12 Truth or Date

Chapter 12
Truth or Date
     The rest of the night we danced and talked to people we knew. We met up with Mason and Lisa a few times on the dance floor. Mason snagged me for a few dances, but always made sure Lisa was taking a break with Luc or had a different dance partner at the time.
    Finally they played the last slow dance and announced it was time for us to head home. Mason and Lisa were headed upstairs to the after party suit. Some girls' big shot daddy had rented it for them to watch movies and party the night away. Lisa tried to get us to go with them, but Lucas just shook his head and said we have our own plans.
     The ride home in the Limo went by in a blur as I dozed on Luc's shoulder. I woke to him tapping at my nose.
     "Cori...? Coooorriiii? Come on Koi you can't sleep through my surprise."
     I slowly shook off my sleepiness and opened my eyes.
     "There's a good girl, come on, you're going to love this!"
    Luc stepped out of the limo and held my hand to help me out. We were in the garden next to the ivy wall. Twinkle lights, candles and cushions were set up in front of a large white hanging sheet.
   Just as I was about to think this couldn't get any better the movie menu popped up on the screen.
   I turned around to look at the limo as I suddenly realized why it was stuffed with classic movie theater snacks! On top of the limo was a small movie projector.
    I looked at Luc in shock as the opening scenes for my favorite movie "Brenda Star'' began to play. Artwork coming to life and allowing someone from our world into the funny pages. How could I not relate!
    "Luc this is so perfect!"
   I was in complete awe as he led me over to the pillows where I found my cake and edible cookie dough. The smell of hot fresh popcorn began to fill the air as I found myself on the most perfect date. I couldn't even draw it better than this. Though this is definitely a memory I would do my best to capture and relive later.
    "I have to admit Mason helped. For a girl who reads so much I didn't realize you were such a movie buff. I've got Xanadu to watch if you prefer that. I personally have never seen these movies, but Mason said you really love them. We only really have time for one though, sorry."
   I turned to look back at him. He took in the happiness I'm sure is splashed across my face, and he relaxed.
   "Luc this is better than anything I could have ever dreamed. Thank you."
   I walked back to him to cup his face with my hand before reaching up on my tiptoes and pressing a quick kiss to his lips.
    "I love it, and Brenda Star is good. I can introduce you to the others later."
   Of course I love them. Any movie that made me feel even slightly normal growing up was stashed in my library in almost every media form, plus backups.
    I can't help but be reminded about my secret for a moment. Will he react like Sonny Malone or Mike when he finds out I can jump in and out of paintings like Kiera or that I create my own world on a daily basis within a work of art like Brenda? Even Worse my brother and I can bring those creations into our own world. The other families can't do that so I am one of the top freaks of the freaks. I'm technically not even human.
    "Hey you okay?"
   Luc is looking at me in concern. I realize I lost myself to my fears for a moment.
   "Oh... yes I'm fine. I was just thinking all this kinda makes my cake pale in comparison."
   "Hey, don't think like that. I just wanted to do something special for our first real date. The only thing I expect in return is your company. So getting your chocolate cake and your famous edible cookie dough is pretty mind blowing for a guy who thinks with his stomach half the time."
   I burst out laughing at his crazy antics.
  "Okay okay, I promise, I'll stop the inferiority complex and just enjoy the night."
    "That's all I ask."
    As usual I loved the movie, but I loved Luc's reactions to the movie even more. It might have given me a little hope when at the end he said he would love to go on an adventure like that. If only he knew. Maybe I could slowly break it to him over time. Like a small loop hole.
   "Luc where did the driver go?"
  "Oh he is in the guest house. Mason said he could chill there until we are ready to turn in."
   "Oh okay... do you mind, instead of watching the credits we just talk for a bit?"
    "Ah sure... talkings good."
     "Great!"
   So now how was I going to do this? Maybe I should work up a plan and try this tomorrow? No, if I'm going to do it, it has to be when I have the courage.
    "Luc I've enjoyed every second of this last week with you. I really don't want it to end. I like where this is going between us, but..."
   "Oh man, but, is never good. Listen Cori, maybe just give me a little more time?"
