It was funny, to think how quickly one's feelings could change. Jack had always been someone who made me feel safe. Relaxed even. But now? He'd be lucky if I didn't gut him myself.

For Vincent.

For Alana.

For me.

Jack shifted, just a hairsbreadth to the right, but I went for it. Snapping my head forward, I caught him in the nose. His bellow fell on deaf ears as I twisted onto my stomach. When he lunged for me, I slammed my elbow back as hard as I could. I scored a direct hit to his ribs, and he tumbled off me. Heaving air into my lungs, I scrambled to my feet and made a dash for my phone. Within seconds, I had it in my hands.

I had my contacts open when I heard the lock to the studio snap into place.

Whipping my head up, my gaze zeroed in on Jack. His chest was rising and falling in time with his rapid breaths, and those tawny eyes were murderous. Blood was dripping off his chin as it ran from his nose.

I hoped I had broken it.

"What now?" I asked, spreading my arms wide as I pressed Lucas's name. Please let him hear me. "You've got me trapped. What now, Jaxon?"

A malicious grin twisted his face into something almost unrecognizable. "So, you do know who I am."

"Of course, I do," I spat.

"Pity."

"You're right," I said, dropping my arms and slipping my phone into my waistband at the small of my back. "It's a pity that you turned out to be such a snake."

His laughter set a shiver loose, one that wracked my frame straight down to my bones. "Me? Jules, he killed my father."

"Because your father was responsible for his parent's deaths."

"Revenge is such a funny thing," Jack said, starting to move towards me. For every step forward he took, I tried to sidestep. I knew he was trying to force me back. Trying to get me cornered, but if I could get him to circle me, I could make a break for it. "What would have happened if you met me first? Hmm?"

"What're you talking about?"

"Vincent and I have been dancing around each other for years. But what do you think would've happened if you had heard my side of the story first? We've both done despicable things. But he's the hero in your eyes because he was avenging his family. So am I."

"Vincent didn't kill an innocent."

Jack shrugged. "Alana was collateral. That's what happens in wars."

That startled a laugh out of me. "War?" I asked, raising my brows at him as I took another step to the right. "Your quarrel is with Vincent. But you're too much of a coward to go after him directly, so you target who you think will break him the most. First with Alana, and now with me. But the difference between the two of you isn't that I heard his side first. Because the kills that you two have claimed aren't equal. Vincent would never stoop that low.

"If the situation was different," I continued, meeting his tawny eyes. "If I was someone you cared about, I would never be in any danger from Vincent. He would never lay a hand on me to get to you. And that is what makes him the hero and the better man. That is why people respect him. Follow him. Because even when he has to make horrible decisions, he still makes sure there is the least amount of fallout possible. He's in control of the gang because he is the only one worthy of leading it."