28 Heavenly Redo

Chapter 28
Heavenly Redo

I had Fiddle cut Luc off at the entrance to help him get ready in another part of the Library. I sent a note inviting him out. I didn't have to wait long before she came back with his written reply.
From Fiddle's elation I could tell long before I opened the note that he would go. She happily buzzed through the room to grab his bag before letting me know she would have dinner prepared on the Library terrace, and to meet Luc there.
It wasn't long after she left that Jolie showed up. I was so grateful. My hair was a complete mess of tangles. I enjoyed her tender care as she helped me get ready.
Though the dress I wore to the prom was beautiful, I certainly feel more comfortable like this. The silky soft red material of the dress was woven with great care by Chari. Ephy gathered the lotus stems for her, and Jolie designed and sewed it together. All of the girls put a lot of effort into this gown. I haven't found the perfect occasion to wear it yet.
Tonight feels perfectly right for it. I want to redo our first big date that got destroyed by Harrace's pesky little ink blots. Tonight will be the first date we deserved. No thoughts of war for now. I want to show him the beauty in my life.
I've given him so many reasons to run from the Nephilim world. Now I want to show him what I'm fighting for. I have to admit what I'm about to show him is a bit of a cheat. Everything in the Celestial's world was created to make you forget your troubles. It's quite the experience. I'll have to explain that to him before we go there.
Jolie really out did herself this time. My curls feel like fluffy feathers swishing against my back, and the gold ribbons she has weaved throughout them set off the copper in my hair. She didn't hold back on my makeup either. I might have gone for a more natural look, but I would have been wrong. The dark eyeshadow and liner makes my eyes pop, and I'm loving the soft nude color she chose for my lipstick. Apparently it doesn't smudge for twenty-fours.
Looking at myself in the mirror I feel pretty confident. It must be the whole lady in red syndrome. If it is, I am totally behind this cliché because even I think I look good. For the last touch Jolie brought me the most beautiful black silk ballet pumps that she laced high up to my thighs. The lace ribbons are so pretty! It must have taken Chari forever to embroider them.
" Don't cry Cori, you will ruin your makeup!"
"I'm sorry, I just know how much hard work must have gone into this. I can feel the care in each stitch Jolie. Please tell Chari I love them."
" I will, now it's time you go meet him. Have fun tonight dear."
I gave her a tight hug, and thanked her for her help. She just shooed me along. She really is the hardest Grace to thank. She acts as if all her kindness was just such a given. I don't think she realizes how her quiet steadfast care has gotten me through so many hard times. Me and everyone else in this world.
Before stepping out into the hall I grabbed a little bag from my duffle. I made Luc a little gift before we had sparred. I hadn't had a chance to give it to him after the awkwardness, and then Uncle Trevor showing up. Tonight at dinner should be the perfect time.
If I'm honest about it, I'm a little embarrassed to give him what we in the Nephilim world call a courting gift. The idea that I'll need to explain what it is so he doesn't take it lightly makes me a little apprehensive. On the other hand, I can't say the idea of him wearing it doesn't make me happy.
I was surprised I arrived first as the sun was beginning to set. Fiddle and the bumbles have done a marvelous job setting up the perfect romantic candle lit dinner. Someone went out for salmon. The large juicy fillets look delicious swimming in a creamy lobster sauce. Chari must have cooked. It's a table full of my favorites. The double fudge brownies look down right delectable.
I pinched off a little to taste, and moaned as the flavor melted across my tongue.
"Oh Chari you out did yourself. That's heaven."
" Actually I was the Chef tonight."
I jumped at Luc's abrupt appearance. I guess I was too absorbed in the chocolate to notice his arrival.
"You made all this?"
"Well most of it. Chari helped for time's sake. You didn't give me much notice Koi. Sorry I'm late. I forgot the wine"
He grinned at me as he walked over to set down two bottles of wine. One red and one white.
"But if that's how you respond to everything I cook. I'll be glad to provide you with such morsels at any time."
He winked at me, making me blush with his teasing. Turning towards me, he took my hand to guide me to a chair at the head of the table.
"You look amazing, Koi. I've said it once and I'll say it again. These dresses suit you."
