CHAPTER 13: THE NIGHT IT ALL CHANGED - LUKE

When the elevator goes back up three pairs of eyes follow it with utter confusion and worry. Mine and the two penguin chicks. I look at the little fluffy fellows and shoo them out of the way. They don't have any business down here to begin with. But they like my jellyfish as much as I do. Well, with different intentions, I guess. The little flightless birds look at my aliens like lunch in a fancy restaurant. And at me like a useless chef.

When Ness leaves, I sigh. Sometimes we have moments of friction. I try to not dwell on them. It's normal. What kind of couple would we be if we never fought, right? But lately, they are becoming more frequent. Since I bought the ring. The thought makes me smile. It sends a small pang of nervousness into the pit of my stomach too. I actually bought a ring.

I thought about it so long and with such care. I knew she wouldn't want a diamond. Not Ness.

She would want something with history, something old and different. Two weekends ago I went down to Savannah with my brother and visited every antique store in town. There's something haunting about that city. The rustling Spanish moss, the squares, and carriages. The old buildings and stories behind every stone.

And the ring I ended up finding! The store was an old, Victorian villa. Not in pristine condition, but cared for. Three stories full of furniture, books, the smell of the revolution, and Southern charm filled our day. It was fascinating. The owner told us tale after tale of his favorites and we ate it up. My brother is an art dealer, so this was like catnip for him. The owner brought out this old jewelry box, velvet of course, and opened it. Several rings are in need of some professional cleaning. But I saw it right away. The deep, almost black ruby. The owner frowned.

"Probably not that one." He told me, which sparked my interest.

"It's pretty and all, but it was found in the Bonaventure Cemetery by the Freemason graves. Just popped up through the earth."

Just because of that I was going to buy it. My brother's eyes widened too. This was it.

"You know about them Freemasons, right son?"

Yes, I did. The old oath-bound, secret society. I heard that a lot of the graves had the symbols on the tombstones here in the South. Deeply-rooted together with pirates and all the stuff making my nerd's heart sing.

"I'll take it."

"But not as an engagement ring, surely? Look, here is a very lovely emerald." Too late.

My brother grinned from ear to ear. "Oh, she'll love this. Did you have it appraised?"

The store owner nodded, concerned and full of superstition.

"It's from 1765, older than this country. The ruby is in its original setting. I'll sell it to you for -"

"I don't care, I'll take it." I blurted out, going against any bargaining technique ever invented.

We spent the afternoon getting drunk on the river. Oysters and beer and grinning like fiends. I bought a ring!

When I came back, something had changed. I looked at her with tenderness as though she was already my wife and could see it right away. Fear.

I don't know what she is so afraid of. We've been together for a while. We're family. I even asked her dad for permission. I knew he wasn't going to be around much longer and I just wanted to be able to give her that. That small piece of tradition. He was a lovely man. Kind and exceptionally wise. I wonder if Ness would be less afraid if he was still around.

So I sigh and go through my day wondering. The door flies open and Phil, the head trainer bursts in, anxious and out of breath.

"You ok?"