Chapter 26- Compassion

Christine awoke after five hours of sleep, and the first thing she wished she could see was sunlight. It was impossible, though. First, there weren't windows in the bedroom. Second, she was trapped inside. And third, Erik wasn't going to let her go. Actually, the third reason was soon to change. A little bit more of this 'being nice' thing and I'll be free.

She had yet to open her eyes because she could feel that there was another person in the room. She most certainly didn't want to see him. Not yet… Just a little more time to myself.

"Christine? Sweet heart, are you awake?" Erik asked softly from his chair beside her bed. He'd returned to her bedroom after speaking with Nadir and had watched her sleep. It was going on 60 hours since he'd had any sleep at all. It made no difference, though, since Erik had strange sleeping habits. He could go for a week at a time with under 10 hours of sleep. In fact, he found it to be one of his greatest qualities, especially since Christine was now living in his home…no, their home.

He watched as his Sleeping Beauty stirred from her slumber.

It was his use of 'sweet heart' that caused Christine to open her eyes. He'd used the nickname once before in her presence and it still irritated her. "Yes, I'm awake," she replied with forced kindness while sitting up. She so badly wanted to exclaim, 'let me go right now, you psycho-path!'. She missed her father, she was sad that she couldn't see Meg, she missed her cell phone, she missed her car.. The list went on and on. Maybe.. "Erik?"

"Yes, my dear?" His tone was eager.

"I was in a car wreck, right?"

Sadly, he responded, "Yes, Christine, and I was the cause of it."

She tried not to listen to the last part of his response so as not to become angry. "Well, what happened to my car?" Stay calm, Christine, stay calm..

"Oh, angel, there's no reason to fret. Your car is fine. It is in good hands."

He just sounded so carefree about it, as if it were no big deal. Christine had to grit her teeth. "Yes, well, what happened to my luggage? And my purse? And my cell phone?"

"Again, they are all in good hands." He smiled at her in order to prove that he was being honest.

Ok, here goes.. "Can I see my cell phone? I should reassure my da-"

"No," Erik interrupted. "You may not see your cell phone. Now, let me go prepare your breakfast. I will be right back." He reached forward and brushed her cheek lightly before leaving the room and locking the door on his way out.

Christine shook her head slowly while glaring. How dare he?

"Christine?"

Her eyes widened and she grabbed the walkie-talkie before burying her face under the pillow to stifle the sound. "Mr. Kahn, how are you?" She was so glad to hear his sane voice.

"I must say this quickly. Your being nice to him isn't having the affect I thought it would. He seems to think you are actually growing to care for him, that you are falling in love with him. He won't let you go if he believes that."

Christine sat motionless while listening to the information. "B-but you said it would work.." It was a stupid comment, but it was all she could think to say.

"I was wrong, Christine, and I'm so sorry. I suppose my advice would be to be yourself… See where that gets you."

"Be myself? I don't know how to be myself around-" She suddenly heard Erik outside her door. "Gotta go," she whispered with a shaky voice. Christine laid the walkie-talkie under her pillow before staring straight ahead at her bedroom door with a frown on her face and her arms crossed.