𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟓𝟏

3rd POV

The titans stood completely still as they incased the Scouts into the district. There was first a row of two-to-four meter titans followed by titans ten to fifteen meters. At the center of the circle stood the seventeen-meter Beast Titan, his glowing eyes piercing into the Scouts on the wall.

And on that wall, all scouts unsheathed their swords and faced their enemies. Levi and Armin had returned from the other side and Levi called out to Erwin.

"Erwin, he's gonna climb up."

Their gazes turned over to Shiganshina where Reiner was now up on his feet. The fingers and toes of his Armored Titan jerked around as a second layer of crystal blue hardening went over them. With his sharpened nails, he dashed to the wall and dug his left foot into the stone to begin climbing.

"All troops! Avoid clashing with the Armored Titan! Stay away from him!" Erwin yelled. His soldiers responded right after with agreement to his orders. Over with Eren and Squad Hange, he gazed at Reiner.

"Ms. Hange, why didn't he signal to attack? What's he thinking?" He asked her confused.

"He's watching the enemy's movements. Because Reiner and friends prepared some sort of grand welcome for us." She told him.

With Erwin, his eyes landed on a short figure beside the Beast Titan. It stood on its four limbs and carried luggage on its saddle. Only that it wasn't one of the titans just transformed. Which made Erwin question if that was the enemy's scout. If it took notice of our approach and informed Reiner, that must mean...

"That quadruped type down there is an intelligent titan." Behind him, Y/n, Armin, and Levi widened their eyes. "No, there might even be others." He said. Their eyes landed on the titan he spoke of.

That titan...has luggage? Armin thought, he could only spot the shape of it past the fog that blew in front of it. What could it be?

The Beast Titan suddenly raised its arm, the scouts gasped as it slammed it against the ground with a roar. Whilst birds flew out of trees from the impact, the smaller titans in the circle broke into a sprint toward the wall.

Hearing the commotion behind her, Hange looked over and gasped. "They're moving! Multiple two-to three-meters approaching!" She told her squad along with Eren and Mikasa.

It's just like the raid at Utgard Castle...Erwin thought, his eyes falling to the horses stationed in the small town in front of Shiganshina's gate. They'll go after the horses first. Their primary objective is to capture Eren and Y/n, but...To achieve that, they'll take away our only escape option. With Wall Maria still being deep in titan territory, we have no means to get back without horses. Just killing our horses, completely blocks our escape and severs our supply line.

A possible future was imagined. Tired and hungry scouts sat on the wall, the titans were still surrounding them. Whether it takes one week or a month, they can simply wait until there's nobody who can move. Without any of the risks of battle; Eren and Y/n sat weakly, their cheeks hallowed in at malnutrition. They can waltz in and take the Jaegers once they're too weak to resist. Right now, the fact that all those larger titans are staying in formation is proof that their only purpose is to cage us in.

A couple of scouts watched Reiner scale the fifty meters, gasping when he was only a few meters away from them. "Commander! The Armored Titan is close! And we still don't know where Bertholdt is!" Armin informed.

"Yeah, I know," Erwin answered. At this point, what I fear most...is that Reiner and Bertholdt slaughter our horses unchecked. Therefore...

Erwin took a break, gaining the attention of Levi. "Are you finally ready to say something? I could've had breakfast during the wait." Levi said. He watched as Erwin lowered his gaze to Y/n.