Chapter One: Days Gone By

"We need to find out what's going on." said Maya, turning over onto her stomach on Riley's bed.

"Isn't that what we've been trying to do all along?" Riley replied angrily. Maya ignored her tone.

"Has Farkle said anything yet?"

I shook my head, looking down at my phone.

"He said there was no one in his house when he got there. No one answered and all the lights were off."

"Well did he try breaking down the door?"

"Maya! That's not a very good idea."

"So-rry."

There was a knock at the door.

"Come in!"

Farkle entered the room, he was sweating madly and he kept pulling at the collar of his turtleneck to let some air in.

"What do we do now? There's not sign of him! I'm starting to think he isn't even in the country." he said fearfully, "Have you messaged him?"

"I've tried everyday, left around twenty messages to which he has never replied to." my voice shook with stress. Maya pulled her into a hug.

"Come on, let's just forget this for today. We'll go to school tomorrow and figure things out again okay?" she said. Riley nodded and rubbed her eyes.

"Do you guys want some ice cream?"

"Ice cream? Ooh!" Farkle looked at her with his eyes widened. Riley laughed and stood up to go outside with only the thought of Lucas in her head the whole time.

***

"Goooooood morning!" said Farkle, jumping in front of them by their lockers.

"Morning Farkle." replied Maya. Farkle gave them his goofy grin as they walked into the classroom.

Riley gasped.

She couldn't believe her eyes.

Was it really...?

"L-Lucas?" SHe squeaked as the others behind her gasped as well.

When the person in Lucas's seat looked up, she was puzzled for a second. Riley could barely recognize him. His usually neat and glossy hair was disheveled, he had huge bags under his eyes and a large plaster on the side of his neck. His face was darker than when they last saw him (almost ashen) and the clothes he wore were two times smaller.

She began to walk towards him to give him a hug but Maya held her back. She shook her head worriedly and Riley understood immediately.

You'd expect Lucas to at least say a few words of comfort or something however instead, he glared at them, almost like he was going to murder them. They all stood there looking at him in fear for a few seconds before Maya suggested they took their seats.

Riley sat down in my usual seat in front of him and faced the board, then hesitantly, she turned around and began to open her mouth to speak but quickly shut it. It didn't look like he noticed her turn around at all.

"Lucas...?" she started gingerly.

He didn't move.

"You know you can tell us anything right? We're your friends, remember...?"

Riley reached out her hand towards him. 

SMACK!

She felt her arm starting to slowly burn from the impact. She instantly retracted her arm and could feel tears starting to rise and a lump in her throat. Farkle and Maya scrambled to her side. Maya was furious.

"What the hell, Ranger Rick! What's wrong with you?" she shrieked. Lucas banged his fist on the table and immediately stood him. 

Then she caught something in the corner of her eye. It was a silver glint, reflected from the lights above us. Her eyes moved over to the end of the object.

It was a knife.

Riley's eyes widened with panic. Soon enough, Maya and Farkle caught on and instantly backed away. Lucas tightened his grip on the knife.

"I thought I told you to leave me alone!" he raised his voice in fury and ran outside the classroom, carrying his bag with him.

—————

Yay finally a new chapter! Sorry for not updating I completely forgot about this story XD Tell me what you think!

QOTC:

1) What do you think is going to happen next?

2) What do you think happened to Lucas?

Comment below your answers! 3+ votes AND comments (answering the question