Chapter 7 Mission Briefing

"All agents, please report to the meeting room, immediately!"

Kiana and Rodney walked down the hallway leading to the 'situation room' as they called it.

"So kiana, I've been meaning to ask you, how have you been liking your time at Core? You've been working here for two months, how is it?" Rodney asked.
"Its fine, I guess. I suppose its a bit unorthodox. You know, fighting spies,monsters and super villains." She laughed.
"Well, I suppose going from civil rights leader to government agent will do that to a gal!" Rodney chuckled back.

They continued down the hallway together, exchanging glances one at time before kiana commented:

"The best thing about this place is the fact that i'm not judged for being a magi. They treat everyone equally here." Kiana said.
"Yep! Despite being an agency founded to stop communism, we are quite progressive socially speaking." He replied.

"C.O.R.E has supported magi rights in the background since forever." Rodney reminisced.
"Yeah, I don't doubt that." Kiana replied.
"I must admit, Not seeing you in your classic super-suit is a bit incongruous for me." Rodney said.
"I do miss it. Not fighting as a superhero, but fighting as a civil rights leader." Kiana responded.

"I get little satisfaction from punching a bad guy, whether it's as a hero or as a c.o.r.e agent." 
"But when i'm arguing why magi children shouldn't be locked in cages or why magi adults should be given the same treatment as everyone else, that's what gives me fulfillment." 
Kiana's eyes sparkled while she gave that mini-speech. Rodney could tell in her tone that she really meant it. 
"Kiana... I don't know if working here will ever give you that same feeling but I can assure you that what you're doing now is just as important as then." Rodney reassured her as he looked into her sullen eyes.
"I know Rodney, I know." She sighed as she looked forward towards the situation room and their future.
__
The Situation Room - C.O.R.E headquarters.

The situation room was a jolly old room, indeed. It had blue and white walls, a fragrant green floor and all of the world's flags displayed on the ceiling. In the middle stood a table in which holograms and visuals could be displayed, much to the joy of the over-analytical c.o.re experts.

At the other end of the table stood keagan. He had a serious look on his face as he expected to be briefed on this mission. Normally, kiana or rodney would greet him but they understood the seriousness of this meeting, it was no time for small talk. Beside him stood Commander ray who also had a ' no nonsense' look on his face. It was time for business.

After a couple more key c.o.r.e higher ups entered the room, the meeting officially began.

Commander Ray looked at everyone in the room before saying his soliloquy. He seemed like wanted confirmation from them before he could continue. 

"I don't think I need to explain the situation to you all so here's the deal: These monsters are still invading areas around the earth, massacring our populations. There's widespread pandemonium around the world with millions of casualties and refugees." 

"Our world's militaries are trying to hold them off but there's only so much they can do. Conventional weapons are a far cry from what we need to wipe them out." Ray laid out. 

"As of now we only have one weapon to combat these beasts on masse is the dimensional warp device or DWD." Barry placed the DWD on the table in front of him. It was a large black box with purple corners and a red cylindrical button on the top. He looked at it with hope and admiration.

"This device works by  harnessing a small amount of dark matter from space and transforming into a dimensional portal that can only absorb beings not from this dimensional plane and send them back to their original dimension." He explained.

"Our plan per C.O.R.E's leadership's judgement is to construct considerably larger versions of these devices all across the world to trap all the monsters at once." He disclosed.

"-That's great and all, but how will that stop them from coming back?" Someone asked.

"-Glad you asked that, The hope is that by activating all these DWD's at once, it will create a disturbance so destabilizing to the space-time continuum that it will stop them from coming back for good." He explained.

"These DWD's will have to be placed all over the world in order for this to work and we'll need several of our elite c.o.r.e strike teams." He sighed.

"As you can guess from my description from this mission, its chance of success is incredibly low and yet.... Its the only plan we have." Ray sighed.

"That's where you all will come in." Ray said while he exchanged glances with Keagan,Kiana and Rodney.

"You all will be deployed into your own elite strike teams to deploy these DWD'S." 

"Keagan, You'll team up with your friend Lisa and our special agent, Arkane Esper. You'll be going to london." 

"Lisa and... a guy named arkane." Keagan whispered to himself.

"Kiana, Rodney.... You'll be going to toronto.... with him." Ray omniously said.

"...?" 

Kiana and Rodney were a bit confused as commander Ray looked towards the door. They soon realized that someone had entered and when they looked at this individual, they were filled with shock.

"Ned!???!??"