It's part of the natural order, if she doesn't have any she probably doesn't want her magic back.

I'll try.

She found the coffins. They were in the old witch's house and as much as she wanted to tell Klaus, she made herself a promise, that she wouldn't. If he wanted to be the villain, she was prepared to be petty in return.

It was absurd, she knew that. She was being petty and she was far too old for that.

She just hoped Klaus would apologise before tomorrow. Because it was her 21st after all...

~*~

Esme answered her phone the next day to hear Caroline's voice. "Are you free?" she asked.

"At the moment?" Esme pretended to think. "Yer, I think so, why?"

"Can you come to The Grill, then, me and Bonnie need a therapy session" she teased.

Esme smiled. "Yer, course, see you soon," she said before hanging up.

Caroline was a terrible liar. That morning she had seen a book in, for a party. And from what she had seen, Caroline loved planning parties. At least, her 21st would be fabulous.

As she pulled up to The Grill, she could hear the slight ruble of music. A smile was plastered across her face as she pulled the door open. "Suprise!" everyone screamed, glitter, ribbons and confetti fell through the air, making her laugh.

Caroline ran over to her, buzzing with excitement. "What do you think?" she asked, pulling her in for a tight hug. "I know, you didn't ask for a party, but I love planning parties okay!" she exclaimed.

Esme laughed, a gleeful smile on her face. "Thank you, so much, this looks amazing," she said and she truly meant it.

"I told her, it was too much," Bonnie said, appearing next to the two of them. "Happy birthday, she said, with a beaming smile.

"Is this what you do in Mystic Falls?" she asked, raising an eyebrow.

"This is what Caroline does," Bonnie said.

"Hey!" Caroline exclaimed, outraged.

"Please, tell me there's an open bar" she laughed.

"Yes!" CAroline cheered, clapping her hands. "First legal drink!" she squealed.

"Oh, I've got to see this" Damon said, appearing next to her and laying a hand on her shoulder but Esme shrugged her off. "Ouch," he tutted.

Esme ignored him, grabbing Caroline and Bonnie's hands, and dragging them over to the bar. She smiled, seeing a bartender she had worked with a few times. "Vodka, please," she asked, with a smile.

The bartender smiled, pouring her a glass of vodka and sliding it across the bar. "I've been waiting for this day," she said, making Esme laugh as she picked up the glass.

"I know you have" she chuckled. A cheer erupted, through the bar, as she lifted the glass through her lips. She smiled, throwing the drink back, as everyone cheered. The burning alcohol ran down her throat, making her smile.

"Where did all these people come from?" Esme asked, realising there were at least fifty people in the bar, who she didn't even know.

"They're people who like to party" Damon declared, shaking his hips.

"Why are you here?" she asked, raising an eyebrow at him.

"I like a party," he said, giving her a wink.

"Right" Esme muttered, grabbing another drink and having a sip. "Is that why, Elena made out with you?" she asked, walking off, with a smirk.

Her brain itched to message, Klaus, but she was holding her ground, she was persistent.

~*~

Esme had no idea, who were half the people she spent the night partying with. She had to admit, after a few drinks, everything tastes better and every song echoing through The Grill sounded amazing. Not to mention, Damon was actually funny for once.

She knew, being able to drink legally would reign her in, for once. After all, once you can have something, you don't want it anymore.

By the time the party ended, Caroline took her home, worried she would pass out after she drank way too much. Esme managed to talk her into leaving.

As always, she made stupid decisions when drunk but this time, she wasn't the one crashing the party.

A knock came at the door, as she staggered over, to the door. Her heart raced a thousand times, the second when she saw Klaus' gleaming face.

"Hello, Esme" he declared, digging his hands into his pockets.

"I'm not talking to you" she slurred, going to shut the door in his face.

"Esme, please" Klaus practically begged. She rolled her eyes but before the door clicked he finally cracked. "I won't hurt them!" he called after her. She stopped, letting the door creak back open. "If that's what you want, I'll leave Caroline and Bonnie alone" he vowed.

"You mean it?" she asked, her head falling against the doorframe.

"Yes," he said, without hesitating, for a moment. "If you will it, I will do it" he swore.

"Fine" she murmured. Without thinking, she said two fateful words. "Come in," she said, letting go of the door and staggering over to the sofa.

"You're drunk" Klaus realised, standing next to her, examining her.

"It's my birthday" she declared, looking at him expectingly. She wanted him to say all the right things. "My first legal drink. Cheers," she sighed. Her headache was starting to kick in.

"Happy birthday" he declared.

Her eyes fixed on his, as she sighed again. "Why do you keep on coming back?" she asked. "Were a bad idea Klaus" she declared, her rationality fogged with liquor. "Everything about this is reckless," she said, motioning between the two of them.

He finally sat down next to her, letting his knee brush against hers, for a moment. "I like you," he said simply, a smile blooming his lips at the thought. "I like the way your mind works, I like the way you can find hope."

She laughed a little under her breath. "The big bad wolf isn't so bad" she giggled. He was her happiness, after all. He made her feel alive, he made her feel, that life was worth living.

He laid a hand on her knee. "You make me feel human," he told her, watching the way her eyes curled when she smiled. "You show me, that life is worth living. That's why I keep coming back" he said, beaming at her. He found himself, unable to tear his eyes away from her.

She smiled, her head falling against his shoulder, her eyes flickering closed as her drunken state began to overwhelm her. "Stop making me forgive you" she muttered, burying her head deeper in his shoulder.

"I'm too charming for that" he teased, making Esme laugh as she buried herself deeper into him, her arms falling onto his chest.

"If we ..." she trailed off, her words still lost within her drunken haze "... we carry on doing this, no one can know" she declared. And she meant it more than anything. "I'm not letting everything, cave in for you" she expressed.

He smiled. He wanted the world to know, that she was his. But if she didn't want that, then that was okay. He was addicted to her and would do anything to make her happy.

His arm wrapped around her hip, as he heard his heartbeat begin to slow, as the alcohol in her system took over. "Goodnight, love" he whispered as her eyes closed and her heartbeat slowed, in her arms.