xiii. Good Day

SO ALWAYS LAUGHAND REST ON MY SHOULDER

SO ALWAYS LAUGH
AND REST ON MY SHOULDER

WITH HESITATION, YOONGI punched in the passcode to Belle's lock, like he had countless times before on a Sunday night for lessons. Usually, he wasn't this tense—but it was a certain day in which he felt a little nervous, yet still excited for.

The door swung open after the welcoming melody of the lock, Yoongi feeling the familiar cold air hit him as he walked inside, taking off his shoes.

"You're late!" he had heard a voice from inside, most likely from where the piano was. Yoongi chuckled to himself, knowing that he was indeed late, but for a reason.

He walked in further, seeing Belle sit on her usual stool, flipping music through her hand. "Well, I had to get a cake," he pointed out and held up the plastic bag in his right hand that he was holding. It caught Belle's attention, and she observed the way it looked as though there was a box in the bag.

"No," she sternly said, turning back to the music as if she had seen nothing.

"What do you mean, no?" Yoongi laughed, walking toward the kitchen to place the bag on a counter gently. "It's your birthday."

"How did you even know?" Belle swung her head to look at him, her eyebrow cocked as she placed the music back onto the hood of the piano.

"I found it when I searched you up once."

"You've searched me up before?"

Yoongi froze, blinking before he began to open the bag. "Just take it," he licked his lips, making Belle laugh at his nervous tone. She hopped off of her stool, prancing toward the cake on the counter Yoongi had taken out of the box. She leaned on the counter island, watching him from across the marbled counter. He followed with a singular, long candle, sticking it into the center of the dark chocolate cake, something he knew she would like.

He then searched into the kitchen drawers as if they were his own, until he found a lighter. As she watched him like a child, he lit the candle and shut off the lights. "Make a wish," he whispered, eyes traveling to hers. They were glowing from the small fire of the candle, slightly lighting her face. It was a sight for sore eyes—Belle looking back at him with such contained happiness behind a little smile. Yoongi had learned to read her in his time of knowing her—she was definitely happy.

"You're not going to sing for me?" she asked, a hint of a smirk on her lips. "Aren't you an idol?"

"A rapper," he corrected, leaning on the counter with his arms crossed. Belle giggled before closing her eyes, a content smile on her face that Yoongi nearly melted at. It felt as though he was the only one who would ever see her like this—like her real self, below the cold and bitter exterior she puts forth. It made him want to see her like this more, and he would do anything to make that happen.

She blew out the candle, engulfing the room in darkness. Yoongi clapped in celebration before turning the light back on, seeing Belle already digging into the poor cake with a fork.