I can feel the mischievous grin I inherited from her stretch across my face. My brother pauses standing motionless at the sight of it.
      We're at a standoff, he knows I'm up to something as I slowly make my way to his work table.
"What are you up to Cori...? You heard mom, we have to get to dinner."
    I keep my eyes locked on him. Knowing any second he will bolt and I will miss my chance.
      He knew this was coming. Lucas is no longer in the room and even if he was helping, he deserved his reward for calling me out in front of mom and dad without talking to me first.
      "Brother dear, I don't have the slightest understanding of what you mean! I simply thought you could use some help putting away your things for the night."
     I gesture to his work table still littered with his sketchbook and assorted pencils.
      "That's fine, I can handle it. You go on and get something to eat."
     His lips barely move as he speaks. He is so still my senses begin to lose awareness of him as he does his best to blend into the background.
     He knows he will lose if he can't completely hide his presence. While I know I will lose if I so much as blink.
I can feel him start to mentally squirm under my gaze.
    I know I have him. He knows I have him. Just as panic starts to creep into his eyes I look away.
    "Just talk to me next time before you dump me before Mom and Dad's good graces okay?"
    Looking down I begin to do just as I said I would as I slowly arrange his colored pencils back into their container. Mason lets out a heavy sigh as he slowly releases his stranglehold on his presence.
      "I get it Cori... I'm sorry."
     The moment he moves however, the stick men I've been drawing for the better part of an hour scurry away from his feet as he falls flat on his face with his shoe laces tied in impossible knots. I burst into laughter and in between goffs; I finally work the words past my lips.
   "One good dump deserves another brother!"
    Mason is still looking up at me from the floor with wide shocked eyes before he finally chuckles to himself and shakes his head. Looking down at his shoes he cringes. My little friends did quite a number on his laces.