Chapter 2- True Identities

Perhaps it would have been best not to think of the masked man again. Christine basically made a fool of herself in his presence, anyway. But his presence was haunting her.

 Christine placed her book on her bedside table and turned off the lights. Crawling into bed, she sighed into her pillow. It had been three days since their visit to the mansion. It was something she knew she would never forget. She didn't want to.

 That music.. The melody would not escape her mind. She hummed it while trying to go to sleep.

 Whoever that man was, he had a gift, she decided. But, it was not just a gift. If only he attended her college... Christine knew he would blow them all away with his talent. He didn't even look that old. I wonder where he went to college? Actually, she wondered many things. Who exactly was that guy?

 A genius. Yes, Christine decided he was just that.

Erik paced the floor of his favorite den. The mansion actually held three dens, but this was the one he was most fond of.

For three nights now, he could do nothing but pace.

The angel. He wished to see the angel!

She was like the sun breaking through on a cloudy day, which was every day for Erik.

His mind refused to make any of the obvious connections any other mind would make. Although he was a genius, Erik just couldn't figure out that the 'angel' was actually Gary Daae's daughter.

Outside the den, Nadir passed by the door and shook his head sadly. Something was definitely occupying Erik's mind...  He continued to stare at the pacing man.  Erik hadn't even noticed him yet, which was highly unusual. His partner and leader really was finally being driven to insanity.

But Nadir, like Erik, was oblivious to the obvious. When Erik spoke of the 'angel', Nadir thought he was going mad. It never occurred to him that the 'angel' was actually Christine.  Erik never saw or spoke to others, so Nadir assumed he was delusional.

Erik felt Nadir's presence in the hall but made no remark of it. He could not get his mind off the angel. He had little room for anything else.

Never had Erik believed in a Higher Power. Life had shown him time and time again that there was no such thing as kindness, just cruelty. But perhaps the angel had proven him wrong...

Gary Daae returned home from work with a smile on his face. "Christine!" he yelled excitedly as he entered the apartment.

Christine came running from her place on a couch in their den. "What is it, Dad?"

"Good news! Mr. Delozier has finished the design!"

"Already? Isn't it too soon for him to be done? You put a lot of detail into that thing.."

"Yes, well, he wishes for us to come have a look. I know, I think it's soon too, but we'll just see if we like it."

Christine shrugged with a smile, picking up some of her father's excitement. "Well, let's go see it."

They drove to the mansion, and Christine's mind was on one thing.  Maybe I will see him again.

They reached the front door and Gary rang the doorbell.

Nadir greeted them. "Ah, yes. I believe you will like what he's done."