Chapter 12

Chapter Twelve

Homecoming

Klaus and Esme, returned to Gloria's bar, the next night.

"Get me and this gorgeous lady a sex on the beach" Klaus compelled the bartender who nodded. He turned back to Esme and guided her to the boof they had been in, only the night before.

"How did you know, that I liked sex on the beach?" she asked him, with a pointed glare.

"I observe," he said elusively as their sex on the beaches arrived. "I told you my history, you tell me, yours" he declared, leaning back in the boof. "Can't be any worse than mine."

She laughed giving him a soft smile.

She didn't talk about her past. But perhaps it was time she did. She was constantly telling other people they had to open up more, there was a time for her to practise what she preached.

"I'm gonna need a drink for this" she chuckled, grabbing her glass and drinking half of it in one go.

Klaus was already invested in her tale and she hadn't even said anything yet.

"My mother was a witch. She was known for her ability to heal with as little as a leaf or a flower. She knew how to make healing potions from the most simple things in nature. It was her skill. She boiled things down to the basics. She never knew her family" she explained, her vice turning bitter, at the memory.

"Unfortunately, my family has a bit of a cancer gene. It took her out when I was only twelve" she admitted. Her mind was numb to the pain of it, after all these years.

"I'm sorry," he said, trying to comfort her.

"I don't need your apologies" she muttered, shaking her head. "I never really knew my grandmother either, cancer took her out when I was six," she told him. "No matter how hard, they tried to help them, they died anyway. Like everyone else."

Klaus let his fingers, tangle with hers and Esme's soul felt settled for a moment.

"My father faded away after my mother died, he was like a living corpse. I became closer to my grandfather and he was my father I suppose. My father was found dead only three years after my mother died. He poisoned himself, without thinking of the consequences" she confessed to him.

A frown, curled over her face. She hated him, for what he left her with. He was the architect of her downfall in the end.

"His absence killed me. I felt like, my whole family hated me and were dying to spite me so I shut all the pain out ... I turned to magic to cope and ... I took it too far" she paused for a moment, trying to figure out how to tell the tale.

"I made a mistake. I helped a vampire. It nearly killed my grandfather and me. I almost finished us off because I trusted a bloody vampire. I didn't practice after that" she declared, sliding down in her seat.

Klaus didn't say a word, he just stared at her.

"I came to Mystic Falls after my grandfather found out, he had cancer as well" she choked back tears.

Klaus let her head fall onto his shoulder. "I would have never gone to that town, hadn't it been for making him happy. " his hand slowly curled around her waist. "He did die happy" she murmured to herself. After a minute, she turned to look at Klaus. "That's the story" she declared, simple.

Klaus didn't reply, holding her hand tighter. "You're scared it's going to happen to you," he decared, speaking her mind.

"I'm not scared," she said, with a small laugh falling through her lips. "I just have a feeling that history's going to repeat itself" she admitted. "And I'm not going to see it."