Bab 25: Kerosakan Kiah/Kiah's Corruption

...and then I met this wonderful girl named Kiah.

From the first moment I saw her at the night market, I knew she was special. She was a powerful telepath with heaps of potential. Her channeling speed, her projection integrity... all of them were fantastic for a sorcerer with her limited experience. 

I trained her and nurtured her skills. She improved very quickly. I knew at the point that she would be the upper hand we needed in the fight against JAKIS. It was only a matter of time.

Of course, like many things that I'm involved in, there's a catch. She had inai on her hands. I didn't think much of it when I was absentmindedly staring at the design while she was practicing telekinetic force fields. But suddenly, I saw a spiral. The exact same spirals I saw in my vision when I was possessed in Ketereh. Qatila became a part of her somehow.

She was the most beautiful woman I'd ever had the pleasure of knowing. People always correlate beauty with a perfect appearance, but she was so much more than that. One of her front teeth was turned all the way to the side, her nose was crooked, her skin wasn't clear, but I cared little about those "imperfections". I quite liked them actually. I found them charming. To me, beauty is what resides within. She was always kind to me. She had a strong sense of justice. She was a bit nosy when it came to my things, but I hadn't been able to share my findings with anyone in a long time if it weren't for that.

The only bad thing inside her, was that damned djinn.

She's endured more hardships than she deserves. The 99 Door Mansion and Nibong Tebal were prime examples. She never gave up and ended up returning to the Highland Towers. Just like me, she had the scars to show for it.

We talked more and more. I ended up kissing Kiah right on this desk. For a few moments, I was lost in asmaraloka; a world where troubles didn't exist and there was only her, me and love. I pulled her body against mine and... well, I won't write everything else down.

Tonight, I'll be leading our group to the Putrajaya Religious Complex to save Jaxon Amputong. She tied my hair with a rubber band just the other day. I don't look all that bad, I guess. I can count on one finger how many times my hair's been put in a bun. I should probably thank her.

When we come back, I'll look forward to being alone with her under the night sky again.

I turn to the next page of Makira's diary. And the page after that. I don't even know what I expected. Of course they're all empty. 

I should've protected her. I should've stayed close and made sure she got out unharmed. I just... I wish I could've said goodbye to her and told her how much she meant to me—how much I fucking loved her. She was taken from this world too soon.

"That makes your blood boil, doesn't it? Your enemies killing your sweetheart?"

"I'll make them suffer, Qatila."

"And you will release me when the time comes, Masyitah. They will cower."

I close Makira's dusty diary and put it back inside my sling bag. I look at the couches, the dining table, the prayer mats all stacked up in the corner, not to mention the racks of Qurans on the shelves.

Everywhere I look, red stains the furnishings. Tsk. I was expecting some sort of struggle when I dealt with those bodyguards.

I step over half a corpse on the white marble floor, making sure not to walk on any of its internal organs. One of the bodies is still breathing against the refrigerator door. He looks around at the amalgamation of flesh, skin and bones surrounding him. His eyes widen as he sees me coming closer and he starts hyperventilating.