Chapter 42: It's Too Late

Start from the beginning

"What about the arson and bombing? Was it started because of that too?"

"... We're also being stacked by debts. That was when we decided to do those things. As they were focused on the commotion we made, we stole money. After clearing our debts, we changed our focus to obtaining Li'l Kyou's ability."

"Now that you failed, what's your plan?" Ms. Janis asked pretty straight questions. I wouldn't wish to fight her in the future.

"Nothing..."

"What about your wife?"

"She's..." Before he could continue his words, the creaking door caught our attention. "... Karen?!"

A gray-haired woman entered the interrogation room. Carl Rinsel froze. He didn't expect a visitor like her... A mother to Kana and Carsel Rinsel... and his wife.

"All this time, you've been doing those things for me... and our family..." She knelt and lowered her head to Carl Rinsel. "I'm sorry, Carl... I'm very sorry..."

"D-don't lower your head!"

Raising her head, tears fell to the floor.
"But... you're here because of me, right..? I've already been awakened to reality. Our son... won't come back, right?"

"I..."

"Please don't do these things anymore..."

He bit his lower lip, containing the tear on his eyelids. "I... I apologize..!"

His wife had returned to normal... but for all the crimes that they have done, it was too late... Even he, himself, realized that.

When the time for him to return to his cell came, I stepped in to ask Carl Rinsel about one final thing.
"Why did you... surrender yourself?"

"Huh?"

"I-It may not look like it but the way you called Kyou and brought him to your house instead of continuing to trick him, it was like you're prepared to get caught..."

He had an option to ask Kyou for the favor of removing his wife's memories even without introducing himself as Carl Rinsel... but he didn't do it.

"Oh, I just... feel like doing so."

He continued to walk as if he had also accepted his fate.

"You can control your ability, Li'l Kyou. Your dad was able to even without my help," he said without turning his head to us.

As I thought... All the places that they bombed and set on fire were empty. No injured people were reported, and no deaths either. They still have a heart of a human to feel guilt.

Carsel Rinsel once told us, "Kana and my dad won't come fo' me. I made a reckless decision of bombin' a mall with tons of people."

They didn't intend to harm anyone. Still, the way they destroyed the Zeyern Family's life, it's not a thing that only an apology could solve. For Kyou, it must be unforgivable...

"Ah, about your dad... I think you should go back to your mother..." A deep serious voice...

We head straight to the hospital after he left. Knocking the door of Kyou's mother's room, she replied, "please come in."

"Good evening, Mrs. Zeyern..." I greeted as soon as we stepped in.

"Good evening... May I ask who are you..?"

"A-ah, I'm Myle Arjera and..." I glanced at Kyou.

"I'm Kyou Zeyern..."

Upon hearing his name, Mrs. Zeyern's eyes widened.

"Are you... a relative of mine?"

Kyou closed his eyes and took a deep breath. "I'm..."

"Ah! A relative of Zack..?"

"... your son."

"My son..? I couldn't get in touch with him for a reason but... are you Zou's friend? What about Ayuri? Do you also know my daughter?"

She still couldn't remember... We were hoping that just like us, her memories would come back. Still, it's not that easy...

I'm worried... Kyou's expression has darkened... I held his hand and he glanced at me.

"Mrs. Zeyern," I spoke but Kyou shook his head. I smiled. "Do you remember the surname Arjera?"

"Hm... Arjera... OH! Zack's best friend?!"

"Yes, Kyle Arjera, he's my dad."

She sighed with relief. "I finally met his daughter. I and Zack have always been pairing you with-- with..?"

It's on the tip of her tongue!

"T-that's strange... We've been pairing you with our son but... it's not Zou, right?"

"I'm certain that it's not Zou. Do you perhaps remember why Mr. Zack Zeyern introduced your family to my dad?"

"Because... he wants him to remember our family and..."

It's because he wants someone to remember their family, especially Kyou. This might trigger her memories to come back.

"I feel strange... It's like I'm forgetting something very important."

"It's not something but someone..!" Kyou yelled. "I-I apologize for shouting."

"It's fine, it's fine. But, someone..? Come to think of it, you're name's very familiar, Little Kyou... Are we perhaps pairing you with Little Arjera here?"

"Y-yes!"

"Oh! My memory's kind of blurry so I don't know anymore..."

"No need to push yourself, Mo-- I mean, Mrs. Zeyern. We'll take our leave first."

"A-ah. Take care, both of you."

"We will. Thanks!" Kyou replied. He seemed cheerful now. I'm glad...

"Thank you so much, Mrs. Zeyern."

"No problem! ... Ah, if you have time, you can visit his grave."

"... Grave?"

"Zack's."

Kyou froze. "What... about him..?"

"My husband... he died last year."