20 Better Fighter

Chapter 20
Better Fighter

   I went straight to Luc's room. I had basically moved in at this point since Akila and Aspen had taken my room. Not that I am complaining. Luc watched me from the bed. His arms propping up his head as his eyes followed me around the room as I lit the meditation candles. Once I made my rounds and started to make my way towards him, he reached out for me. Opening his arms for me to crawl into my spot at his side.
    "You talked to Aspen."
    He said it as a statement not a question.
    "Yes, I drew the line."
    "You didn't have to do that."
    "Yes, I did. I love you. If Aspen can't understand that then I can't continue to associate with someone who attacks you at every turn."
    "I can't say it doesn't tick me off when he comes at me with his misguided accusations, but he did have a point earlier. I could have forced myself on you that day in a way I would forever regret."
    "I'm pretty sure the only one that left that tussle with bumps and bruises was you."
   "Oh really, maybe you're right. Maybe I should keep my guard up around you. Just in case you turn wild cat on me again."
    "Very funny. A girls gotta do what a girls gotta do when her guy goes berserk. You're lucky I only bit your neck."
    "If it leads to what happened after koi you can bite me anytime."
    Slapping at his chest, I huffed at him in response. He has been teasing me about that day any time we are alone now. Asking if I'm really descended from angels or vampires. The teeth marks on his neck stayed there for about four hours before fading away. Mason got such a kick out of it.
    "So what now?"
    I didn't have to wonder what he meant. Aspen had outright refused to let Luc into the meetings involving the plan to free my parents. It didn't stop me from keeping him in the loop though.
    "Aspen says that the Inner Office won't open its doors for another week. The rebels have surrounded the house though. At least twenty family groups from both branch families."
    "What's the total number?"
    "About a hundred and sixty one."
    Luc let out a low whistle.
    "Is there still no way to tell whether or not your side doesn't have a mole or two?"
    "We could force each person into the interrogation room. It's basically a room used to find the secrets of the most dangerous criminals, but I can't ask them to each take a turn in there. It could be highly offensive to some of them and destroy a potential ally. They have the right to refuse to offer aid."
   There are at least sixty family units that hold neutral ground for the sake of safety. I can't force them to fight when Harrace has already made it clear in the last war that he is only hostile against those that challenge his beliefs.
   "So what are his beliefs?"
   "That the Vita families should stand supreme above all Cogs. He wants us to come forward. To select only the chosen few to join with our blood and create a Paradise. He doesn't add to that though that he wants to do it on the backs of Cogs. Anytime, one race holds itself as superior thousands of innocents suffer for their selfish comforts. It's sick."
    "Sounds pretty messed up."
    "Yeah well it didn't work out to swell for the Greeks. Most of those myths aren't that far off."
    "Why didn't you guys just kill him?"
    "The Vitas don't believe in the death penalty without murder. He never killed anyone. There are worse things than death anyway. I would beg for death before being locked forever within a sealed painting. That kind of loneliness would make me go mad."
    I shook my head to relieve myself of that image. Luc kissed my temple.
    "What about now? I understand quite a few council members didn't make it out alive this go round."
  "Honestly, I don't know how long the idealistic thought of no death penalty will last after the blood spilt this time. In the last war Nephilim he caught were trapped in paintings saying he would free them when the new world was established. He even locked up his best friend's wife. We are still trying to recover unaccounted for people. There were no proven deaths so we couldn't, according to our laws, execute him."
     "So you're going in against a hundred and Sixty one people with only your most trusted soldiers, Mason, and Aspen to back you up? I'm going with you."
    "No you're not Luc."
    I sat up, breaking his hold on me with a sigh. I knew this conversation was coming. I was just hoping I could hold it off for a couple more days.
    He sat up beside me putting his hands on my shoulders.
    "Tell me why someone who has trained with the head of the intelligence division since he was eight should be left at home."
    His voice is smooth and calm. He says it almost jokingly, like he can't believe I even suggested it. I know I'm right though. I won't be focused if I'm constantly worried about the target on his back. Not to mention the house itself will be to foreign to Luc. He will be out of his element there.
   "I won't be at my best worrying about you as you fight your way through an unfamiliar environment. Not to mention mom made it clear you are at risk. Whatever secret they are hiding about you makes you an unknown. You will have to fight twice as hard as anyone else in the room just to stay on your feet."
   I know my words hurt his pride. He pushed off the bed in a huff and started to pace.
   Turning back to me he put his hands on the back of his head scrubbing them through his hair in frustration.
