Chapter Eight: Sealed

Farkle hustled into the room, sitting next to them by the window.

"What the hell was that?" he said exasperatedly, "Are they hinting what I think they're hinting?"

"I don't know!" Riley screamed. Before anyone could say anything else, Riley's dad popped his head into the room.

"They're gone now. Do you guys want anything to eat? I'm heading out to pick Auggie up from his friend's house."

"No thank you Mr. Matthews." Maya responded for Riley who had her fists clenched on her thighs. He noticed that but decided to ignore it.

"Sure. I'll be back in about an hour. Stay safe okay?" he exited the room, closing the door slowly behind him. As soon as it was shut, Riley jumped up from her seat and paced around the room.

"Riley, we'll find out what's wrong together, just sit down." Farkle pleaded.

"No!" she exclaimed. Farkle flinched. Riley felt slightly guilty and took a deep breath to calm herself down. "Sorry, I'm just really stressed out right now."

Riley took out her phone and started texting Lucas a new message:

rileyy :): the police just dropped by my house, they interrogated me, maya and farkle. they even asked a question about if u would ever commit murder?!?! wth is their problem?!

Riley sighed and sat down on the edge of her bed. She looked back down at her phone and gasped when she saw the words on the top saying "Lucas Friar is typing..."

Her eyes intently gazed at the screen, awaiting a response.

However, it never came. Soon those words disappeared from the top and never returned again. She groaned, put her phone down and cupped her face in her hands while leaning forward.

This was going way too far. To have the police hint something as cruel as that made Riley think that she's had enough with this mess. Although Lucas told her not to come looking for him ever again, she knew this had to stop before it drove everyone crazy.

"Let's go. We're going to pay a little visit to Lucas's house. Maybe we can find him there and do some investigation ourselves."

Farkle and Maya exchanged glances, obviously deciding whether or not this was such a good idea, then eventually nodded.

***

They took the subway to his house, crossing what seemed like endless roads and finally ending up near a field in the middle of nowhere. Lucas's house was small compared to the others along the street, all of which had their own front and backyard to take care of horses or crops. Lucas's house was tinted blue with white frames around the windows and a rood made of brick. It didn't exactly match but it was still pretty neat. A small barn, with the capacity to be able to fit at least three horses, stood empty except for the hay within in. His crops were dried up; it looked like it hadn't been watered in weeks. The gate separating the entire plot from the streets were chained several times. It looked like they wanted no one to enter. Maya ran and hopped swiftly over the chains.

"Come on." she said. Farkle and Riley followed behind and crossed the wide front yard to the door of the house.

Riley peeked through the window while Farkle and Maya knocked on the door.

"Lucas? Are you there? It's Maya and Farkle!" Maya yelled.

It was dark inside the house, the only source of light was coming from the window Riley was looking through, the rest were shaded by blinds or curtains. Riley frowned when she saw that the house was empty, all of the furniture was gone except for a couple of boxes lying around. To her, the house looked lifeless and miserable; it made her wary.

"Lucas?" called Farkle.

The door opened suddenly and Lucas stood in the door frame, looking furious.

"I thought I told you to stop finding me." he scowled. Lucas noticed Riley and she swore he saw his gaze harden slightly, "Especially you."

Riley looked at him with guilt.

"Didn't you get my message?" she asked.

"About the police? Yeah. Foolish newcomers." he muttered the last part, dragging his fingers through his hair, "I specifically told them- Argh!"

Riley ran up to him and held his shoulders.

"Don't stress yourself over it. However, you do have some explaining to do."

Lucas's eyes gleamed when he gazed into her eyes, she could notice a little twinkle of happiness from just seeing her.

Maya coughed; cutting their moment.

Lucas stepped back awkwardly, clearly remembering Farkle and Maya were watching them.

"Do you...want to come in?" he asked.

Riley smiled, glad he was opening up for once.

"Yes please."

Lucas stood back for them to pass through. They entered the gloomy living room and Riley remembered the cardboard boxes she saw earlier which were still on the ground around them.

"Are you packing or something?" she asked. Lucas ignored her and headed up the stairs to the second floor.

"Let's talk in my room."

Riley took another short glance at the boxes before following him upstairs.

On the landing, the only light streaming through was a dim light coming from Lucas's room, everything was still dark.

"Are you the only one in this house? Where are your parents?"

"They-" Lucas hesitated, "They're out buying some more boxes."

Maya narrows her eyes, clearly, she wasn't convinced, nevertheless she kept her mouth shut.

Lucas's room was also filled with boxes, the rest of his belongings were scattered on his bed.

Maya rolled her eyes and groaned.

"Cut the crap Lucas and answer Riley's question. Where are you going?"

Lucas stopped in his tracks and turned to her with fury in his eyes.

"How dare-"

He didn't get to finish his sentence as the sound of sirens wailed loudly from downstairs.

They all ran to the window and saw a group of policemen heading for the door.

"What-"

The door to his room burst open and two policemen came in, grabbed Lucas, turned him around and cuffed his hands behind his back.

"Lucas Friar, you are under arrest for the suspicion of murder."

"Wait! What is going on? Lucas didn't do anything!" shrieked Riley.

"Miss, please do not interfere. We will bring you home now so please follow us downstairs."

Maya and Farkle started to follow with their eyes widened in fear. Riley was astounded. Lucas looked at her with the same expression.

"Come on miss." a policewoman entered the room and grabbed Riley along with the rest of them.

Downstairs, the policewoman guided the three of them into a police car. Riley sat down and turned her head just in time to see a policeman shove Lucas's head into the back seat of a separate police car.

—————

WHOA! WHAT JUST HAPPENED?! DAMN!

Hahaha but thank you all so much for 2K BLOODY READS AND MORE THAN 200 VOTES (and almost more than 50 reads) :O YOU GUYS ARE AMAZING!

Leave your thoughts below on this chapter! I'm glad I made it kind of long :)

*5+ COMMENTS FOR THE NEXT CHAPTER!*