10

Brooklyn

Jack opens the door of his car for me and I smile and get in. I've known the Jacks for a while so I know this night won't be filled with boring pointless chatter, it's going to be fun.

"Okay so where are we going?" I ask Jack, not really expecting a straight answer.

"Well, I'm taking you to an outdoor concert, but I won't tell you who." Jack says and wiggles his eyebrows while staying focused on the rode.

I smile widely and start getting excited. Knowing Jack it'll probably be SoMo or some rapper, but hey I'm not complaining SoMo is a legend.

After a 30 minute drive Jack parks the car on a grassy field and we get out of the car. Jack wraps his arms around my waist and gently lays his head on top of my head as we walk. I giggle at his gesture and lace his hands with my hands.

Instead of going towards the line of people handing tickets, Jack heads towards another entrance where two large men are standing. "Hey Brody." Jack says and fist bumps one of the large men. The guy opens the door and Jack drags me through a hallway.

I see a few signs telling me it's not SoMo, its Rae Sremmurd and I almost piss myself. But I'm confused why we are going through this hallway. "Jack where are we going?" I ask him and he looks back at me smiling.

We enter a room and standing right in front of me is fucking Swae Lee and Slim Jimmy. "No fucking way." I say to Jack who is bro hugging these two legends.

"Aye baby, ever done LSD?" Swae asks me. I shake my head nervously and he laughs, giving me a fourth of a tab, I watching Jack, Swae and Jimmy all put a full tab on their tongue, and nervously I do the same.

After around 30 minutes of hanging out with Rae Sremmurd my brain is spinning. I'm hallucinating, the walls are moving and I'm going crazy.

"Aight Jack, we bouta go hit dat flex zone out there so take dat pretty thang and go stand front row." The guy says and Jack nods. I look at Jack and just laugh. He looks so funny, his eyes are so large and he kind of looks like a emu.

He takes my hand and says, "Brooklyn, you look like an ostrich." We both break into laughter and honestly the room won't stop spinning and convulsing. We walk to front row and try to stand still, it's a big mosh pit and Jack wraps his arms around my waist, I'm facing him and I look up into his large eyes.

I don't say anything as I just look at him, the flashing lights from the concert reflecting in his eyes and I'm mesmerized. For some reason my mind drifts to Calculus. I start thinking about everything that I had learned in Calculus and I laughed. I just laughed and laughed because it's stupid. It's crazy that I spent three years focusing so hard on school and getting good grades when I missed things like this.

This drug makes me feel electrified. I feel like I'm at the top of a mountain, staring off the edge and looking my most certain death in the face as I jump. I feel like I'm falling, the wind blowing my hair backwards and me arching my back before my skin connects with icy water.

Somehow, after thinking about the icy blue water and how weird waves are, I find my mind drift to Hayes. His ocean blue eyes that are crisp and mesmerizing, his little gestures he makes while talking, and also, the way he introduced me to a completely new life.

My mind is brought back to what's happening, despite all the people moving around us and the music blaring around us, Jack and I have been in the same position, my hands on the back of his neck and his on the small of my back as we stare at each other smiling. I feel some sort of confidence surge through me as I take notice of his large hands lightly gripping me, and I pull his head down towards my mouth. He understands what's happening and he brings his mouth onto mine.

More confidence rushes through me when his lush, rough lips hit mine, the beat of the music running from my feet to the ends of each individual hair.

After what felt like forever, Jack and I pull away from the kiss, we look up around us and notice people were leaving, Rae Sremmurd was finishing up their last song, we must have been kissing for at least an hour.

I was feeling sober, but I could tell Jack definitely wasn't, I grabbed the car keys out of his pocket and lead him towards the car.

I get into the drivers seat and start the ignition, looking at Jack who has a scared expression on his face, his eyes are open wide and his mouth is hanging open as he stares at trees that were passing by the car. I laugh and shake my head at him.

After a little over an hour we arrive at the house, I notice the time, 1:38am, and I feel my stomach growl. I basically have to drag Jack inside as he stops and mumbles about how the flowers "look so totally triply man." and I wonder if the electricity that I felt in that kiss shocked me awake from my LSD trip.

After a while of standing in the kitchen with my hands on the counter thinking about how I'm sober, I realize I really don't want to be sober. I want to get high or drunk and make mistakes with somebody, and considering I can hear Jack's quiet snores from the living room, he will not be the person I can do that with.

"Why did you get home so late?" A voice says from behind me, making me jump.

I turn to see Hayes, and I try to hide the smile threatening to appear on my mouth. "We went to a Rae Sremmurd concert. I tried LSD." I tell him. His eyes go wide in shock and then he chuckles a low chuckle, a sound that vibrates my entire body with warmth.

"I was wondering why your eyes are open so wide." Hayes whispers and I smile at him, "so are you going to bed?" He asks me while looking at the ground.

"Well actually, do you have any weed or alcohol?" I ask cautiously and he looks up while smirking. He pulls a small baggy out of his pocket along with a vape.

"I'm glad I don't have to do this alone." He says and I motion for him to follow me outside.

We walk out into my large backyard, past the pool and towards the wooded area and lake that sit nearly behind my giant house. We sit on the dock that has our boat hooked onto it and Hayes loads the vape pen with the weed. He brings it up to his mouth and pushes a button, sucks in and then holds it, he exhales, coughs a little and hands me the vape.

I mimic his actions, since this was the first time I have ever tried weed I cough a lot more than Hayes did.

He laughs and I cherish the sound. Being here with Hayes is a lot different than being with Jack, though I curse myself for comparing the two experiences, I continue. Being with Jack was effortless, something like school for me, I didn't have to try and hide things from Jack, I have known him for so long that it doesn't matter what he knows or doesn't know. I hate the feeling of familiarity that I have come so accustomed to. I want adventure, I want long nights with everything silent except for laughter and the sounds of my mistakes.

Hayes, Hayes is like getting lost on a car ride. You have a destination, you know where you need to get to, but you unexpectedly find yourself somewhere else. The thing about Hayes is that he isn't like the frustrated lost or the scared lost or the adventurous lost, he all of them. Every time I'm near him my body has this eternal hum that doesn't seem to stop, like an engine inside of me is running and I can't find the ignition to take the key out of. It buzzes through me right now, even as the weed takes effect and morphs my mind into something that it's not, as I look at him from the corner of my eyes, I can feel my heart beat pick up at just the sight of his lips parting to blow out smoke.

I decide, right here, while Hayes and I lay back and start looking at the stars while vaping weed and being high, that I, Brooklyn Indigo Dayes, who has been unpopular, invisible and unwanted since 4th grade, focusing only on school and my future, have a crush on Benjamin Hayes Grier, the guy who's slowly teaching me to live in the now.

And I know for a fact that this one little decision, in this stupid insignificant moment in my life, is going to change me, forever.

"I'm such a bad influence on you." Hayes whispers before we both erupt into a fit of laughter, his laugh making me intoxicated on happiness.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Ooo a little Brack and Haylyn action for this chapter. Lmao I'm bad at ship names.

Who do you ship?

Xoxo @totallytesss