   "That just means I'll make a good distraction. You could use that advantage considering the overwhelming numbers. Besides who says you get to tell me whether I stay here or go with you?"
    "I do, as your General. You did sign up as a Hunter last Tuesday so that you could train with Fredrick and Christopher, right?"
My voice was barely a whisper. I felt awful pulling rank on him. It sucks, but I have to stick to my guns on this one.
    "If you wanted a shot at going you should have signed up with the intelligence division and taken it up with Mason. Not that I think his answer would differ from mine."
    "So what? I stay home and brew hot cocoa for when everyone gets back, and hope you come back to drink it."
    "Oh I'll be back. I prefer marshmallows in mine."
    "Cori you can't do this to me!"
     "Yes I can! I am top dog when it comes to my Hunters. The moment you signed up, that included you. It's my job to keep you alive."
     "I'm the better fighter!"
     "Oh really? Alright."
     Luc couldn't quite understand my one-eighty behavior. He watched me cautiously as I made my way off the bed to the door.
    "So you're letting me go?"
    "No, I'm giving you a chance to earn your way into going. Follow me."
    "Where are we going?"
    "You will see."
    Luc and I made our way through the house to the backyard past the pool. Mason had Christopher set up a training yard in the large grass area to whip Aspen into shape and bump up Luc's skills as a Nephilim.
   As we approached the yard Aspen was being thrown to the ground by my brother who still looked fresh while Aspen was covered in grass stains. Christopher and Fredrick were sparring in the corner trying to stay out of Mason's way.
    "Okay I give! Enough already. Are you training me or just using me for a practice dummy?"
   Mason's face split from ear to ear in a smile full of mischief.
   "If you act like a dummy I'll treat you like a dummy. Just be glad I worked off some steam on the weights first."
   "Hey Mason, I brought your second student down, but I wonder if I can borrow him for a moment to settle a little wager."
   Mason looked between Luc and me assessing my mischievous mood and Luc's disgruntled pout. He smirked a bit before shouting across the yard.
   "Alright guys take a break. Your General wishes to spar!"
   The Hunters whooped one good time before settling in the grass to watch.
   "What's going on?" Aspen asked, as he walked up pulling his shirt up over his head. The motion dislodge his glasses. So out of habit I turned to him and pushed them back up his nose with practiced ease. As usual he leaned in obligingly.
  "Hey..."
   Luc grabbed my hand pulling me away while eyeing Aspen.
   "That's what it takes to get a reaction out of you?"
   "Yeah keep your glasses to yourself four eyes!"
   Aspen busted out laughing. All of us stood stunned. It's barely been an hour. What is he up to now? When he finally sobered up he turned to me, and bowed.
  " I would like to formally request the chance to right the offenses against you and my new brother in our family My Lady."
   I was flabbergasted! So I stood there a moment just trying to figure out why he is taking it this far. Apologizing like this would put Aspen in debt to Luc. It gives him the ability to request one thing from Aspen, and no matter what it is Aspen will have to comply. Not even the head of the family can interfere with the request.
  "Why?"
  Aspen didn't raise his head.
  "Because Cori, I was wrong. Regardless of my burdens I shouldn't have taken it out on your intended. I'm responsible for it all; Putting you in danger, challenging your authority with my blatant disrespect of your choice, and the unwarranted insults to Lucas. This is the least I can do to make up for my behavior. Most of all, Lucas is right. I don't want to lose my family."
   Now this is more like it! This is Aspen. I have missed him these last three days.
   "Make your apology Aspen with my blessing. I will allow it. As long as any request that ends with him fighting with the rebels before he is ready is restricted from the offer."
   "Hey I don't know what's going on, but that's not fair!"
I looked back at Luc and winked.
  "Don't worry you still have a chance with me."
   "Thank you. Cori, I understand."
   Without another word Aspen kneeled in front of Luc and gave a formal apology.
   Luc was completely confused until Mason took pity on Aspen's knees and walked Luc through the process of accepting Aspen's request. Now Aspen would simply have to wait until Luc is ready to forgive him and complete the ritual by calling in his debt.
  After Aspen got back to his feet he held out his hand to Luc. After a wary pause Luc took his hand and shook it.
   "You realize I still don't like you right? First impressions are hard to change."
   Aspen grinned.
   "That's alright Lucas. I still don't like you either, but a man owns up to his mistakes. Besides, like Cori said, there is no reason we can't be civilized."
   "Right..."
