3 Growing Pains

Chapter 3
Growing Pains

     As Mason falling was my only goal; I only teased him a little bit before I helped him remove his shoes for my stick figures to get to work on setting them to rights.
    Lucas took one look at my brother's disgruntled face and bare feet when we walked into the kitchen and grinned.
     "So how did you get even Little Koi?"
     He could barely hold in his chuckles.
    "I simply showed him what it's like to be blindsided, Lucas. No drama."
    I smiled from ear to ear as I made my plate. Sitting down next to Lucas we giggled like children again as Mason grumbled and made his own plate.
    "You two are impossible! Last I checked, tripping someone on purpose wasn't that funny."
     "You tripped him?"
    "Of course not Lucas he simply bowed to good reason."
     "Oh? What good reason is that dear sister?"
    Mason sat across from us with his arms crossed; his plate of food yet to be touched.
    "The good reason of not angering your smarter mischievous sister dear brother."
      Lucas lost control of his laughter at that. As always Lucas's laugh was contagious as it spread first to me then finally to the ridged Mason who melted like butter.
    "Fine fine, you win this round. We're even, but don't think I won't get you back if you make a habit of this."
    "I'd say we are almost even brother; as I think I should get a free pass as well after your antics tonight."
   "Don't push your luck Sis...."
    "I don't know Mason. I agree with Koi."
   Lucas smiled before taking another big bite of food and chewing.
   "How do you figure?"
   Mason said with slight panic.
    "Don't play innocent. Practice what you preach. You have apologized, I take it, but actions speak louder than words. That's what Aunt Liv always says."
   "That's right Mason, words don't mean much in this family if your actions don't back them up."
   I might as well have been a Chesher cat at this point.
I was nibbling happily on my taco salad while I watched my brother squirm under his own conscience and his sense of survival.
    "Fine, what do you want!"
   Mason was practically vibrating at this point. You could tell how uncomfortable this was making him. Being at odds with both Lucas and me at the same time never sat well with him at all.
   Lucas seemed to be getting back at him by reinforcing Mason's need to make it straight with me.
While I was still slightly miffed he didn't talk to me first before going to our parents. It wasn't like him.
    "I want you to explain in your own words why you thought it best to ignore my wishes and to go straight to mom and dad before talking to me again. Do you find me so unreasonable or unreliable?"
    I was losing my good mood as I finally realized how much this actually hurt me. The distress was coming through in my voice causing both boys to squirm now.
    "Cori, that's not what I meant. I was trying to protect you. You always said you were fine. I didn't think you could see the big picture this time. I was wrong to assume."
    "Yes you were! If we are going to work together in the future I have to be able to trust you which means you have to trust me too. If you had taken the time to confront me you would have known that I came to the same conclusion you did tonight. I was planning to talk to mom about Vivian's behavior. However, she never would have gotten the punishment she deserved even if I did talk to mom, because as you know, I was missing crucial evidence. Which I would have had if we had worked together! Do you see my point here Mason."
     "How was I supposed to know you were finally willing to put your pride aside?"
    Mason looked more indignant than repentive.
     "I've had to sit on the side lines for years watching her treat you like trash. You never stood up for yourself before!"
     "Childish antics were not enough to get her kicked out of the candidate running for the board Mason. You know that! I needed her to be complacent. Willing to take it farther until she couldn't defend her actions."
     Mason looked shocked as he took in my response.
    "I've told you for years I'm fine and to have patience. I'm glad we came to the same conclusion today, but come to me next time so we can show a united front."
    "Oh...well, wow... So while I was focused on stopping a highschool bully you were thinking about the family business? I guess I was the one not looking at the bigger picture."
    Both boys were now looking at me in shock and awe. Frankly, it is making me feel a little uncomfortable.
   "What?"
     I couldn't take it anymore. They were looking at me like they didn't know me.
   "Mason, our little Koi fish, got too big for her pond long before we noticed."
    "I know what you mean, all this time I thought I was looking ahead for our future. She was leaps and bounds ahead of me."
    "Guys knock it off!"
The attention was too much. I reached across the table to shove Mason's plate at him.
