18. Mama and Mamacita

Começar do início

Chris: you could at least ask nicely

Me: where's the fun in that

Chris: I'll be there in 5

Me: thank god

I lock my phone before standing up and walking into the kitchen.

"You're a lot like Gracie." Anne says, reaching over the middle console and squeezing my arm.

"I'm taking that as a compliment." I say, softly smiling as I signal that I'm turning left. "You hungry?"

"Starving." She says as I chuckle.

I drive to a little cafe that's not too far away from the house, "This place has the best cookies, I swear on it." I say, finding an empty parking spot

"I'll hold you to it." She says as we get out of the car, her long brown hair swaying with every movement.

"They look just like you." I softly smile as she links her arm through mine, making our way to the doors.

"They didn't get their good looks from their father, that's for sure." She says as I chuckle.

"Apparently they have your attitude too."

"You have no idea." She says as I open the door.

We make our way in, following the hostess out to the patio.

"Has he told you anything about his father?" She asks, looking over her menu.

"We've talked about it some, nothing super in detail but, I know enough." I answer, setting my purse down in the chair beside me.

"Ah. Well, he wasn't always like that. He used to be a good looking guy with a charming personality. I personally like to think that college changed him."

"It can do that to you."

"Did you go to college?" She asks as a waitress comes up and takes our orders.

"I did!"

"Did you enjoy it?"

"It was stressful, that's for sure, but other than that I did. I also think that if I didn't go I wouldn't have ended up back in here in Miami."

"Why is that?" She asks, resting her chin on her folded hands.

"I was always homesick. It was really hard at first, but I needed that break from home, and it made me realize I didn't want to move anywhere, like I had thought I did." I say softly chuckling.

"Big cities stress me out too much to live in."

"I get that, but you get used it when you're born and raised in one."

"I could never," She says chuckling, "I'm from a small town in Michigan, right on the boarder of Canada."

"I've always wanted to go to Canada. Something about seeing a hockey game there is more exciting than watching one here." I say as she chuckles.