    "Huh?! No! I'm not breaking this off Luc. I like you! More than like you, I know I'm falling for you, but..."
    Lucas quietly took in my words. He seemed to realize it wasn't him that was the problem.
    "Koi no matter what it is I'm sure we can work through it. You don't have to be scared."
     His patience with me is astounding sometimes. I on the other hand feel like I'm about to jump out of my skin. So here it goes.
    "Okay! I'm just going to say what I can say. I need you to be quiet though so that I can get through this without getting us both into serious trouble. Deal?"
    "Um... Deal?"
    "Swear it Luc! You can't tell anyone, not even Mason. Noone can know I've told you even this much until I'm allowed to tell you everything. Okay! Swear it!"
    "Alright...alright! Cori seriously what's wrong?"
   Luc was starting to get agitated with my jumpy attitude. My flustered responses and sudden seriousness on the matter seemed to throw him for a loop.
   I went quiet for a moment just staring into his eyes. Without thinking I went for it. Before he thinks I'm crazy and dumps me here and now, I just needed one more mind blowing kiss.
    Luc was understably startled, but he quickly caught on to my mood shift. As his arms wrapped around me he took over the kiss. All thoughts about possibly losing him were blown out of my mind as his lips moved with mine. As I pulled away for air Lucas seemed to be lost in the moment. He pulled me closer. The blanket he draped over my shoulders during the movie for warmth slipped to the ground behind me.
    As I pulled in a lung full of air, his mouth traveled to my neck nipping and planting sweet little pecks against the sensitive skin. My head fell back with the feelings he brought out in me. I went almost limp in his arms. He responded by laying back with me against the pile of soft pillows behind us.
    With one of his arms still securely around my waist pulling my body to arch against his; he continued to nip and nibble where my neck met my shoulder. Shivers ran down my spine as he pulled away. Holding himself above me with his other arm, he looks down at me. His face was flushed as he pants, his breath tickling across my skin. As he leans back down, his eyes locked on my lips, I know we are about to get swept away again.
    If I'm going to say something it must be now. As his lips meet mine in a gentle brush, I do what I can to get the words out. Whispered against his lips just loud enough for him to hear it.
    "I have a secret Lucas."
    He pauses taking in my words. Then without skipping a beat he moves to the other side of my neck trailing kisses. Speaking softly to me.
    "What secret do you have Little Koi that I don't already know?"
    The deep almost growl in his voice causes more shivers to run through my body.
     "I... I'm not allowed to tell you."
   I force the words through a hiss as he gives me a sharp nip in response to the word "not".
     "Why would you not be able to tell your oldest friend and now lover all of your secrets Little Koi."
     "Oh dear sweet Creator! That's not the response I was expecting!"
     "Because if I tell you without approval we will both be punished."
    With those words his body seems to freeze. He looks up at me, and in his eyes I see the passion of the moment warring with the curiosity of the conversation subject.
    "Whose approval do you have to seek Little Koi?"
   I love it when he is like this. He is so wild and yet controlled. Like he is taking in every detail of the moment and determining how to conquer it.
    "My family... it's not just my secret but everyone's secret."
    His eyes seem to darken at that statement. He tilted his head watching me. The passion is still there but is quickly dampening as he realizes I'm completely serious.
    "I can't be with you if you don't know the secret, but they will take me away from you if I tell you the truth without consent."
   The cold lack of emotion in his voice chilled my heart.
    "That sounds like a pretty serious secret Cori. You're saying you, Mason, and even Aunt Liv and Uncle Doc are keeping something that big from me?"
     He catches on fast. His face has morphed from impassioned curiosity to determined anger and a bit hurt as he realizes the people he considers family have been hiding something so big you can be punished for telling even your most trusted friend.
   "How long have you guys been hiding things from me?"
   "Ummm... well we were born this way so..."
"The whole time?!"
   "Yes but you have to understand your family to us! We wanted to tell you, but the rules are clear. As the heads of the family mom and dad can't break those rules. They would lose everything!"
    "Then why are you telling me now! I don't want to be responsible for the people I care about being hurt!"
    Lucas threw himself off of me to sit up in exasperation.