At this point I don't think I couldn't blush any harder. I had this plan in the back of my head to get all dolled up, and sweep his legs out from under him for his teasing comment down at the hot springs. That has crashed and burned quite soundly. He has successfully pulled the rug out from under me, and all I did was sneak a taste of the man's brownie.
"You really do know how to treat a lady don't you."
He shrugged his shoulders and smiled. Picking up the white wine he made quick work of the cork seal.
"I have to admit if you were any other girl I would probably be lost. Knowing you won't hate me if I mess up takes some pressure off I guess. Also having my memory of all my Mom's lessons on how to be a gentleman back helps."
He handed me a glass then took a seat to my left and propped his leg up in the chair farther down the table.
" I can relax and enjoy myself with you without the feeling of judgment or unattainable expectations from you. I like the fact that before I loved you romantically I loved you as family and a friend. We respect each other. Most people our age have to build that respect first."
I took a moment in silence just taking in his words. Maybe I really do just over complicate things. Luc seemed to trust everything to me so effortlessly despite all the secrets revealing themselves in the middle of our budding romance.
I took a sip from my glass to steady myself before looking up at him.
"You know we are not twenty-one yet."
He smirked at me.
"There's those pretty blue eyes. I was wondering when I would see them."
I glared at him for a moment, but he just continued to smile. Breaking eye contact, I looked out over the garden.
" I figured we aren't under American laws at the moment. It being your world and all, My Lady. Besides, a good white wine brings out the flavor in seafood."
I looked back at him, and took a very deliberate draw from my glass. He smiled before setting down his glass to bless the food. His prayer was short and sweet, words we have all said before at one time or another. Opening my eyes, I immediately sampled the salmon.
"My Goodness Luc, this is amazing."
He chuckled at my reaction.
"Thank you for your enthusiasm."
"No! Really! This is delicious!"
Now it was his turn to blush even though he still smiled ear to ear. We fell into a comfortable silence. I took a moment to look him over. In my embarrassment before I didn't really have a chance to take in his appearance.
Now that I am, it takes everything in me not to drop my fork.
He is dressed head to toe in black. Something about the simple button up shirt and pants was just so suave. It wasn't the prim and proper tuxedo vibes from his prom apparel, but it is just as breathtaking. It seemed more like him. As if, if he had had his way before. This is the first date he would have set up. I could see it now. The only thing missing here was the movie screen.
He was relaxed, happy. His shirt wasn't buttoned up all the way, and his sleeves were rolled up. Probably from cooking the meal, but I'm not complaining. The less formal look sent butterflies through my stomach. I ate slowly just watching him for a bit. Finally, after the fifth time he looked my way, he apparently couldn't take my staring anymore.
"What?"
He chuckled nervously.
" I just like you this way."
I smiled at him. This is my Luc. The go with the flow, steadfast guy, that just makes you feel secure.
"Well I'm glad cause I have no intentions to change."
He took a big last bite of mashed potatoes before pushing his dinner plate aside, and pulling the brownie platter between us.
" Feel free to dig in."
He smirked as he took a bite.
" Let's see how good my brownies are. Must be pretty awesome if they can make your eyes roll back in your head like that."
I threw a dinner roll at him, making him laugh around a mouthful of brownie. I pouted and patted at my red hot checks.
"Are you going to tease me like that all the time?"
" Not always, but tonight yeah. Think of it as payback for messing with me this afternoon."
He cracked a mischievous smile.
"Great."
I snatched a brownie for myself, doing my best to ignore him for the moment.
"Awe come on Koi. Don't ignore me. I got you something. Well technically I made you something."
I did my best to hold out, but my curiosity got the best of me. Looking back to him, I eyed him suspiciously.
"What?"
"Ouch so defencive."
He chuckled.
Pulling out the little blue box I saw him swipe from his dresser the night we ran. He set it on the table before me.
"Open it."
Lifting the lid I found the most amazing ring I had ever seen.
"You made this?"
"Don't sound so surprised."
"No I mean, I've never seen you make jewelry before."
"About that, it seems to be tied up somehow with my Nephilim talents. I could work on cars till the cows come home, but this little beauty took me forever with all the headaches. Plus I had no idea if you would even go out with me once I asked. Still considering everything, it was worth it."