     "You guys better eat before mom comes in and clears your plate."
     "Yes My Lady!"
    Mason half stood and bowed over the table.
  "That title is so annoying! Just eat your taco you jerk."
    The boys broke into laughter as I sat grumbling over my salad and stabbing at it with my fork.
     "Alright alright we're sorry Cori we'll be good."
   Mason slapped Lucas on his back good naturedly in a bad attempt to help him control himself. I just glared at them both before ignoring them in favor of eating.
     "We should probably set up our study schedule for tomorrow. We should go over everything before Monday like mom said. Never hurts to be careful right?"
    I was thankful for the change in subject. I wanted to get back to more normal things. It was difficult talking about family issues in front of Lucas who only thought we were heirs to a huge business conglomerate.
    "What did you mention that for? Now I'll never get that part reassembled tomorrow."
    "Small price to pay Lucas for good grades."
   "Speak for yourself. I'm the top of my class! I don't need to go over it all again."
    "Oh in that case you can tudor us! Mason's face split into a grin as he knew he had Lucas cornered."
    "Koi is right, you are a jerk."
     "I believe my friend, she called you that."
    "If I left you out of that statement Mason I revise it now. You're both jerks but you're the lovable kind of jerks so I forgive you. I would be grateful as well for any help you could offer Lucas. Trig has me confused on a few points. I'd appreciate you explaining it to me if you could?"
     Hook line and sinker! Thanks Mason I'll accept your olive branch, and gladly shackle Lucas to a desk tomorrow! I can't laugh though. I've got to hold this troubled poor pitiful look just a bit longer so Lucas will agree.
     "Oh man don't look at me like that Koi!"
Lucas started to fidget, forcing himself to look away. He didn't last long before peeking at me again.
     "Fine, I'll help." He gave in with a sigh. "So you can lose the damsel in distress act."
    Turning to my brother with a sudden wide smile he kicked him under the table.
    "Ow!"
    Mason exclaimed with his mouth full of food. He pulled his leg up rubbing at his shin.
    "What was that for?"
    "Mason, you're helping me catch up on that restoration Sunday to pay for this study session buddy."
     "Wait, she said she is the one that needs the help. Why do I have to pay for it?"
    Lucas shrugged his shoulders and turned back to his own food.
     "Cause you're the one that just offered me up on your I'm sorry silver platter to make up with her."
     I couldn't hold it in anymore after that. Imagining Lucas tied up on a silver platter with his grumpy I'm gonna get you face was too much for my brain. I broke into laughter giving into Lucas's demand to drop the act.
    After we cleaned up dinner we each headed to our rooms. Out of the five bedrooms up stairs I chose one of the ones in the west wing as we laughingly call it. Then my brother stays in the third floor loft. Which was really meant as a large guest suite, but after having to share our house with so many guests day in and day out the guest house was built. It started slowly really. My brother started sneaking up there to get away from everything. Then he started leaving some stuff up there. Next thing my parents knew it was his room and the room in the north wing was the new guest room. Not that that lasted long either as it is now Lucas's room, and what was Lucas's room across from mine is now my precious library.
     I don't think our parents minded us branching out. They had the whole east wing suit to themselves, and it happened slowly as we grew. So I guess they just saw it as natural.
    There is a kind of unspoken agreement that no one goes into anyone else's claimed space without being invited or asking though.
    I had just finished laying out all my new conquests on my bed. Smiling, I leafed through the pages of the closest one trying to decide which I would devour first when there came a knock on my door. I don't want to get up. I'm contemplating just telling whichever boy is out there bugging me to pester someone else when I hear my dad's voice asking if he can come in.
    "Come on in dad, I'm decent!"
I quickly crab crawl off my bed over my books trying not to push any off. My dad slowly opens the door and pokes his head in. It makes it clear he has only a quick message. That means one of two things. Inner office meetings or a quick are you okay I'm worried, but don't want to push, but I'm your dad and it's my job moment.
    I honestly don't mind the latter. It always leaves me with a warm cozy feeling. The other option though might get a well deserved sigh. I'm mentally tired and not far behind physically. I just want to read till I fall asleep amongst my thousands of pillows and piles of soft cozy blankets. My bed resembles more of a fluff mountain than a bed.
