The Test

Virdjana's POV

"Hear me out. I have my reasons for being the bad guy in this picture." I uttered as I meet his unfriendly gaze.

"You think that I'd believe the tongue of a thief? You said you're not a Wind Enchant, yet 'you' are a one. You're not only a thief but also a liar. " He angrily remarks with arms crossed in front of his chest.

Does he think those shallow insults could hurt my feelings? I scoffed internally. I walked towards the air barrier, then around it so I could talk to him face to face.

"Citizens of my status live a less privileged life than others. How will I be able to support my parents if you snitch me to the authorities?" I spoke in a pretentious sad voice. 

I'm surprised. How was he able to remember someone like my persona when I haven't been in this city for a couple of years?

"Is that enough reason to steal daily? There are far more respectable jobs." The Enchants stated as his eyebrows furrowed.

Is he stupid too?

I turned to my left, a hand on my forehead as I dramatically continued my justification for thievery, "it can't be helped. I have to do it."

Tch, until when will I continue acting, and talking in this slum accent?

The boy grumbled under his breath, "I understand that it's not easy to find a job that doesn't require you to follow the laws. As far as I can tell, you have skills, you can try signing up for the army, or become a vegetable vendor."

I did my best to hold back a chuckle, but failed to do so, "you're serious?"

"Why? Are you offended? Then a fish vendor, they're more challenging." He continues as he cups his chin like some sort of detective.

'Ah, he's trying to piss me off on purpose.'

This is already a waste of time. I was planning to check out the academy longer, but this situation will be a pain in the ass. These random student actually recognized me. I haven't even lasted a whole day without anyone ignoring my existence.

"Why don't we negotiate? I let you go, and we forget all of these happened." I stated as I pull my knife from my back pocket, twirling it using my left hand.

"Didn't you realize that attempting to steal in this academy is stupid? Do you think students here are weak?" He laughed before clenching his fists, "Jail Blazes!"

"A Fire Spell?"

A trail of fire ignited around me, spreading like a net, and locking me in a birdcage. 

Smart move. Instead of escaping from my trap spell, he created one around me too. 

"Foremostly, before you burn this pitiful thief, I would like to tell you why I trespassed into the academy grounds. I'm here to sightsee, not to steal." I uttered like someone promising an oath.

"I already told you that I won't believe you." He said with a scoff. 

"You're the inconsiderate type, I see. That's your choice." I cracked my neck and did three sit-ups within his jail.

"We already have something in common, Enchant." As we are conversing, my fingers are already doing their job to cast another spell. "Centrifugal."

By casting this spell, the air barrier around the Fire Enchant vanished, returning to my direction to revolve around the fire spell. It worked like a vacuum that sucked all the mana from his spell.

"Tch. You're lucky you know that spell." The Fire Enchant clicked his tongue, his leg sliding sideways. "Now, that we're out of our cages. Let's fight." grinned the student.