Epilogue

Rhyn sat on Omaha Beach at Normandy staring out over the English Channel. He wondered if his great-gradnfather had ever thought about what would happen to his family eighty years in the future. A man who selflessly enlisted to protect his nation and family, would he understand the world now?

After postponing his trip for a week, Rhyn met with Dr. Stern's friend. Eliza Dooley wore a bright smile. For a moment, Rhyn thought if she wore that with all the people she potentially sighed. He knew she didn't by the way she spoke about his work. He got the feeling she was more excited than he was.

He took the contract for his dad to look over, and when he was satisfied he wasn't getting played, he sighed and sent it back in. It would take some time for the paperwork to be satisfied so he left on his trip.

Rhyn watched a family walk along the beach. It was illgal to use metal detectors so their young son was digging enthusiastically in the sand. He was hoping to find any kind of artifact. Rhyn hiped he could keep it, but he was unsure of Normandys laws on the matter.

"Here." He looked up at the cup that hovered before him. Following the arm, he looked up into Myles's face. "Our car is here and will be leaving soon."

Myles had surprised him by being on the plane. He'd gathered his passport and clothes from his father's. He'd talked to Rhys before he'd gotten on the plane. Their relationship was better than it had been. Rhys had talked to Myles soon after the fight, and they'd eased their tensions with each other.

The same could be said for Rhyn and Rhys. They'd talked before finals about everything. It had taken a little over a month because they'd been busy, but also Rhyn hadn't been ready. He'd needed time alone and to talk to Myles before he could talk with his brother. Now that everything had been hashed out, they were closer than ever.

Myles waited patiently for him to stand up. He handed him the cup then took his hand. Rhyn cast one last look at the tranquil waters where nearly a century ago millions of men stormed the beach on that June morning.

He let Myles lead him back to the main road. A part of him was still amazed at the man walking in front of him. If someone had asked him a year ago what he'd be doing now, he would have said he'd be alone on this trip. Never would he have thought that his partner would accompany him.

But Rhyn was happy he had. Now he couldn't see himself without Myles accompanying him. They'd only been in France for thirty-six hours, and it had already been fun. He could only imagine what the next two weeks were going to be like. Myles had been to Europe before so he was showing his favorite things. What else was there?

They walked to the car waiting for them. Myles let him in first then slid in beside him. His hand went directly to Rhyn's knee. Ever science he'd started staying with Rhyn, he had to be touching him. It didn't matter where they were or what they were doing. Myles was touching Rhyn in some shape or form.

Leyana and Arthur treated Myles like a fourth son. There was always a place set for him at the dinner table, and he was welcome for movie nights with Rhys and Rhyd. He even started cooking one night a week. They hadn't given him a key yet since he was always with Rhyn anyway, but he was always there.

"What are you thinking about?" Myles asked.

Rhyn looked at him and smiled. "A lot of things. Everything that has happened really."

"Good thoughts or bad thoughts?"

"A mixture of both. One can't be without the other though." He took Myles's hand and squeezed it tightly. "But I'm glad you're here. I'm glad you snuck onboard. It was definitely a pleasant surprise."

"Rhys said you were traveling alone. I wondered why you never told me then just decided to tag along. I could show you my favorite places, and we can make our own favorite places as well as memories."

Rhyn smiled and leaned his forehead against his shoulder. He kissed him multiple times then rested his cheek where his forehead had been. Myles tilted his head to rest it atop his. They rode in silence for a while, but it was enjoyable.

"Myles?" Rhyn whispered.

"Hmm?" Myles muttered.

"There is one thing I'm happy about."

"What is that?"

Rhyn lifted his head and pressed his mouth to the outside of his ear. "I'm happy I don't have to sleep alone."

Myles laughed, deep and happy. "Were you worried about that?"

"Well, yeah. You've been sleeping in my bed for the last two months. I got used to it."

"Next time you'll invite me so I don't have to invite myself."

This time it was Rhyn who laughed. "You say that like you won't be planning the whole trip next time."

Throughout all of this, Rhyn was glad the decision to befriend Myles. Yes, a lot had happened between them, but they were stronger for it. Rhyn had learned that not everyone was an asshole. Myles was good to him, and he was grateful for it.

The car ride into Carentan was enjoyable. They would spend a day or two more in the town before going into Paris. Myles wanted to show Rhyn the world, but what he didn't know was that he was Rhyn's world. He would go with him anywhere. But Rhyn wanted to visit several WWII sites. They were somehow going to have to compromise.

Rhyn didn't mind because he was going to make the best of it. After all, loving Myles had been his best decision yet.

THE END