    "Hey kid you okay?"
   "Yeah I'm okay I'm just tired is all."
    I say this feeling a bit hopeful that this is just a checkup.
    "That's good honey you know I worry."
     "I'll be okay dad I promise."
    "Listen...."
Darn it, it's a meeting!
    "Your mother and I need to talk to you and your brother about something coming up this next week. Could you come to the office?"
     The request sounded like a simple family meeting that would happen in a simple family home. It was far from such a normal occurrence though. My family unit of four would not be the only ones present at this announcement.
     "Sure dad, no problem, I'll see you down there."
     As he shuts the door I can feel the soothing smile I usually have for my dad when he does his head poke routine slip off my face as I begin to pout. I just got my PJs on. Well I guess no use in grumbling. I walk into my closet to grab something comfortable. The inner office is not getting more than casual from me at ten o'clock at night. My mom can huff at me later.
    Once I'm dressed in a simple t-shirt dress and belt with my favorite flip-flops; I head out the door. Mason is just coming down the stairs with a matching pout on his face as he is tying his hair back again in the short tail at the back of his head.
     Another tradition derived from Samson's history integrated into our own. Every male head of house kept their hair longer. Mason draws the line at his neck. He refuses to grow it any longer than that, claiming it's a pain to deal with. I personally think he looks good like that. Any longer and it plasters to his head. Any shorter and it curls to his scalp like a fro. The perfect combination of mom's curls and dad's spikes.
     The only exception to his rule is the only slightly longer mostly hidden braid behind his left ear.
It's the exact opposite of mine. With a single tiny yin charm latched to the black hair tie holding it together. My braid is behind my right ear, the same length as his ,though my hair is longer, with the matching charm yang latched to my white hair tie.
     It's rare that anyone really notices them because they are so small. It might be a bit clique for twins to wear the Yin/Yang symbol. We feel it fits us though.
     He raised an eyebrow at my choice in attire, but said nothing as he finished buttoning his vest. His tie was crooked again. Walking up to him I straightened it for him.
      "I don't know why you're so strict with yourself Mason. They are the ones calling us at ten o'clock at night."
   I couldn't help grumbling while suddenly feeling like I should have put in more effort.
     "We aren't children anymore Cori. I'm just trying to be respectful."
        "So should I go back and put on my Sunday best?"
     "No, this is my choice. Besides I have a feeling our dear cousin will be present at this meeting. If you're going to have to confront her and deal with the council; I want you to be comfortable."
     "I appreciate the support, but I'm going in there tonight with straight facts. I have no need to play victim."
    "Hey my sister is no one's victim."
    Smiling from ear to ear, he clicked his heels together then offered his arm to me like a gentleman from Pride and Prejudice.
    It was cheesy moments like this that helped me break the tension. Mason knew this. It was definitely scoring him points to already show correction to his previous actions. It would certainly show a united front to the council to walk in escorted by him.
     At the moment though I just took his arm with a small smile as I focused on not falling since being on any set of stairs still makes me uncomfortable. The last thing I need is to go into the meeting with a developing black eye.
     It's not like I'm clumsy or afraid of heights. That's not the problem. It's just that once you get over two stories on any man made building I get iffy. I can never tell if it's the small shifts in the building I'm feeling that makes me uneasy or if I'm just shaky myself. Point is I don't like staircases.
    Finally on the ground floor Mason guides us towards the foyer. Turning our backs to the front door; we both look at the huge mural painted on the opposite wall.
    Depicted across the wall was a quiet city street and a line of brownstones located in New York City. Everyone who takes a moment to ask is informed that it is my Grandfather's childhood home that was remodeled and still owned by the family.
    "Ready for this Sis?"
    Mason is starting to bounce a little on his toes with his own nervous energy.
    "Sure."
     I latched onto his arm with both hands now not only to steady him, but to steady my nerves as well.
    "Let's just get this over with so we can get some sleep."
     Mason leaned forward to touch the mural with just the tips of his fingers. When a soft barely there light began to glow on contact and the mural seemed to ripple we knew we could safely make our way through.