23 Fiddle and The Library

Chapter 23
Fiddle and The Library

He fell silent. I suppose just taking in everything I told him. I decided not to break the silence so he could think. I smiled as my eyes closed of their own accord, and dozed lightly the last few minutes of the ride. Luc shook me awake once we arrived. Standing up with him, we stepped from the buggy in much the same manner as you would from a ski lift to the platform.
The buggies never really stop moving. They are constantly coming and going from the Library lazily traveling along the pulley system powered by the water wheel on the side of the Building.
"Fiddle! I called, waiting for my childhood imaginary friend to materialize. I never know from which direction she will buzz in."
"Who is Fiddle?"
I grunted sleepily at Luc.
"You will see. I'm too tired to explain right now."
I kissed his cheek to help stave off the pleading over flow of curiosity that inhabited his very being. That's when little Fiddle came flitting towards us.
"Dilly! What's happened! All your books from the main world came spilling in days ago with no explanation! I've spent hours categorizing them, but the bumbles haven't given me any word at all about what's going on. I was so worried!!"
The little house spirit still had a whipped cream mustache above her lip. Most likely from her evening hot cocoa and honey. Luc watched her bob about with astonishment. I can understand his reaction. This little creature is only found in fairy tales in the Cog world.
"Oh! It's a guest!"
Fiddle's black eyes flickered with excitement.
"It's a boy guest! Our very first GUEST!"
She squeaked.
"Oh Dilly you should have sent word. I'm in such a flurry around here with all the new additions. I must look like a complete bristle head!"
She shoved her tiny hands into the down yellow fluff that crowned her head like a halo.
"Don't fret Fiddle, you look adorably regal as always."
"Awe."
She did a little cheerful flip then circled back to me with pink blushing cheeks.
"Your compliments are always the nicest Dilly, but you look exhausted sweets. Your bedding is always ready as you know. Don't worry I can have the bumbles setup accommodations for your guest."
Now it is my turn to blush.
"Ummmm... Well, um, you see, ah, about that."
As is common, Fiddle got too excited to hear me out as she interrupted my stuttering in favor of the new person in the room.
"Oh I'm sorry."
She buzzed up to Luc circling him a few times so quickly she was a blur of black and yellow.
"We have not been formally introduced."
She came to a dead stop, buzzing and hovering in midair in front of his face.
"I am Fiddle de Dee the bumble Queen, best friend, and house spirit to Cordeliah, and you are?"
She held out her hand for introduction, and curtsied to him. She patiently waited for his response as Luc looked at me for help. I smiled knowing Fiddle was messing with him. However, I decided that for the moment I would play along. I mimed a gentleman's bow, and watched as Luc kissed the back of Fiddles hand then bowed like a knight before this tiny buzzing Queen.
"I, ah, I'm Lucas Motus, childhood friend and Boyfriend of Cordeliah. It's very nice to meet you."
Fiddle peeled with laughter as she fluttered about to hide behind me red faced.
"Wonderful Dilly, just marvelous. You choose your men well! What a gentleman."
"Fiddle that's enough."
"Oh Dilly, don't be such a stuffed shirt."
She swatted at my arm.
"Come along, let's get you both changed, and tucked in for the night. I can set up the lounge room for Mr. Lucas."
"That won't be necessary Miss Dee."
Luc put his arm around me pulling me close.
"I doubt I would sleep well without her anymore."
My face turned ten shades of red as Fiddle twirled through the air squealing about young love.
"Oh Dilly this is so wonderful! In that case I'll let you show him around! This is so exciting! I must let the bumbles know."
Fiddle zoomed off into the high walls, disappearing into one of the hexagon shaped openings that lead to the intricate passageways used only by her and the bumbles.
"Wait! Fiddle I don't want to make a big deal of this!"
Luc snickered at my panicked face.
"I don't think she heard you Dilly."
I glared at him.
"Call me that again, and I'll let the bumbles have you in the morning."
He quickly held his hands up in surrender.
"Alright I give, I'll be good, no reason for threats."
He was still chuckling though he tried his best to hide it. Finally, he just changed the subject when I continued to glare at him.
"So I take it the pretty queen bee on a sugar rush is one of your creations?"
He followed me as I made my way across the platform, and down into the front quartyard. The lanterns gave just enough light on the pathways for us to reach the doors without issue, but he would have to wait for morning if he wanted a grand tour of the gardens. Now that Fiddle had zoomed off the stillness of a house at rest filled the area.
