CHAPTER 5: FRIENDS WITH DEATH

It was a bit of an unfair move, setting her up like that. My way of flirting might be a tad bit...unusual, but it's damn effective. I stand in the alley hiding in the shadows as she tries to explain our little soiree to the EMT's and the firefighters. No, Vanessa, Ness for short, there indeed is nobody. No, you didn't imagine it. And yes, every word I told you was the crazy truth.

I watch the rescue team leave her in the rainy night. She looks around again. Into the alley, I occupy. I smile at her openly, knowing her human eyes can't make me out. But she must feel me. Her scent changes. Flickering little candlelight. She'll be my nightingale. A hunt of a different kind. I want her. I want her to invite me into her life, to have a choice, and chose me. Maybe I'll postpone my little date with Death; he doesn't seem too eager to show up on time anyway. Maybe I'll have one last adventure with life. See it through her eyes. Ask her what her heart feels like when like now, it skips a beat. Excitement. I bite my lip in anticipation. This, dear reader, is going to be fun. I cordially invite you to witness the Death of a Nightingale. 

Most sincerely, The Hawk