Chapter 16: I'm gay and I slay

Kamila's P.O.V.

I was being forced to get my nails done. They were right now being painted and it was time consuming. Max was reading a magazine as he got his toenails down. "Are you enjoying this?" Robin asked. I know that she wasn't enjoying this either. I slowly relaxed as they massaged my hands. "I don't enjoy going out but once I am, it's fine." I admitted. "It's a real problem I have." I said. We laughed and the woman doing my nails chuckled. "That is very understandable. Having to go out after getting relaxed is a pain." I looked at her and felt an instant connection. "Are we related or something?" I asked her. "Because I feel the exact same way." She smiled at me and brushed her bangs from her eyes.

"You remind me of my sister." The woman said. "By the way, I'm Karmin." I smiled at Karmin. "I'm Kamila." I said with a smile. She nodded and walked over to some nail polishes. "So, which color do you want?" She asked. I looked over the colors and picked one. "This one is nice. It goes nicely with my dress." I said, happily. She painted my fingernails and toenails. I relaxed and looked to my left and saw Jas reading some magazine. I looked to my right and saw Robin asleep as she was getting her nails done. "Almost done with your nails. Just need the final design." I nodded and let her finish. After 5 more minutes, I was having my nails under a dryer and my hair appointment was after this.

Robin was also having her own nails dried and was going to have her hair done. I had repeatedly told her what Senorita Laura had told me. "Apparently when you get your hair done, you get it done by your own race." Robin raised an eyebrow. "What do you mean?" She asked. "Like I'd rather get my hair done in an African salon than anywhere else." I admitted. "I have gone to others, but that was just to have my hair straightened or curled. African salons do my braids." Robin nodded. "I've actually never had my hair braided." I blinked twice and stared at her. "Kamila, I'm a Latinx/black mix, so I'm mixed between two cultures." I blinked once and just nodded and checked my nails. "Well, maybe you should try getting your hair braided for once." I said.

(Pls tell me that wasn't racist. I just think that different races have different techniques for styling hair and some work better than others. My true opinion.)

After 20 minutes, I was in the salon getting a crochet braided hair style. Robin was getting her hair braided for the first time, so I chose a style that is easy to unbraid and wouldn't hurt too much. Almost impossible but I managed to find one. Cornrows. A cornrow low bun to be exact. "Kamsy, why didn't you tell me it hurts like hell?" Robin said, then hissed in pain. I smiled, then winced as I felt a tug on my braids. "Now time for the crochet." I muttered. I felt the braids as they were put in, and the slight pain at each one. Finally after one hour, the braids were done. Robin was done well before me and she was just waiting for me to finish. "Done?" She asked. I nodded and we walked out. Jas was getting her hair done somewhere else. "We shall be the braid sisters."

I announced. Robin laughed and we walked towards the salon that Jas and Max were in. Max had decided to get braids as well because of the four of us. Chinenye had walked out of a salon and joined us. "Hey girls!" She said, with a bright smile on her face. "Sup mujer." I called. She smiled and we made it to where Jas and Max were getting their hair done. "Hello! And welcome to Lucky!" I smiled at the receptionist. "We're just looking for our friends." I said, rocking back and forth on my heels. She nodded. I looked past her and saw that Max was done. "That's one of them." Robin said, pointing at Max. The receptionist, whose name is Katie, looked at who we were pointing at and shot him a dreamy smile.

"Do you think that I have a chance with him?" Katie asked shyly. We all looked at each other and shook our heads. She glared at us when we did. "Screw you all. You don't know that." She hissed. I rolled my eyes and shrugged. "You can try, but trust us, you won't get with him." She glared at us, and Chinenye called Max over. He walked over and flashed a smile to Katie. "Hey." He looked at her name tag. "Katie, it's time for me to pay." He said. She nodded and started twirling a strand of her hair. "Yeah, like of course." Max smiled and made a big show of his nails. She ignored them and continued to get his bill. "The total is 50 dollars." She said, smiling. "That how much your tan was?" Robin asked underneath her breath. I snickered and covered it up with a laugh.

Then Max removed his sweatshirt to reveal his t-shirt. It read 'I'm gay and I slay.' I smirked at her and her eyes went wide. "We tried to warn you." I said, shrugging. Katie glared at me and popped some gum into her mouth. She chewed it loudly and Max paid for his appointment. Then Jas walked over and paid for her own. As we were walking out, I heard her mutter under her breath, "Fucking monsters." I knew she ment Max so I turned around and walked up to her. I stared at her and she glared back at me. "What ?" She growled. "I heard what you said about us and I'm not happy." She huffed and smirked. "So what?" Now it was my turn to smirk. "Have you ever heard of Shadow Shifters?" I asked.

She rolled her eyes. "They're just a myth." She said. I let out a dark chuckle at that. After three minutes, I changed her opinion of that quote unquote myth and was feeling so giddy. "What did you do to her?" Max asked nonchalantly. "Just a simple shadow party trick." I said while skipping. I don't like it when people are rude for no reason.