Part 29

1 DAY LATER

"you know harry osborn then?" i smirk to peter as we sit down on the grass, spreading out snacks for us to eat.

"yeah, we used to be best friends when we were younger. then his dad sent him away and shit, so.." peter says, picking up a strawberry and eating it promptly.

"i still can't believe he gave me that promotion. you know how long i've been overlooked pete, don't you?" he nods, before i continue, "yeah! i was the only woman at that table, and probably the one with the least money! a room full of lawyers, and he's made me the boss of all of them! i still can't believe it" i sigh excitedy, grinning at the story i'd told numerous times.

"i'm really happy for you, you know that?" he smiles, placing his hand on mine, which was propping myself up on the grass.

"yeah, i know. thanks, pete" i grin, sneaking a quick kiss on his cheek.

(~•~)

"so you coming to 'dim sum' tonight? not gonna play out like," i pause, "last time, is it?"

he smirks slightly, "we know how that ended last time, wouldn't complain about that bit" he raises his eyebrows, before seeing my unimpressed face, and continuing, "i won't, princess. i swear" he says, holding out his pinky.

my heart skips a beat as i remember my and me brother doing something similar. my face doesn't drop, however, i flash a convincing grin at him, as to not make him worry, and stick out my pinky, locking it with his, before bringing my hand away.

"see you later, okay?" he questions, getting up from the grass. i hum and nod, smiling before waving him bye.

(~•~)

i sense of déjà vu washes over me, as i am sat at the table, my father and mother laughing and eating, peter not here, while i am left fiddling with the hem of my skirt.

only a couple of days ago, this happened last, and the outcome was both bad and good, i guess.

"is peter showing up, y/n?" my dad asks, after taking a sip of his glass of wine.

"uh, i think so?" i smile, hopefully. he nods, and goes back to my mom, talking about their plans for the summer.

i pull at a loose piece of thread on my skirt, continually messing with it, trying to distract myself from the worry, when a familiar figure appears a few feet away from the window.

"uh, petes out there! let me see if he's okay" i say as i excuse myself from the table. my mom looks out the window, seeing the same figure i do, pacing back and forth, before nodding, letting me go.

i walk towards the door, pushing it open. peter turns, and catches my eye, looking away.

"peter? what is it?" i say softly, but loud enough for him to hear. he turns around to face me, letting out a shaky breath.

he stays silent, so i continue, "hey. what's wrong?"

he shakes his head and bites his lip, and i stare at him straight in the eye, "are you alright?" i whisper, extending my arm to encase his cold cheek with my hand.

"i don't know what im doing" he mumbles, and i realise what's happening.

"it's my brother again, isn't it?" i whisper again.

"yeah. i see him everywhere i go. you know i can't shake this fucking feeling. i can't- i don't know " he says, eyebrows raised slightly.

"yeah, but we've talked about this" i say, sighing lightly.

"i know, but, y/n-" he starts slowly, but i cut him off. "he can't keep us apart, pete"

"y/n. i promised him that i would keep you. and now i'm gonna come and eat dinner with your family. how can I do this? what does this make me?" he says, basically repeating the argument from the other day.

"i don't know, what does that make you?" i question, raking my hands through my hair. "it makes me not able to live with myself" he replies, biting his lip.

"i thought that it meant you loved me" i says, smiling in disbelief and annoyance.

"i do love you. i love you" he states, rubbing his face with his hands.

"then why isn't that enough? huh?" i shake my head. he opens his mouth, closes it, then replies: "because what if something happens to you just like it happened to him because of me?"

"n-no" i start, but this time he cites me off. "wait, listen. i cannot let that happen"

"listen to me" i start slowly. "i've told you this before, just after you saved my life. you saved me. you're spiderman, and im never gonna change it, and i love that part of you. but, i'm never gonna tell you enough, that i love peter parker more. that's worth it to me"

a few tears trickle down his dusty pink cheeks. "i can't lose you too" he mutters.

"if you can't lose me, we can't be together, who does that work out for, pete?" i say, holding his cheek.

"i can't. i'm sorry, y/n"

and i really thought he was gonna let all of this blow over. i really thought that we were gonna be together, through all of this. loss, heartbreak, guilt. but no.

"wow" i shake my head, tears threatening to fall down my face. "you have done this to me again and again, peter. i can't live like this" i pause for a second, thinking over what im about to say.

"i break up with you. you don't get to do this to me. i break up with you" i say, tears finally pouring down my cheeks. peter looks at me, pained, but understanding, and nods, before walking off to whatever, wherever, whoever. after this, happening god knows however many times, i don't care.

i don't care.

so that happened 🤪

as you can tell, the original timeline is heavily our of order, but it's a fanfiction what else did you expect 😍

anyway, bit shorter than last chap, but hope you enjoyed! stay safe <3