CHAPTER 15: AN ADVENTURE - NESS

I'm still a little shaken when I arrive for work that night. I really should have called Luke and apologized for being, what did he call it? Scratchy.

I make a mental note of it. But I know that he's a very forgiving human being and probably just went straight back to work on his little aliens. It's such a different world in his lab.

I stash the bike, not even bothering with either of the wall mounts, and head upstairs. Somehow, I'm burning up. Why is it so warm in the office?

I de-layer my onion-like appearance down to my thin, but very soft long sleeve shirt. Matt already stares at me as though I've lost my mind. It's a strong possibility.

He heads my way and hugs me. That's very unexpected. He squeezes me and I pat his back. Why does he hug me? Is he dying? He's not really a hugging kinda guy.

He starts with: "I got a strange call today."

My heart sinks into the bottom of my feet.

"She's still alive?" I ask before I think.

His confusion is palpable. All over his face.

"What? Who? I got a call from the police asking how you were doing. You called 911 last night?"

I sigh. She didn't call in again. Of course, she didn't. It's daytime. Was she real at all? Did I make her up? I sigh in frustration.

A RING chimes through the quiet. Is that her?

"I'll get it." I declare loudly and jump across the office to press the button on the caller system.

Another RING.

It must be her. She's toying with me. Like a cat.

"Suicide Prevention Hotline, Ness speaking. Hello?"

The screen flickers to life and Emma comes into view. Her big eyes stare at me in surprise.

I can barely hide my disappointment.

"Hey, it's me." She says. Of course, it's her. I check my watch. Yep, her normal window. I step to the side. I can't do this right now. It wouldn't help anyone.

"Is something wrong?" She asks, worry clouding her face.

"You'll be speaking with Thomas today. I have to step out for a moment." I push the flustered new hire into the seat. Emma wipes her face. Distraught. Clinging to every word.

"But I really need to talk to YOU. I don't know Thomas."

Thomas, the traitor, nods along with her and tells me: "I think it's much better if you took this - "

But I'm already walking. I can't breathe right. It feels like I'm not actually catching air.

In the hallway, Matt catches up with me. Now more worried than ever.

"That was really insensitive. What's going on with you?"

Half of me just wants to tell him about all the weird pieces.

Instead, I ask: "Do you have a cigarette?"

"You don't smoke." I've never heard him sound so flat. Almost rude. He would make a great big brother. He fishes out his pack and a lighter and hands them to me.

"I need some air. I'll be right back."

I hurtle down the stairs and step outside. One big, fresh breath of air. That feels so good. I don't even mind the rain soaking my thin shirt. I didn't bother with the sweater or the jacket or anything else. Just air. Air is good.

I step around the corner. The alley is darker, but so close to the street that I would never think twice about it. From here you can hear the whispers of the crowds from the Fox Theatre.

I take another few deep breaths and start feeling like myself again. Let's do this. I cinch the cigarette between my lips and roll the lighter wheel. I hate smoking. The smell, the action itself, only that first crackle of fire is nice. But I don't get that. I flip the thing again, but my hands and fingers have become stiff from the cold.

"Fuck!" I exclaim out loud. I can't even be frustrated right.

But then I feel it. It's as real as the frigid rain. Behind me. A cold huff of air. Like a long, soft exhale. The hairs on my neck stand up. Fear, genuine and undiluted pulses through my stomach. I know what this is. What have I been inviting into my life?

And then I hear footsteps. Wet shoes on pavement. Closer. Closer yet. Then they halt.

I gulp and realize how loud that sound can be. So very, very loud. With a lover's softness, Grace takes in my scent. Closer. From my shoulder up to the ear without touching me. But if I swayed just ever so slightly, my skin would feel her. I shiver. It's from the cold, I assure myself.

"Hello, Vanessa, Ness for short."