    "Because you took the first steps to being allowed to know! You're courting me, Lucas! I can't tell you what the secret is until after a year of dating and a ring on my finger kind of scenario. Plus you have to pass the background checks."
     His entire body froze. He looked at me like I had handed him a snapping venomous viper, complete with a gift wrap bow around its neck.
    "Good Lord this must be an earth shattering epic secret! How could I not know? You guys have been lying to me since I've known you? How am I supposed to choke that down Cori! Everything was a lie?"
   His face crumpled as his hand started pulling at his hair. It's like his body couldn't decide between a bone deep pain or rage.
    "No, of course not, everything you already know is true! We just had to omit or cover up the secret part."
     Even to myself that sounded really lame. This was a bad idea. He is freaking out, and somehow he has already moved like two feet away from me without me noticing.
   Suddenly, I realized that to him, I wasn't handing him that snake. I am the snake. With one conversation I just turned everything he currently knew and relied on into a falsehood. I'm awful. I never should have pursued this relationship.
     "Oh, I knew you wouldn't take this well! I haven't even told you the secret yet, and you're already mad at me. Even worse, I'm wrecking everything for you. I won't be mad if you leave me. I promise."
   My voice came out on a whimper, but I couldn't stop my stupid rambling mouth.
    "I just couldn't stand the idea of being in such an intimate relationship with you without you at least knowing something was up. I mean how can I honestly tell you I love you with this hanging over our heads. Please don't tell anyone though. It really could ruin everything."
      I could feel the sobs start to bubble up as I started to choke a bit on my panic. I couldn't see his face through my tears anymore. I wanted to run. Needed to get away from him. My heart is breaking as I realize he can't accept me. I love Lucas, but I can never tell him. It just wouldn't be fair to him.
Without a thought I'm on my feet. I don't know where I'm running to or what I'll do when I get there, but the pain and angst I'm feeling right now feels like it will strangle the life from me if it catches me.
    I can't hear anything past the sound of my sobs. I've never been a cryer, but if there was ever a time to feel weak. I'm pretty sure having your figurative heart crushed would qualify. I can't breathe and I feel horribly sick. I see the top dome of the gazebo at the center of the garden. Crap if I am already this close to it I must have run full strength in panic. That's not like me at all. Well that's one way to show Luc how much of a freak I am.
    Everything is pitch black except for that white marble peeking out from behind the evergreens. I make my way towards it wobbling on unsteady legs. Collapsing against the cool marble floor sounds perfect right now. Anything to freeze this choking burn in my face and chest.
    I let out a strangle scream when I feel my arm caught, and I'm pulled to a stop. I'm just a few feet from the gazebo. My sobs break anew as I realize I will never reach it. I try feebly struggling free, not wanting to hurt him, but I'm pulled back into an embrace I know all too well. The arms that surround me are as strong as steel. Lucas is holding me to his body like a vice grip. I have no choice but to relent.
     "You will not run from me Little Koi, unless I ask you to."
      The growling voice above my head shocks me into stillness . I've never heard Lucas sound so feral. I don't want to see his face. I'm too scared to see his anger no matter how deserved it is. Yet, I can't help my reactions to him.
     The warmth of him and that woodsy scent that I've been breathing in for the last week, practically forces my body to calm down. The panic recedes almost completely. My sobs leveled out to little hiccups as I practically lay limp against his chest.
     I haven't cried this big since I was a small child. Slowly his voice filters in through my thoughts.
    "That's it, love, calm down. Take deep breaths. Everything will be okay. I'm here Koi. I'll never leave you. Hey, if I can wait this many years to tell you I love you, it isn't going to change just because I don't know everything about you."
  I can feel his hand twisting into the curls at the back of my head. His fingertips scratching gently against my scalp in an effort to calm me down.
   "Come on, we all have our secrets. Your's is just bigger than the average elephant in the room. We can get through this Love."
     Sweet Creator is he really saying what I think he is saying? He is willing to forgive me, and wait till I can tell him? Will he accept me? I have to know for sure.
     "So... so you're not mad?"
     I was shocked by the rumbling chuckle that shook through his chest.