I'm suddenly more conscious that I probably shouldn't have shouted for Fiddle as I did. Even if I know she is always up and about that doesn't mean the rest of the house is. So when I finally answer him it's in a whisper as I open the front door.
"Shhhh... yes, she has been with me for many years. We should be quiet after this point. I don't want to wake the others. The bumbles may not sleep much, but they do."
Luc smiled and nodded his head.
"Hmmm the others. I'm looking forward to meeting them. I'll be quiet."
I guided Luc through the lowly lit corridors to the suite I usually crash in. I'll show him around in the morning. Right now I just want to cuddle in and sleep. Luc shut the door behind us, and a sense of relief filled me. I dropped my stuff by my desk before turning to Luc.
"So you can go that way to get changed in the bathroom."
I point to the door to the right of the bookshelves full of my most recent sketchbooks, art supplies and canvases.
"When you are ready head through those curtains over there, and you will find the bedroom.
"Sure, I'll be right back."
He rushed off to get changed. Probably wanting to get out of his damp swim clothes as much as I did at this point. Before I could do that though I decided I should leave a note for Fiddle for the morning. I plan on sleeping in and having a big breakfast alone with Luc before having to introduce Him to the hive and everyone else. I slipped the note into the slot of the hexagon door just to the right of my desk then headed to my closet. I changed into a simple green thick cotton dress, comfortable enough for sleeping then headed toward the bedroom.
The warm night filtered in through the open pavilion style windows. The drapery that hung from the ceiling and swooped through the room gave it a natural bohemian look. With the garden's plant life allowed the freedom to encroach over the railings into the bedroom it blurred the lines of where one ended and the other began. The bed itself was more a huge king sized hammock that swung in the middle of the room facing the view.
I found Luc at the railing standing under a peach tree in full bloom that had grown around the banister making itself part of the room's structure. The candles around us gave me just enough light to see the wonder that had scarcely left his face sense we had entered my world.
"Cori?"
He didn't turn to look at me. His eyes glued to the ethereal view of the gardens and waterfalls below.
"Yes?"
He pulled me in front of him burying his face into my hair. I could feel his heart thundering against my back.
"I don't want to leave. How could I ever leave this place?"
"Oh Luc."
I reached my hand behind me to run my fingers through his hair.
"I'm serious Koi! I have never felt so at home then right this second here in this place with you. Everything else out there is just a confusing jumble of crap. It's all so messed up."
He pulled me closer, squeezing me strongly, but carefully against his chest. I let him hold me, giving him the time he needed to calm down. Then after a few minutes I turned to him. He looked so lost. I can't imagine how confused he must be. I kissed him softly before tucking my head under his chin.
"We will figure it all out, Love. First, we will get my parents back. Then they will defeat Harrace. Afterwards, we will take all this step by step. Whatever you want to do I will be there to help you face it one day at a time. Then every night we can come here. We can come home. I promise."
I felt his shoulders quiver and shake, and I knew My Luc was finally releasing all that pent up stress he had been hiding. He had just needed a safe place to let it go. He never made a sound, but that only made it more heart wrenching. Throughout our childhood I only remember Luc crying twice. The first was when his cat Marco died, and the second was when his dad died. Now he is crying again because his father figure is back, and nothing could ever be the same. We stood there until he seemed to lean more against me instead of holding me.
I led him over to the hammock. He could barely hold his eyes open. His exhaustion finally caught up to him. He passed out as soon as his head hit the pillows. My eyes feel just as heavy as I watch him sleep. Now that I have him here I can't help the anger and rage building up within me. Uncle Trevor has crossed so many lines in this situation, and he is so blinded by his good intentions for the sake of the mission he doesn't realize the damage he has caused. Crawling in beside Luc, I pulled the heavy blankets up around us just wanting to block the world out for a few hours.
As my eyes close I can't help thinking that he is right. This is our home, and I'm going to do everything in my power to make sure he could come here any time he wanted. Screw the anchor there had to be a way to make it fully accessible to him without damaging the pocket dimension. I'll talk to Mason about it when we get back.
The next day I slipped out of bed while Luc still slept. Fiddle had gotten my note thank goodness. A wonderful breakfast spread had been delivered; three different fruit juices to choose from, stacks of hot pancakes, assorted jams with biscuits and honey, strawberries and bananas, and a note from Fiddle saying to take our time, that they would wait for us in the quartyard for lunch. All of this has been set up beautifully across the table. It's perfect.
The only downer is the message from Mason that was sitting on a silver tray next to the pancakes. Mason may not be able to make his way here to get us himself, but I couldn't make it impossible for him to reach me here at all. So he has mail privileges as we call them.