CHAPTER 32: REVELATIONS - NESS

I can't believe how well that worked. The aquarium is such a fortress. I feel very accomplished remembering the little details about the cameras and the secret smokers.

The tunnels are dark and only lit via LED strips at ankle height. It gives the whole place an ominous glow. Above me, the whale sharks sleep. Or whatever it is that they do at night. I'm not a hundred percent certain they sleep. They probably calmly float about regardless of their waking or non-waking state. Adrenaline pumps through me with steady fervor. I just broke into a place. A place I know well, but still. I, the girl who used to strive for perfection and adored rules, even wrote them for others to follow, broke into a place and committed a serious crime.

I huff a laugh at myself and round the corner to the elevator. The doors are wide open, but it's out of service. So strange. A flash of memory creeps through my mind. Spindly long fingers held the door open for me with strange, cold elegance. The THING that Grace is following was here. I'm sure of it now. I wasn't seeing things or making things up. He was real. Very, very real.

I turn to take the stairs and glance into the main hallway with trepidation. No one has come looking for me. Likely, George is alone on his shift searching YouTube for the cutest cat video. Bless his heart.

The thought makes me feel safe enough to untie the knot of the hood I fastened tightly under my chin. I meant a little too well, and its restricting grip gives my face very little freedom. I shake my hair out as I lower the restrictive fabric and take a deep breath. The curls spring free and I take the metal stairs down.

The lab glows up for me. I know Luke never wanted cameras in here unless there was an emergency with the aquarium, so I feel safe. I managed to break in and reach my destination. The tanks are all lit from below and the creatures in them remind me of the slow-moving lava lamps everyone had in the early 2000s. I smile at the thought and wonder if the immortal jellyfish in front of me would be offended by the comparison.

Socrates bulbs up as if in greeting. Charmingly strange. He sparkles up with electricity and I wonder whether it is in recognition, to fight, or to devour me whole. With Luke's sea-creatures it doesn't just have to be one of the three. I place my hand on the glass and watch his immortal grace float about.

"Hey buddy, so how do you do it? What's your secret?" I must have officially lost my remaining marbles. I'm speaking to a jellyfish. I just really hope he doesn't actually answer, otherwise I will know for certain that I have indeed lost it.

But Socrates just gives me a little show and twirls his gangly body through the small currents in the tank. I watch him play with the air bubbles from the filter. He's almost cute. Deadly, immortal, and adorable. One of his tentacles reaches out for my hand. Aww, he shares my sentiment. He sparks up brighter.

A small jolt of pain shoots through my hand and I withdraw in surprise. His electricity burned me through the glass once again. For a split second, I ponder the possibility of it being imagined, but the sting in my hand is very real. My eyebrows bunch together and I stare at my immortal frenemy.

"Well, you too then." I tell him and move away from his tank. Maybe he's not as cute as I first thought.

I walk past and stare at the wall boards. Next to them are tubes and jars that fill the various desks. Contemplating. I squint and try to figure out what part of the gibberish in front of me can tell me about eternal life. Why does it have to be chemical formulas and math? I sigh. This is not what I was hoping for.

The shelf containing the specimen samples might be more helpful. I start reading the labels.

'Soc_12/09/22_batch5_urine'

I almost drop it reading the last word. I'm holding jellyfish pee. I shake my head at myself. Maybe the secret is really in the -

No, no it isn't. I refuse to believe that's what will give me the chance to be with Grace forever. I will not attempt to drink this.

The next vial gives me pause.

'Soc_11/26/22_batch5_blood_promising***'

It has three stars. On Yelp that could get you quite far if you know how to play your cards right. Do I risk it? The key has to be somewhere in the blood. It just makes sense. Right?

I unscrew the top and stare at the light blue fluid. It smells absolutely horrid. My nose crinkles and I frown. This little beast does not smell good in any shape or form. I steady myself. Let's just do it. I pinch my nose shut and raise the vile to my lips.

One more exhale and here we go. Bottoms up. I gulp and gag. This is hard to keep down. I wave my hand in front of my mouth like I'm putting out a fire when I hear a crash somewhere above me. I look around and find none other than Luke staring back at me through the glass door. Fuck.