156 | Who to Trust

Start from the beginning

     "Relax, it's not like she's going to eat you," Max says, finishing his iced coffee before throwing it in the bin. "If we need answers, she's our best bet. And besides, I only have five days to finish all these tasks, and there are three of them. If we can get the extra help, then that's better."

     Keigo doesn't say anything anymore and just follows Max to a room at the end of the hallway. When they got there, Max takes a deep breath and was about to enter the room when someone suddenly coughed behind them. Max and Keigo immediately turned around to see who it was, and to their surprise, it was Max's dear friend, Felix Campbell.

     "I knew it. You're with Kawanishi Keigo. I did see it right," Felix says as he approaches the two.

     "Felix, I know this might look strange but—"

     "You don't have to explain yourself. I know that it's about the invitation so don't say anything unnecessary that will end up ruining your chances of getting to that banquet," Felix tells Max before looking at Keigo. "And you...I've been keeping my eyes on you for a while now, Mr. Kawanishi Keigo."

     "W-What's going on? Why are you here?" Keigo confusingly asks, surprised that Felix was even there in the first place.

     Felix doesn't answer him and approaches him instead. He then grabs Keigo's necktie and pulls him down so their faces could level with each other. "So, are you still visiting your father, or are you still mad that he used you as an escape plan so he wouldn't get arrested."

     Keigo's eyes widened from shock. He tries to push Felix off him, but surprisingly enough, despite Felix's small structure, he was strong. After all, Felix is still a brotherhood member.

     "You've got a tainted background Kawanishi. I don't know why you're helping Max on this, and I don't really care, but if you try anything funny, or if you lay a single hand on him, your secrets won't be the only thing you'll run away from," Felix warns, and Keigo gulps in terror as Felix finally lets him go.

     "You want to talk to Siren right?" Felix then asks as he looks back at Max with a serious expression.

     Max still isn't used to this version of Felix, but he doesn't comment on it and nods his head anyway. "Yes. I need her help right now."

     "She's inside," Felix says as he opens the door for him. Max thanks him and heads inside first. Keigo was about to follow, but then Felix stops him and immediately closes the door.

     "What the hell man? What gives you the right to do that?" Keigo complains.

     Felix smirks and pulls something out of his pocket so he could pin it to his collar. Keigo was confused for a second because he thought it was some kind of underling brooch, but when he looked closer, his eyes automatically widened from shock.

     "Fuck."

      Meanwhile, Max enters the dark room. It was utterly silent like the last time he went there, and the only light that could be found was the spotlights on top of the seven chairs in the middle of the room.

     "This is quite nostalgic," Max says, turning around so he could face a tall figure who was actually standing behind him holding her famous cane. "Siren," Max greets, bowing to the masked marquis.

     Siren nods her head to acknowledge Max's greeting. "It's a pleasure to have you here, my tamer, but I'm assuming that you're not here to simply chat," she says, her voice sweet and relaxing as always.

     "That's right. I'm here to ask for your help," Max says straight to the point, not wasting any second.

     "A favor?" Siren repeats, pausing for a couple of seconds before saying, "As you are the only white uniform who has my crown brooch pinned on your collar, a favor is something I can easily grant you. But first, I need to know what this favor is for."