Chapter Ten | The Lighthouse

All I was able to think about was that I was going through the metamorphosis of love

All I was able to think about was that I was going through the metamorphosis of love. I was at the stage of being a moth. I would be willingly flying toward the fire. I would let myself burn and gladly turn into aches, because I was sure that I would come out of the fire as a beautiful butterfly. I could swear that Leah was going through the same metamorphosis.

Leah and I drove in silence for a few minutes before Leah instructed me to drive up south to this rocky area by the ocean. I told her that we could do something different but she insisted that she promised me a surprise and she was going to deliver.

After half an hour of driving, Leah asked me to turn right into this secluded pathway into a wooded area. Tall pine trees were covering the sides of the road. Then, she asked me to kill the engine and wait for her in the car.

"I'll be back in a minute." she said as she jumped out of the car. As I waited for her in the car, I could hear in the distance the sound of the waves crashing on the rocks. The salty and humid air filled my chest, as I inhaled deeply. The world outside the car was inching toward the evening. The sun would be setting in half an hour or so.

Few minutes later, I saw Leah emerging from behind the pine trees. She looked flushed, as she seemed like she was tip toeing in this deserted area, which was weird.

She walked around the car's hood and peered through my window.

"Come on! Let's go." She said with a smile.

I looked at her suspiciously, as I pulled the car keys from the ignition.

"Why are you trying to be discrete in a deserted wood?" I asked her, opening the car's door.

She didn't say anything. She just smiled at me and shrugged with both her shoulders.

"Oh! Don't forget your camera." she reminded me.

After I retrieved the camera from the car, we both started walking through the same way Leah went through a few minutes ago.

The sound of the waves were becoming louder, as Leah's steps were becoming slower. Suddenly, she stopped walking altogether.

"Try not to make any noises." She whispered.

"What's going on?" I asked nervously.

Leah didn't say anything as we started walking carefully through the pine trees. Then, we reached the end of the woods, as we stood at the edge behind the pine trees.

There was the ocean with its waves colliding with the rocks. There was a tall lighthouse at the edge of a rocky hill. It was tall and mighty, you could see the effect of time on the building. It looked old and rusty, but beautiful and majestic.

The lighthouse was surrounded by barbed wire, which looked out of place. And, there at the bottom of the hill, the reason why we needed to keep quiet.

A medium sized wooden cabinet with the word "Security" written on its door. Two men were inside the cabinet, they were listening to the radio and smoking. The sound of their conversation was lost in the loud crashing waves.