Chapter XXXVI | A New Companion

"One, Two,...." I counted as I went past the rooms "Four!"

I turned the keys and slowly opened the door as it made an annoying creaking noise.

"Umm.... Hello?" I said into the cold-small room.

A single-bed stood on the side of the room, occupying most of the space in it. A small wooden table with two drawers sat right next to it, on which a pair of circular spectacles lay abandoned.

I carefully took it and examined it, as it sort of reminded me of someone but who?

"Anyone here?" Galena spoke into the dark room, in which undoubtedly no-one was there, but someone surely lives here.

"Ouch!" Toivo exclaimed as his foot accidentally hitted the side of the bed.

I glanced over to the window that hung on the head-side wall of the bed, it was open, a slight wind and shimmered glow of moon escaped into the gloomy room. And there on the arched roof, stood a girl looking acutely at the starless sky with her oddly huge binoculars.

"Look, she is there!" I murmured.

"What?" Galena and Toivo exclaimed as they sprinted towards the window.

We slowly stepped out, trying to not make a sound as we curiously kept our eyes on the peculiar girl.

She seemed older than us, probably between fourteen to sixteen, she had her walnut brown hair in a bun that kept hair from coming on her face, she was wearing a loose white shirt that was neatly tucked in her baggy grey trouser.

She turned toward us removing her huge binoculars revealing her spruce grey and puzzled eyes "Who are you?" she said in a slightly deep voice "And what are you doing here?"

"Uhh.. I-I-I am Kyrah-Kyrah Wilson" I stuttered.

"I am Toivo Rospher," Toivo replied.

"Galena, Galena Mikellar" Galena answered.

She looked as if expecting some more answers "And?"

"And..." I muttered, trying to understand what else she was asking.

"Ms. Crimsond gave us the key to your room, you are the slave, right?" Galena replied.

"Yeah and no" she stepped forward "I am Iris, that's my name even though nobody calls me that but how do you know all that?"

"She asked us to clean the house," Toivo answered.

"And why exactly?"

"Because.." I slightly shrugged "We are slaves, right?"

"Once again, yes and no" She replied, walking back towards the window.

"And shall we know, why?" Toivo asked as we followed her.

"Because I won't be slave anymore soon" She said jumping back into the room

"What do you mean by that?" Galena asked as we entered the room again.

"Because, I am planning an escape" she put on the spectacles that lay on top of the side table.

"How?" We asked in unison.

"Well I can't say that but if you ask why? It's because the nice old days of the Mikellar are going to come soon and I would want to be stuck over here, like a scaredy cat, not helping in making that happen" her eyes suddenly squeezed looking at us curiously "Wait-" she said, sprinting towards the drawers and taking out three posters.

"It can't be! It can't be!" She looked up at our faces and back down onto the paper "Wa-What were your-names again?" She trembled.

"Uhh.. Toivo Rospher" Toivo replied.

"Galena, Galena Mikellar" Galena answered.

"Kyrah Wilson" I said, bewildered.

"Holy-, This can't be real!" but out of a sudden, her voice faltered "But- What are you all doing here?"

"It is just that, trouble is not seeming to sweep out of our tails," Toivo replied.

She looked at us puzzled, as if trying to understand what in the world was happening.

"You need an explanation, right?" Galena asked.

She nodded and after over 5 minutes of Galena and us explaining her everything, her once bewildered face was now finally gone.

"So, you are basically saying you have not even completed half of the quest?" She asked.

"Well, as Toivo had said, since we have started the quest or since I have come 'trouble doesn't seem to sweep out of our tails' " I replied.

"So, what are you going to do next?" She questioned.

"Get out of here, certainly" I replied.

"And how are you all exactly going to do that?" She asked curiously.

"Uhh..." We looked at each other.

"Could I be in the team? As a Companion?" She questioned "I can help".

"Umm... Give us some time" I said, turning to look at Galena and Toivo.

"What do you all think?" I whispered.

"She seems trustworthy," Toivo replied.

"She does hold something, something that says we should," Galena answered.

I nodded and turned back towards her "You are in" I smiled.