18. Mama and Mamacita

Start from the beginning

"Greyson learned to skate in Canada. We used to go every Christmas break, it's where he fell in love with hockey."

I smiled, I could listen to her talk about Greyson all day.

"He tried to get Gracie to play but she wouldn't, she'd skate but she wouldn't play, other than the occasional 1 on 1 game around his birthday." She says as I chuckle.

"I played when I was younger, but I quit in high school, I was too busy. My sister Ellie and I still play with Chris whenever we're back home, but that's about it, and it doesn't happen much anymore." I say as our waitress brings our food.

"I gotta say, there's something about being outside at night in the summertime."

"We'll have to go for a walk on the beach when we get back then." I suggest as she smiles warmly at me.

"I'd love that. I guess we'll let Greyson join us for that. He might kick me out if I keep you from him for too long." She says as I chuckle, taking a bite out of my sandwich. "How are things going between you too?"

"Good!"

"Are you happy?" She asks with a sincere look in her eye.

"Very." I say as she grins.

"Well good because I've never seem him look at anyone the way he looks at you, and I sure as hell have never heard him tell any girl he loves her, other than Gracie, the kids, and I." She says as I can't help but stop the grin spreading on my face.

"He's always..." She cuts herself off, thinking before starting again. "He's always had this.. almost this piece of him, missing, and I never knew exactly what it was, but seeing his face just when you walk in the room, I've figured it out. He didn't have you, you've completed him." She says, her eyes almost tearing up.

"You have no idea how happy I am hearing you say that." I say as she reaches across the table and squeezes my hand.

"Just.. don't hurt him, I don't think he could handle that kind of pain." She says as, her face almost dropping into a frown.

I squeeze her hand back, "Don't worry... I couldn't handle it either." I say, giving her a serious look.

✳︎

We walk in the front door to hear yelling coming from the living room. We walk in to see Chris and Greyson both kneeling on the floor... arm wrestling.

"How old are you guys?" I ask as they both jump a little, looking at us.

"Umm.. What are you talking about, we weren't doing anything." Chris says, awkwardly chuckling.

"So we didn't just walk in on you two arm wrestling?" Anne says, raising a skeptical brow.

"No.." Greyson says, looking down.

"Way to play it cool." Chris scoffs, rolling his eyes.

"Oh yeah, like you did any better." Greyson snaps back as Chris stands up.

"Anyways, children. We're going for a walk, if you guys want to come."

"If they want to come? No, they're coming." Anne snorts, "We'll come back and they'd be shooting nerf guns or something if we left them here." She says chuckling.

"Probably." I shrug, walking out of the living room towards the back door.

I feel a hand wrap around my waist, knowing exactly who it is, before Grey's lips come to my forehead, leaving just as quickly as they got there. He moves his hand to open the sliding door as we walk around the pool.