Now on foot with satchels containing one or two pieces of cloth, dried meat and money slung over their shoulders, they looked like refugees exiled from their homeland.

"This is must be Rockland. We are ten miles away from the capital." Vicksen confirmed based on the intelligence offered by the villagers. They stated that it was the shortest route to the capital.

Lores looked around the sinister rocks that stood somewhat shaped like huge skeletons. He began to develop an ache in his belly that something sinister was imminent.

"This place is creepy." He hinted, still looking around in wonderment. His comrades joined him in scanning the eerie environment.

"I feel the same way too but it doesn't really matter. As long as it is the shortest way to the capital, it's worth trying." Vicksen said. Joanne just looked around without saying a word. Whatever her comrades were hinting at, she knew it was for the safety of the crew.

Before they could finish sweeping their eyes as if they were in the underworld, men began to emerge from the shadows. They artfully leapt from one rock to another, flaunting all sort of weapons that were at their disposal. Now, the travellers had a reasonable cause to look around.

"What the..." Lores uttered halfway as Joanne clung to him. Vicksen was too startled to even think about going for his sword. The former and the latter were caught up in confusion while Joanne was busied with fright.

A chubby man holding an axe ambled towards them. It conveyed a perceptible implication that he was their boss. Once he got close, he cocked his head and swaggeringly placed his axe on his shoulder. After inspecting the travellers, he spoke in a thick and audible tone.

"Hand over your satchels and we may consider sparing you." Realization struck Lores. Little wonder people barely used this route because it was lonely and sinister, he thought.

"Brothers, we have no money and we can't give you our satchels. Please kindly let us go." Vicksen mocked. It was as clear as crystal that the bandits wouldn't set them free if they didn't surrender their future necessities, but Vicksen was eager to throw in trouble at the underrated bandits.

"Seems like you want us to do it the hard way." The chubby fellow seemed eager to accept the challenge. Lores averted his eyes. The unkempt beard and hideous face of the fat fool wasn't something a human could look twice at.

"No, you want us to do it the hard way." Vicksen's simple smile was carrying a malicious intent. The chubby fellow edged closer to vicksen, displaying his hideous face in a full-blown challenge mode without an iota of shame. He was taken by sheer surprise at the ballsy attitude his supposed victims were exhibiting. In a situation like this, other victims would shudder with hunched shoulders while submitting their items without a second thought.

"If you have no money, then hand over the girl." The chubby man smirked amorously at Joanne. The girl flinched and clung tighter to Lores as a touch to his expression made him more horrifying. The latter stared daringly at the bandit; straight into his eye, disregarding his hideous looks.

"First, you asked for our satchels and now you're asking for a girl. What made you think we would hand her over to you when we initially refused to submit our satchels? If you want to fight, just come at us. There is no point in being foolish and brazen-faced when it is certain that you won't get anything in return." The bandit was marveled that the young boy was more venomous than Vicksen. He took four steps to the east, revealing his short wavy hair.

"Boy, who cares if you like her or not? It's either money or the girl." Still resolute with his aim. Lores unsheathed his sword in response.

"That sword of yours is thirsty for blood." Vicksen whispered, drawing out his own. For Vicksen, it was a tangible trial for Lores to show all he learnt from him.

The chubby man raised a hand and waved it to signal an attack.

"Kill them!" He blustered. With vigorous shouts, his lackeys charged at the travellers as axes, blades, stakes were dancing in the air.

However, Lores and Vicksen were too nimble for their rivals. One attempted to swing his axe at Lores who dodged and gyrated to their rear, caught them by their throat and easily slit open, blood streaming like a waterfall.

One was slashing their blade through the air and toward Lores. The latter parried skillfully and then kicked their abdomen to repel them.

Vicksen wasn't doing bad. He had his sword launched into someone's scalp, opening it as thick red fluid gushed forth like a burst pipe. He went at one, skillfully took their stake from them and stabbed them with it. Their face turned ghastly pale, body dropping like a bottle gourd.

Another rogue made to attack Joanne. Lores held her waist and swerved her from danger. A fatal jab in the attacker's torso was enough to send them away from mother earth.

Vicksen and Lores utilized the amateurish movements of their rivals to the optimal. They were finishing off their rivals when the few ones who still cherished their lives retreated behind the rocks and out of sight.

Soon, the killings were over. Lores stood motionless, his sword dyed with crimson, bodies littered about the earth. It was the first time he spilled blood, but he felt nothing.

"How does it feel to end someone's life?" Vicksen asked, sheathing his sword. He used to fight on the battlefield, so finishing some set of scoundrels wasn't a feat for him. He was concerned about Lores' accomplishment on experimenting his skills.

"Nothing in particular. I feel the same as every other time." Lores replied with sincerity. Joanne stood aghast, her lips trembling as she stared at the liquidated corpses draped in cold blood. Lores observed her, immediately scabbarded his sword and shielded her eyes with his hand.

"Joanne, do not look any longer. It's a terrible sight." He could feel her fright and discomfort, so he pulled her into an embrace, her head buried in his bosom. The current situation didn't warrant for someone to laugh but Vicksen laughed inwardly anyway, at least nobody heard him.

"Yes. Yes. It's not a good sight for a girl." Just as they were recovering from the fray, another group of bandits began to climb down the rocks, some where approaching on foot. This time, they were more than the first set. Obviously, there was a call for reinforcement to wipe out their victims.

For no specific reason, Lores began to feel annoyance creep up within him as he clenched his fist and gritted his teeth.

"Joanne, don't be scared. I'll protect you." He pulled her behind his back, unclenched his fist and raised it to the chest level. It was an unparalleled chance to experiment the repellent technique. His hands were spread open waiting for energy to show up.

 His hands were spread open waiting for energy to show up