Those Dangerous Donuts

Gwen flung her backpack onto her bed, yanking off her yoga pants and getting into her pajamas once she got home. Billy was still ignoring her, drawing at the table.

She was worried about Harley. She could tell something was seriously wrong with him. Usually, the way he walked on his bad foot was in a kind of an awkward way, like his leg wasn't strong enough to support his whole weight and couldn't turn like his other one.

Today, though, after dancing, it had seemed to be excruciating to even touch it to the ground.

She'd tried texting him, but he wouldn't answer. She became even more nervous when she saw he hadn't even read them yet.

A little part of her was scared that she had done something wrong by kissing him. She hadn't even thought about it---it'd just happened, like they were meant to do that a long time ago. But maybe Harley hadn't wanted to go any deeper into their relationship, so he had faked it just to get out of talking to her.

Taking a deep breath, she forced herself out into the kitchen and sat across from Billy.

HARLEY IN TROUBLE, she signed, using the new sign name Billy had gifted him, crutch used with an H handshape. It was kind of funny, since crutch and purse were the same sign.

Billy still ignored her.

HARLEY GO HOSPITAL, she signed more aggressively. Billy looked up in alarm.

HAPPEN, WHAT?

DON'T KNOW. HARLEY FINE, DANCE PLACE BEFORE. DANCE WITH ME, LIMPING, FELL. HELP OUTSIDE, T-O-N-Y DRIVE EMERGANCY.

Billy pursed his lips and looked away. Gwen slammed her hands on the table, waving for his attention, and he looked back at her.

I SORRY, she signed for the millionth time. I WANT COME HOME. I WANT TALK YOU. NOT ALLOWED. O-K? I NOT PICK, I NOT WANT. ANGRY, WHY?

YOU LEAVE, Billy signed slowly. I ALONE.

I KNOW. SORRY.

Billy sighed, taking the picture he drew and handing it to her. It was her as the Ghost Spider, swinging between buildings. FINE. DON'T REPEAT.

O-K, I TRY. AMAZING DRAWING!

THANK YOU.

***

Sophie had taken the pull-out couch in the basement. Mrs. Roberts had been a little wary at first, but after learning Sophie could cook up a storm since her mother owned a restaurant, she was more than happy to let her stay.

It was kind of awkward when she asked about family history, though.

"So...how are you two related, exactly?" Mrs. Roberts asked at dinner that night. Gwen hesitated---Sophie had a significantly darker skin tone.

"I'm her aunt," Sophie slowly explained with a smile. "By marriage."

"Ah, I see." Mrs. Roberts nodded, passing the cream cheese to Davy, the eight-year-old. He was the youngest in the house. "Where's your husband?"

"He died," Gwen stammered quickly. "Got a heart attack a few weeks ago during a donut eating competition. My Uncle Waldo was a great man, but--but now that he's gone, there was some legal thing and they had to take the house. My Aunt Sophie doesn't have any more living relatives, so now we're all that each other has left."

Sophie gave an approving and proud nod towards Gwen. Then she tried to look sad. "Ah, it's true. My poor Waldo didn't know how many donuts were good for him. Now I'm all alone, with nowhere to turn except my little niece. I just had to be with her now---she fills the donut-hole in my heart."