   Luc arched his brow in suspicion and dropped his hand a bit forcefully. Then he turned to me.
   "I'd like an explanation, Koi. How does coming out to the training yard earn me a spot on the battle front?"
   Mason and the two Hunters burst out into laughter. Aspen looked around confused, and Luc was getting more annoyed.
   "Guys that's enough, tone it down."
    I pulled a hair tie off my wrist and swept my hair up into a tail.
   "You said you were the better fighter. If you can prove that here and now I will let you join the battle. I'll even give you ten minutes to take me down with a weapon of your choice. If I win though you stay home and I get my hot cocoa with tiny marshmallows. Agreed?"
   Now Luc was smiling; confident in his abilities.
   "Agreed, what are the rules?"
   "Simply pin your opponent for a ten count and win, or lose when the ten minutes are up or you get pinned."
   "You think you can pin me? Maybe while my abilities were still locked."
    "Ohhhh!"
    The guys jeered.
   "Wait, he is fighting Cori? I don't think this is a good idea!"
    "Chill Aspen I'll go easy on her."
    "You better."
    Mason, Chris and Fred just kept laughing behind their hands.
    "Do I have time to go grab some popcorn?"
   My brother can be so childish.
    "No Mason this is serious."
    I walked away from the three of them towards the weapons rack by Chris and Fred. I looked through the five fighting staffs before I chose a bow that suited me in weight and length.
    Taking off my top shirt so I could move more easily in my tank top, I handed it to Fred.
    "Does he know you trained us My Lady?"
    "Shhhh."
    I held my finger to my lip and winked at them as I walked to the middle of the arena.
    "Pick your weapon Luc."
    Luc shrugged out of his shirt grinning, not taking this seriously at all.
   "I don't need a weapon, you can use one."
   "Oh you will need a weapon buddy."
   Chris got up and sorted through the four other bows before bringing over two for Luc to choose from.
   Luc shrugged his shoulders and made his choice flippantly.
   "Just do your best to keep her at a distance or get under her guard if you can. Otherwise, try not to blink too much and you might last a minute."
   "Wait what?"
   "Are we going to do this or not? Mason, will you referee?"
   Swing the bow around my body. I smirked at Luc.
   "Come on sweetie, show me what you got."
  "Whatever you say little Koi."
  I did my best to relax into my stance. As soon as Mason started the match I wanted to end this quickly. Luc stood before me twirling the bow between his hands. I love this man truly I do, but he could just be so gosh darn cocky sometimes.
   As soon as Mason started the spar Luc lunged for me using his bow to try and strike mine from my hands. I slipped past his strike on the inside of his guard, bringing my bow behind my back with my left hand and flicking his ear hard with my right. By the end of my movement I was behind him giving him a good poke in his knee to throw his balance. Then I whipped him in his rear just to prove a point.
   Luc ended up on one knee kneeling in the grass. I walked around him no longer giving warning shots when he tried to get back up. I bashed the ankle of his supporting leg before flicking my bow around to come down across his shoulders. One more rotation earned him a pointed shot to his ribs. So far all he had accomplished was showing me subservience.
    Finally it seemed Luc was ready to take this seriously as he rolled away from me and forced himself onto his feet. Though he was already at a severe disadvantage with a limp shaking leg. Taking so many hits to the right side of his body has screwed up his balance. He won't be able to make a charge to get under my guard unless I get closer. On the other hand he won't be able to keep his distance well with that leg.
   I pressed my advantage focusing on wearing down his guard as I hammered down resounding cracks against his bow, shaking his arms. He is falling back on patterns he has practiced all his life trying to gain some footing. It just makes him easier to read since he hasn't developed his own style yet.
   I can't hold back here. I can't show mercy. If he can't handle me for five minutes out of the ten he will get captured or worse. I do what I must to get my point across as I easily break his guard knocking his bow away from him, sweep his legs, and attack his ribs directly in the same previous point of contact. The shock forces him to the ground.
   Laying my bow against his neck I stand over him as he tries to breath through the pain. The ten count is called and Luc's loss is confirmed.
    Standing back from him, I turned away.
    "Help him up."
    I couldn't look at him right now. I was afraid to see the anger and bruised pride all first trainees show me when I knocked them from their high horse.
    "You still fight like a human Luc. I love you. I hope you're not too angry with me. Mason please help Chris get him patched up."
    With those last words I walked away to the sound of Aspen yelling.
    "What the heck was that!"
    Mason simply stated. "The General of the Hunters."