𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟒𝟖

3rd POV

  It was eighteen years ago. Wall Maria. In front of the gates of Shiganshina, two people were there.

"Hey, you two! What are you doing here?!" Keith from nearly twenty years ago asked bewildered. "How did you guys get past the walls?!" The two in front of him stood just as confused as he was.

Keith believed it was two men, one with dark brown hair and teal green eyes. He was visibly tired. And the same could be said of the one who stood behind him. He had blonde hair and blue eyes, much shorter than the brunette. The two must have been outside of the walls for a long time as their appearance was unkempt.

The brunette spoke first, protectively shielding the blonde with his body. "Wh-What are you all doing outside the wall?! Don't tell me...you're fighting?!" He asked. Keith became more concerned.

Was it the truth or a lie? They couldn't remember why they were outside the walls. All of their memories had been lost. Except that they knew their names, Grisha Jaeger and Cameron L/n.

The two sat in a cell, Hannes stared at them in amazement. "Who knew it's a crime to go into titan territory without permission?" He laughed, "I thought only you Scouts were dumb enough to go outside the walls." Keith crossed his arms, clearly seeing the pink tint in his cheeks and smelling the scent of booze on him.

"Isn't there a law that jails idiots who drink on duty, Hannes?"

Hannes snorted. "Anyways, it's not like they hurt anyone, so...Let's not report it, all right?" Keith agreed.

Outside of the HQ in Shiganshina, Keith stood with the pair. "Well? What do you two plan on doing now?" He asked them. Grisha stared down at the city while Cameron appeared spaced out.

"I remember something other than my name. I'm a doctor. Introduce me to a hospital. I should be able to help." He said it made Keith tilt his head that Grisha remembered something that specific. "What about your friend?" He glanced over at Cameron.

"I'll take care of her...until we get on our feet." Keith narrowed his eyes, Cameron was a woman? She looked just like a man, but now that he looked at her with the idea, she did have softer features. Cameron seemed to sense his stare and narrowed her eyes at him. "Um, do you know each other? You did shield her back there, Grisha." Keith asked. The two had lost their memory, why would Grisha take care of someone he doesn't know?

"We're close. She was the only other person with me while we were lost." Grisha said, Cameron stayed silent. Keith found it odd she wouldn't speak but decided not to ask her anything. "I was wondering..." His eyes went back to Grisha. "Could you teach us? About this world...About the Scouts. About all of you." Grisha smiled.

They truly knew nothing at all. Not about this world...or anything.

"I see." Grisha cupped his chin. The three sat around a table at a tavern as Keith answered their questions. (Which was just Grisha as Cameron still hadn't spoken) "Although there's economic inequality, there's peace within the walls. At the least, you don't live in constant fear of titans. That's good." Off at another table, a waitress poured customers drinks.

"That's good, huh?" Keith grunted. "You're one of them?" Grisha removed his hand and stared at Keith, had he said something wrong? "Within these cramped walls, as long as there's food and alcohol, some think that's good enough. Not once have they stopped to think how wide the world might be." Keith said, it made Grisha gasp.

"Is that why you venture outside the walls? Is that what Scouts do?"

"That's right." Keith laughed, expecting the reaction he always got from people. "Does it seem foolish?" He asked Grisha, but Grisha didn't laugh, he didn't hesitate to agree with Keith.