"Oh, your Motus abilities. They kept trying to activate while you crafted it? Wait, you started this before we got together?"
He scrubbed his hand over his neck and shrugged his shoulders.
"Well yeah. I had always intended to take a shot at asking you out. I had never tried to do anything like this though. I thought it was stress hurting my head from the challenge it gave me. Guess I know better now. Haven't really tried to activate it yet. Kinda wanted to do it with you."
The ring was a work of art. The polished metal curved around the finger without connecting. The body of the koi fish created the circlet with little waves cresting around its tail fin making it look as if it were jumping from the water. The detail to the scales made it look alive as the emerald jewel that is fixed in the top of its head glittered in the candle light.
" It's gorgeous, Luc. I love it."
He took my hand as his face turned serious.
"Mason told me that there is a way to activate this that will make it so the only person that can remove it would be me. He said that it signifies something very special for our kind."
By the end of his explanation he looked so nervous. So he understands what this means for us. The promise behind it. My heart wanted to hammer right out of my chest. In answer to his unspoken question I removed the little cloth bag from the folded pocket hidden in the draping of my gown. Placing it on the table I looked at him expectantly.
" For me?"
I nodded my head. Unable to say much else. He opened the bag to pull out the necklace from within. The charm was almost an exact match for his ring with some minor artistic differences. I chose to carve mine from the same onyx stone as my stylus. I let the natural coloring in the black stone give movement to it. Then embedded in its head was a white opal. My birthstone. It is no bigger than a silver dollar coin. It hung from a short black leather and silver chain weaved together.
Luc looked it over in awe. Just as I looked over his gift. Taking my hand in his again, he set the pendant down on the table. Then pulled me into a breathtaking kiss that tingles all the way down to my slippered feet. Pulling back, he held me close as he looked into my eyes.
"Does this mean you will promise with me?"
"I want nothing more than to promise with you now, Luc, but this kind of ceremony should be done with everyone we care about there. It's practically an engagement. Maybe even more serious really, since it's a blood bond."
"Yeah Mason said that you might not be ready, but hear me out."
He looked at me with such sincerity that I couldn't refuse.
"Alright I'm listening."
" I'm not asking you to promise to me tonight, but at the very least. I'd like to bond myself to you."
" But Luc, an incomplete bond, is not looked upon very kindly. Not to mention if for some reason the bond is never completed you would be left with a sense of being incomplete yourself. Can't you wait until we free my parents?"
" I want to do this now for that very reason Koi. I know you are going up against something bigger than both of us. Mason said this bond is like a beacon. We can feel each other through each other's life force. I want that connection with you Cori. You are already making me wait on the side lines. At the very least you can give me a small sense of your well-being."
At that moment the sky lit up with the Celestials dance flashing silent fireworks across the sky. A perfect backdrop for a promising. If this is truly what he wants I can't deny him.
"Alright Luc, but I will join you. If you have talked to my brother about this. It must mean you have his consent at least. Right?"
He laughed at my observation. Not the least bit guilty at being caught conspiring with my brother.
"It's true, he said it would make it harder for all opposed to separate us. Can't help it if I personally feel the same way."
Luc pulled out a sharp little knife to draw our blood. The lights from above reflecting off the blade ominously.
" You can still back out. I really don't mind bonding myself to you alone for a while."
" No, I made up my mind the moment I started carving that pendant. I won't change it just because it's happening sooner rather than later."
Luc cut a small slice in his hand then passed me the blade. I copied him as I cut into my palm quickly allowing the blood to pool in the center.
Picking up his necklace I placed it in the center of my hand. My life force swirled around it as I forced it to soak into the stone. I looked up to see how Luc was doing, but he didn't seem to need help in initiating the process.
"Last chance Love, it will be just as painful to break a bond like this as it was to unseal you. Not to mention the one who breaks it forces the other to lose all memory of ever being in love with them. Mostly as a kindness."
He touched my face with his free hand looking deep into my eyes.
"I would have to lose everything that makes me, me, for that to ever happen Cori. So I'm ready. No second guessing. I need this. Don't you?"
Tears were beginning to swim in my eyes from his sweet words. I won't doubt him ever again. He loves me.
"Yes, Luc. I need this."