CHAPTER 38: TOGETHER - LUKE

I still can't quite believe it. I've dedicated my entire career to finding and studying a way to beat death as a disease. I always thought that we, as a species, could master it and create a peaceful society in which everyone has a chance to live out all of their dreams with all the time in the world.

Now I'm being hunted by one immortal creature while watching another bleed in the deep blue of the aquarium and it makes me think I got it all wrong. Their intrinsic state seems to be like that of a true sickness, an ailment which nothing can cure. I shuffle, trying to spot Ness but my injured leg doesn't make it easy. I ignore the pain with mediocre success and continue scanning the choppy surface of the water. We have a wonderful, modern machine imitating actual waves and I curse it under my breath. I can't see her anywhere.

Below I spot movement. The feeding frenzy is driving the creatures wild a second time in one day. Sharks circle and little schools of fish scatter apart to not be in the way of giant, teeth-filed maws. I can't see the two humanoid monsters and I don't much care to.

There, on the far side of the tank, I spot something floating. Ness. Her wet hair is tangled around her head and she's face down. My heart drops.

Without a second thought, I dive head first and let the coolness pool around me as I let my dread propel me toward her. I'm not an athlete, but I will drive myself forward when it counts. No matter what happened between us, I love her and will always love Ness. Whatever creatures below me who loom to take us both, I would give my life for her. So I swim as fast as I can, pushing my body to the brink. I can feel it protesting. The salt sneaks its biting way into my wound and stings with unrelenting fervor.

Shadows of beasts outmatching both my skill and hunger close in from all sides. I've never had a fear of sharks, but seeing a dorsal fin breach and accompany me in perfect unison isn't exactly a sign of camaraderie. I am prey. My primary skillset of logic and determined studying doesn't exactly come in handy in this element. I am food and nothing more. The largest of the looming shadows bows below again and bends, most certainly to circle in for an attack. But I will ignore that entirely. I reach Ness and turn her limp body over. Her jaw hangs slack and her eyes are closed. Her skin has fallen ashen and is almost grey around the two puncture wounds on her neck. But she is still warm. I don't have time to examine her properly. We need to get out of the water. Out of our beloved, usually relaxing aquarium.

Luckily, the feeding bridge stretches across the entirety of the tank and isn't too far away. I scoop Ness under one arm and push through the artificial waves with all of my remaining strength. I ignore any and all monsters beneath us and breathlessly manage to hoist Ness' lifeless body onto the scaffolding with the last ounce of strength in my body. I struggle to sit myself up on the gangway and drag her upper body out of the water, then I lift her legs out. We've made it. Without hesitation, I check to see if she's breathing. I lower my ear to her mouth. I can't tell. The sloshing water and my own exhaustion have dulled my senses. I softly pat Ness' cheek but now is not the time to be gentle, I realize, and start pumping her chest with well-practiced CPR movements. Fingers interlaced and shoulders squared, I push what feels like too hard, down on her sternum. Steady and not letting up. I count out loud to set a rhythm. Then I open her mouth, head tilted back, and breathe air into her lungs. I repeat the process with sheer determination. Fear spreads through me but I don't let up. No. She can't be gone. I push again, harder. I've heard about people breaking ribs during this process, but actually doing it feels so dehumanizing. I shudder.

I breathe into her mouth again, the act is intimate and very foreign all at the same time.

"C'mon. We have a fight to finish." I order her and she must agree because her eyes fly open, she twists to the side and coughs out an impressive amount of saltwater. The utter relief floors me and I slump down on my ass, taking in a few deep breaths.