Chapter 14

Rhys hadn't seen Rhyn in a couple of days. He hadn't come home the night his car had gone into the shop. Since then, their paths hadn't crossed.

It was unusual because Rhyn was a homebody. He didn't have many friends and if he worked on grouped projects, he worked alone. Rhyn spent most of his time in his room writing so for him to be gone all the time was weird.

Rhys sat in the living room finishing up homework when Rhyn walked in the front door. He didn't pay his brother any attention as he went into the kitchen. Rhys watched him walk upstairs after that. He was for such a long time that Rhys thought he wasn't coming back down.

He heard Rhyn's voice at the top of the stairs. Rhys looked up as his brother came down the steps talking on the phone. He frowned because he had never seen Rhyn call anyone of his own accord before. His tone was also gentle which he had never, ever heard.

Rhyn sat down in the recliner, drawing his feet up on the footrest. He lifted his head to say hey to Rhys but kept up with his conversation. Rhys wondered who he was talking to and how they had tamed his brother. As far as he knew, Rhyn had never had a serious girlfriend. Could he be talking to a girl?

Rhyn ended the call then took another one. This one was a little more serious. It was about his car. It was finished, so he would need to pick it up soon.

"Are you busy tomorrow morning?" he asked.

Rhys checked his schedule then shook his head. "I don't have class until twelve."

"Can you drop me off to get my car? It's ready."

"Why don't you get your girlfriend to take you?" His tone was sharper than he intended.

Rhyn looked at him, confusion written on his face. "What are you talking about?"

Rhys pointed at his phone. "Whoever you were on the phone with can take you."

His brother looked at his phone then sighed. "Alright. You don't have to. I'll find another way."

Realizing his plan had backfired, Rhys followed Rhyn to the kitchen. It was his night to make dinner, and Rhyn usually made a soup and sandwich combo. He was a good cook, and food was his love language. What he couldn't say with words he said with food.

Rhys watched his brother begin cooking. He watched him carefully, trying to figure out what was going on with him. Usually Rhyn talked to him, but over the last couple of days he hadn't seen him. Rhyn was busy with school and his literature club, but he was usually at home. He rarely ever went out alone, opting to stay home and be a recluse.

But looking at him now, Rhys could see a difference. Rhyn wasn't the same. He held his head a little higher, and he seemed more sure of himself. What had happened in the last couple of days to make him change?

He looked Rhyn over, watching the way he moved. He moved as if he was unafraid of anything anymore. It was new to Rhys because for as long as he could remember, Rhyn had always taken a backseat to him and Rhyd. Now, it felt like he had finally figured out who he was.

When Rhyn turned, he saw a familiar emblem on the black shorts he was wearing. Myles had an exact pair like those he usually practiced in. They were an expensive brand, and Rhyn didn't usually spend too much money on clothes.

He didn't get a chance to ask as the doorbell rang. He went to answer it, smiling at Myles and Ryan as they came through. They were having another game night since their regular season officially kicked off this weekend. It would be one of the only ones they could plan without having to wait until midnight.