Chapter 4

Chapter Four

He's Dead Isn't He

She felt herself drifting back to consciousness, drifting awake, her eyes opening to the blinding lights above her. After a few moments, she knew where she was. She could hear the beeping around her and she knew, she was in a hospital.

Someone gently took her hand and she rolled over to see Bonnie sitting next to her, giving her a downcast smile.

In a few moments, it all flooded back to her, as tears welled in her eyes. "He's dead, isn't he" she croaked out.

Hesitantly, Bonnie nodded, holding her hand even tighter. "I'm so sorry," she told her, and Esme believed her completely.

She pulled herself up, on the bed, her head falling into her hands. "I have no idea what to do" she muttered.

Bonnie watched her for a moment before finally breaking her silence. "It's hard," she said, holding her hand again. "And it feels ... terrible. And then it doesn't" she explained. She could see the pain in her eyes and didn't waste a second, hugging her back.

"Thank you, so much, Bonnie" she whispered, praying she would never have to let go. She had never felt safer, in her life.

~*~

Esme, got discharged from the hospital, that evening and Bonnie went home to get a few things, so they could have, 'the movie night of a lifetime', as Bonnie called it.

She was worried, to say the least. For the first time in years, she felt something other than love and she hated it. The pain was so unnatural to her, she had spent so many years, avoiding the death of her parents. And now she was being forced to face it, all at once.

Bonnie came into the room, carrying a box of popcorn and a pile of blankets. "I'm prepared," she said, chucking the blankets into the sofa.

She pulled them over her lap. "I can't believe you're making me do this" she grumbled.

"You need to be distracted," Bonnie told her, heading over to the kitchen. "Trust me, it works" she promised.

"What are we watching then?" she asked, filing through, the pile of DVDs stacked, up under her TV.

"Not Twilight!" Bonnie yelled.

No, no Twilight" she said, shaking her head. "I hate that film."

"Finally, thank God" Bonnie sighed in relief. She came back into the room, carrying a bowl of Popcorn, with a smile on her face.

She sighed, grabbing a DVD. "I can't be asked anymore, Harry Potter" she declared.

"You want to watch Harry Potter?" Bonnie asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Right" she sighed, chuckling the film back. "Titanic, it is."

"Titanic" Bonnie agreed.

The two of them watched the Titanic twice until they fell asleep on the sofa.

Esme wasn't sure how she was going to survive, she was still in denial after all. She wanted, to feel better and now she had hope that Bonnie would be able to help her through it.

For once, she felt like she had found someone, who would never leave. A true friend. She was already helping her through, what could be one of the most difficult times in her life.

Bonnie was there for her.

~*~

Esme got a week's leave, from The Grill but she knew it wouldn't be enough.