𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟒𝟓

3rd POV

  Historia walked into the room, now fitted with her uniform and gear, she joined her friends by standing in a line behind their superiors.

"We're determined the location of Rod Reiss' titan. It's southwest, approaching Orvud. At this rate, it should reach Orvud District by dawn." A soldier announced to the room. Beside Erwin stood a Garrison captain who turned to speak to the commander.

"Commander Erwin, we'd all like to hear what your plan is. How do you intend to evacuate the citizens in time?" He asked. Erwin glanced at him and gave his answer.

"We won't evacuate."

The captain's face dropped. "Wh-What?"

"We'll have the citizens remain in Orvud District just as they are," Erwin said. All the soldiers in the room that didn't belong to the Scouts began to hesitate. "Are you insane?" The captain commented to Erwin. When he didn't say anything, the captain grabbed ahold of Erwin's collar. "What the hell are you thinking, Erwin?!" He yelled.

"Keep the citizens in the city without evacuating?! By the time it's dawn, that titan will be all over us!"

Hange placed her hand on the table, her other arm is wrapped in a sling after visiting the medics. "That titan is an abnormal." She said. But the captain wasn't having it. "What the hell does that even mean?!" He yelled back.

"The target titan is strangely attracted to high concentrations of people. Hence, abnormal. It means the fellow will turn a blind eye to a small village, ignoring it in favor of reaching this fortified city." Hange told him. "If right now, you were to evacuate the citizens within Wall Sina, it would be drawn towards them, destroying the wall and all in its path."

In her head, she imagined Rod climbing past the wall to get to the people. "In the end, it would reach Mitras, with the greatest density of people...and deliver a devastating blow to humanity." The Garrison soldiers stood quiet now.

"On our way back, we attempted to use Eren Jaeger's power to control titans, but...Rod Reiss' titan showed no reaction." Hange's mind trailed off.

-

Standing on the moving wagon, Eren faced the direction of Rod Reiss' titan. With his hands balled in fists, he punched the air as he tried to command the titan.

"Stop, titan!" Eren yelled, "Hey, stop! I'm talking to you!" One punch after the other, the titan had no reaction to Eren's yelling. "Can't you hear me, idiot?! Rod Reiss, that means you!" Becoming frustrated, he yelled out an insult.

"You tiny old man!"

That's when Eren realized who was sitting behind him in the wagon; it was Captain Levi. Eren's face fell in horror.

-

Erwin looked down at the captain. "If we are to stop that titan, we must do so outside the walls of Orvud District. For that to happen, we must have the citizens act as bait. However, this does not change the fact that our first duty as soldiers is to protect the citizens. Supposing we're unable to halt the target, we'll take measures so that not a single citizen is killed. We'll announce an emergency evacuation drill for Orvud District so that if needed, the citizens will be ready to evacuate at once." Erwin explained his plan.

The captain took in a deep breath, still in a cold sweat. But he looked up at Erwin and spoke. "It seems there's no other choice..."

"The body of our target is the largest we've seen. As such, it presents an easy target." Erwin told him. "Wall-mounted cannons should prove highly effective, but...If that's not enough to bring it down..." Turning his head, Erwin's gaze went to Eren. "The Scout Regiment will throw everything we have at it."