     "Took me about two seconds after seeing you run to realize being mad about it doesn't help me keep you, so no. I'm not mad at you."
     "But... you are mad?"
     "Yeah I'm still mad, but I'm mad at your parents and Mason. I've decided I can't be mad at you because you at least gave me a heads up. All your dad said was hurry up and ask her out so we can let you in on the family business!.... Which makes so much more sense now since I've been racking my brain trying to figure out what exactly your family does since he said that."
     "Dad said that?"
   "Yeah, but I'm not counting that since it's so roundabout. Same for Mason! Now that I'm thinking about it, when we were picking out the movies he kept talking about how they were your favorite because you relate to how the guy always accepts the girl no matter her secrets. That's just way too vague for a machine head like me!"
    I couldn't help the strangled laugh. So Mason had been trying to warn him to.
   Lucas pulled away just enough to see my face.
   "You look like a raccoon Koi."
   He laughed as he tried to wipe my tears and ruined mascara from beneath my eyes.
   The moment quickly turned solemn again with his next words.
   "So let me get this straight."
   He walked away from me to begin pacing. The feeling of his arms letting me go sent cold shivers down my spine. I clenched my own arms around myself trying to hold it together.
   "You have a secret that is so earth shattering, so brain melting, and so dangerous that if you tell me for any reason before we are legitimately engaged your entire family will be punished, and I could possibly, most likely, lose you?"
    I had no words. He summed it all up in one sentence. So I just shook my head in the affirmative before looking away. I don't think I was prepared for the shame of realizing what a rotten liar I am.
     "I am also going to guess that it has something to do with the fact that I blinked and you were across the yard fleeing into the garden maze."
   I choked on my surprise as panic started curling in my stomach. I had had a passing thought that he might have seen me, but I thought I had more control than that. The idea that I had let my guard fall so far it was below sea level at this point, made me want to bolt all over again.
    He quirked an eyebrow at me reading the look on my face.
"Don't you even think about it Koi. Stay!"
   He pointed at my feet with a stern look on his face.
   "If you run I will catch you, but I don't feel like running full tilt in a three piece suit again alright?"
   His blasé attitude is sending my emotions into knots.
  He turned from me making a few more quiet rounds in his pacing as I waited for his verdict. When he finally spoke my whole body flinched. As I kept my head down looking at the grass at my feet, I awaited his judgment.
    "Okay then, thank you for being as truthful as you can at this point."
    He sounded disgruntled, but his words struck me. My head flew up to stare at him in disbelief.
    "What? Then you're not leaving me? You will, let me love you?"
    Lucas startled at my words, looking at me in astonishment.  Quickly striding back to me to pull me close again. He lifted my faceup by my chin. Staring into my eyes, he seemed to be looking for something. The intensity of his gaze made me uncomfortable. Like all my being was flowing out for him to examine. I quickly tried to duck behind my hair again out of habit; completely forgetting it was up and pulled back away from my face. Not in its usual style. He just chuckled at my shyness.
     "I have to give you permission, Koi? Really, for something I've been hoping for for half my life?"
     Mischief and astonishment colored his voice.
     I simply nodded my head, and sniffled. I know it sounds silly, but to me it only seems fair. He has no idea what he is getting into.
    I peeked up at him to see a smirk pulling at his lips. He rubbed his thumb across my cheek again to clean away the fresh tears.
    "Hmmm I'm glad I grabbed these."
    He reached into his pocket and pulled out the napkins for the butter popcorn. He dabbed at my face gently. At this point I'm sure my makeup is beyond ruined.
     "I not only give you permission Cori; I beg that you take full advantage. Now stop crying, come on Koi, you keep this up you are going to dry out."
     His smile caused a broken chuckle to break from my chest.
     "I must look like a mess."
   I can't help the small amount of shame in my voice since I know I'm an ugly crier. Mason always says I have more snot than tears when I cry. I can feel my face heat up in embarrassment.
     "You look a little disheveled. I won't lie to you; like I said before you look like a raccoon, but you will always be beautiful to me Koi."
    Sniffling a bit more I did my best to smile as his sweet words kinda pushed the water works button again. Another reason why I try not to cry. It's ridiculously hard to stop.
