Chapter Nine: The Mysterious Case of Lucas Friar

Entering the police office with a ton of people staring at you is one of the worst feelings Riley had ever felt. They seemed to have their gazes seeping deep into her soul as if they were trying to dig out her darkest secrets. It made her feel bare, almost as if she was completely see through.

"I thought you said you were going to bring us home." snapped Maya.

"Not until we ask you some questions and phone your parents." answered one of the policemen.

They brought them (except Lucas) into one of the interrogation rooms, a room so dusky and dull it made Riley feel uneasy. An attorney came in, looking stern.

"My name is Angelina Turner and I am Lucas's attorney. Please, sit down."

They did as they were told. Angelina took her seat across them and laid down a bunch of files, spreading them out so she can see them easily. She took out a pen and clicked it, beginning to write on a spare sheet of lined paper.

"Okay, what are your names? Let's start with you."

"Riley Matthews."

"Maya Hart."

"Farkle Minkus."

Angelina nodded as they spoke.

"Thank you. Now I'm going to ask you three a series of questions. Please do not speak unless you are spoken to and tell the truth at all times so we can get this over and done with as soon as possible."

Maya nodded.

"What were you all doing in Lucas's house? Let's start with you, Riley."

Riley gulped. She told her every bit of why they went there in detail while Angelina sucked on her pen and took down notes.

"Is that the same reason for the rest of you?"

Maya and Farkle nodded. It surprised Riley to see they weren't talking as much as they usually would; they seemed rather intimidated by Angelina.

"Do you know why Lucas was arrested?"

"All we heard was that he was under arrest for suspicion of murder...But that's impossible, Lucas would never do something as psychotic as that!" Farkle squeaked.

Angelina sighed.

"I thought so. I tried to convince him to tell you guys since it would save a lot of trouble but obviously, he's a very overprotective and stubborn person."

Riley frowned.

"He's not stubborn! He's just-" Riley searched for the right word, "-broken..."

Angelina showed no sympathy towards them, her face was blank and her eyes were filled with no emotion. It was hard to detect what exactly she was thinking or feeling about the situation. If Riley was honest, it almost looked like she was bored and that infuriated her. 

"Do you all have a good connection with Lucas?"

"Yes, of course!" Riley said coldly.

"Have you all done anything bad?"

"No!"

"Riley, may I ask you to calm down please?"

"Calm down?! Says you! You look like a bored attorney who doesn't give a flying damn about what Lucas is going through right now! Why are you even here if you aren't going to take this seriously?!" Riley screamed. Angelina smashed her fist on the table.

"Don't you dare talk to me like that. I never asked to take on this position! They assigned me on this case only because Lucas doesn't have a lawyer! I don't want to be here as much as you do!"

Angelina stopped to catch her breath, glaring at Riley.

"Well you better man up soon because if you lose on purpose to the other side, I will never forgive you. This is our best friend for crying out loud! Come on. Let's go. This lady is pathetic. I don't see how Lucas will be able to win at all when it comes to going to court."

Riley stormed out with Maya and Farkle following behind her. Her face was as hot as a stove. She didn't know what was going on but all she knew was that she had to figure out what they arrested Lucas for and find evidence to help him before he is sent to prison.

—————

I hope this chapter made sense :/ Like I said before! I don't edit my chapters anymore so there are probably plot holes and stupid stuff going on in my stories! Thank you all for 2K reads!!! WOW I'M SO GRATEFUL! :) I might hold a story cover contest once I reach 5K reads, what do you guys think?

*6+ COMMENTS FOR THE NEXT CHAPTER!*