𝕮𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 53

„Kuroo, do you like Riyuki?” both Kuroo's and Kenma's eyes widened at her words, as Kuroo slowly moved his eyes in Y/n's direction, meeting a wide grin on her face.                              

„What are you talking about? Why would I ever like someone like Riyuki?”

Ah, there we go. First stage, denial.

She smirked at her own thoughts, not moving her gaze away from her best friend for even a second.

The longer he maintained the eye contact with her, the more he seemed to be hesitating.

„I don't want to talk about this,” he muttered, glancing away from her and resting his chin on his knees once again. This time, he also covered his head with his arms from both sides, so that neither Kenma nor Y/n would be able to see his expression, his insanely flushing, devastated expression.

„Kuroo,” Y/n said softly, placing her left hand on Kuroo's back, caressing it gently.

„She'll come back.”

„When? In two years? One year?” he spoke, remaining in the exact same position, his voice almost cracking as he spoke.

„Why does this always have to happen to me? I didn't even think of something like this ever happening to me. I never thought I would start liking her of all people.”

„Yeah, me neither,” Kenma added, and Y/n immediately flashed a glare at him.

„Shut up!” she mouthed without actually saying a single word, and Kenma merely stared at her, obviously annoyed, as he leaned against the backrest of the couch.

„Like I said, she'll come back. It doesn't matter if it's in a year or two. Maybe the fact that she probably won't be coming back very soon is actually good. Perhaps it'll help you to understand the way you're feeling better, or if your feelings for her are even real.”

Silence. Y/n stopped caressing Kuroo's back and after a moment of thinking, he removed his right arm from his knee, tilting his head towards her as he spoke, „You think so, Chibi-chan?”

She nodded with a reassuring smile on her face, and then the realisation hit him as he straightened himself into a proper sitting position.

„What is it?” Y/n asked curiously.

„You know today at the arcade when I was taking too long to get out of that place where we played together as a team?”

She nodded again, this time more energetically than before.

„That girl, your first ever best friend...she asked me on a date.”

Y/n's eyes grew wide at those words, as her gaze promptly met Kenma's and then she glanced back at Kuroo.

„I-I don't think that would be a good idea,” Y/n said, remembering the way Yuki and her friend glared at her for no apparent reason.

„Yeah I know, I already told her that I don't want to date someone who's disrespecting my best friend.”

„But-?”

„But, what if trying to go on one date with that girl will actually help me figure out my feelings for Riyuki?”

Y/n stared at him vacantly for a moment, processing his words, glancing at Kenma who shook his head in disagreement, and then she took a deep breath in and paused.

„No,” she finally uttered, exhaling loudly.

„Why not?!”

„I don't know Kuroo, I know that Yuki has had a crush on you for a long time now, but back then she was much different than she is now. I don't know why, but right now it seems like there's something wrong with her. She gives off bad vibes, and I really don't like it.” she explained, shuddering at the mere thought of the way her former best friend had been looking at her. There was something familiar about the way she looked at her today, something terrifyingly familiar.