     "Shhh shhh shhh it's okay Koi. How about we just go back to our little picnic. We haven't cracked open the cookie dough. I've prepaid for the limo. I'm sure the driver should be gone by the time we make it back over there."
      I just nodded my head and cuddled closer into him.
We slowly made our way back to the ivy wall. The limo was long gone by the time we got back just as he said it would be.
I took of how far I had run through the maze of florals and evergreens. Now that I'm thinking about it, the ivy wall is about two acres back from the main garden. He chased me that far?
"Luc?"
"Yeah Koi?"
"I love you."
Without warning I was swept up into his arms twirling through the air. His exuberance caught me off guard as my feet left the ground. I screamed excitedly and quickly devolved into laughter. His laughter and cheering filled my ears, blending with my own. I was so dizzy by the time he lost his footing. Both of us collapsed into the pillows on the picnic blanket.
I found myself cuddled up in his arms on top of his chest. I just listened as his heart rate slowed under my ear. The smile seeming to be permanently fixed on my face.
Once our breath was under control we slowly sat up. Lucas pulled me close to his side; putting his head on my shoulder.
"Cori thank you, you have made me the happiest guy on the planet tonight."
He melted into chuckles again for a moment before saying.
"And apparently the most cliché, cheesiest guy as well."
Lifting his head he leaned in for a kiss. Picking up where we left off before I messed it all up. Lucas had just begun to get us more comfortable when I could have sworn I heard my name.
"Lucas did you hear.... that?"
"Nope... didn't hear... a thing."
I don't think Lucas would have heard an explosion with how intent he was, but I decided it didn't matter. Then I heard it again. My name loud and clear; getting closer to us every time it is called.
"Luc I think... that's Mason calling me."
"Not... possible;" he mumbled against the skin of my neck.
"I didn't... tell him where I was setting up."
"Oh, but I could have sworn..."
"CORI!!!! CORI!!!! Please God Creator! CORDELIAH!!!!
WHERE ARE YOU!!!!!"
"Oh gosh Lucas that is Mason! He sounds panicked!"
I tried to sit up, now completely focused on the frantic sound of my brother's voice.
"HEY MASON WE'RE OVER HERE!"
"Your brother better have a life or death reason as to why he is interrupting us! Again!"
Lucas said nothing more as he rolled off of me and sat up to await my brother's untimely approach.
"Well he doesn't usually run wildly through the garden shouting for us Luc. You know that. It must be important. Plus he is early."
Luc looked at me with Skepticism written across his face. He propped his elbow on his knee and plopped his chin into his hand.
"Knowing him, your chastity is pretty freakin important."
No way! I was not ready for that! Did Luc think we were ready? I've heard of the whole lose your V-card on Prom night tradition, but I don't think I could do that.
My thoughts must have been written on my face because Luc immediately reassured me.
"Relax Koi, shhh, no pressure remember. I'd never push you into anything you are not ready for. Plus, I know how your parents raised you, and I'm of the same mind. Let's say, I Do, first. Okay?"
By the end of his reassurance I was completely relaxed. I forgot about Mason making his way to us until he barreled through the floral path like his feet were on fire.
His tux was disheveled with his tie thrown over his shoulder. His hair was wild and full of leaves as if he didn't even bother to use the path, and just ran through the flower beds. Which is probably exactly what he did judging from the mud on his shoes and pants cuffs.
"Macy! What happened!"
"Never mind that! Lucas, we have to get Cori out of here! Take her to your house! Let's get packed now! We got to go!"
"Mason talk to me, what happened?"
"I can't give you full details right now Cori we'll talk when we get to the car!"
"What about you?"
"I have to uhhh..."
His eyes flicked over towards Luc.
"Dad asked me to take care of something for him. I'll grab my bag first. Then take care of that, and meet you at the car. Come on, we don't have time for this."
Mason was already dragging me up by my arm.
"Wait Mason, we are not doing this! You will tell me something now, or we are not moving from this spot."
"HARRACE CORI!"
Mason grabbed me up by my shoulders and shook me.
"Harrace is free... and he has Mom and Dad."