Chapter 3

Rhys was going to kill him. It was his turn to cook, and he always made tacos. They were a family favorite, and if you were late to dinner, you usually didn't eat. Except their mother. They always saved some for her.

He fumbled with his keys as he got out of his car. He'd been a little scatterbrained today. He still had a headache, his stomach was tender, and he thought he had a fever. It wasn't a high fever, but it was enough to make him clammy.

He made it in the house, smelling dinner already going. He wanted to shower and change clothes before he ate. He was very uncomfortable. He'd trekked across campus for classes then to his kickboxing class before going to swim. He shouldn't have done both of those activities, but he didn't want to mess up his schedule.

Rhyd was in his room across the hall with both computers firing on all cylinders. Out of the three of them, he was the smartest. He was studying engineering and was second in his class. He had a good-natured rivalry with the number one student, and they always tried to one up each other. He was in the process of designing a stronger material to build bridges and buildings.

He glanced back as Rhyn walked by. Usually, Rhyn greeted his younger brother, but he went straight to his room. He forgot to shut the door so he turned around to see Rhyd standing there. His grey eyes were frowning along with his mouth.

"What's wrong?" he asked. Rhyn sighed and turned his back to him. Rhyd wasn't having it, so he crossed the room and turned him around. "Rhyn, what is it? You don't look well."

"I don't feel well," Rhyn admitted. "I have a migraine."

"Are you nauseated?" His brother nodded. Rhyd's frown deepened. Rhyn was the healthiest of the three. "I'll go tell Rhys to make you some soup or something instead of tacos."

"Thanks."

Rhyd left him, and Rhyn stripped out of his clothes. He ran a warm shower and stood silently under the spray. He felt the tension leave his neck, easing his migraine a bit. His body still ached, but the clamminess was slowly disappearing.

He washed everything then got out of the shower. He really just wanted to go to bed, but dinner was a non-negotiable event. Even if their parents were working late, the triplets had to eat together. It had been set in place when their father had gotten an extravagant promotion when they'd been ten. A babysitter had helped them cook but they'd always eaten together. Except when someone was very sick.

Rhyn dried off and pulled on some shorts and a tattered t-shirt. He would take it off before going to bed, but until then he would wear it to hide his skin. There were several deep hickies all over his chest and shoulders. He didn't want his brothers to make fun of him. Worse yet, he didn't want to answer their neverending questions.

He lay on his bed for a few minutes. Despite the shower, he still felt feverish. All the pain relievers were downstairs. He'd have to go into the kitchen anyway. He'd eat something, take some medicine, then go to bed. He usually studied until the wee hours of the morning, but he knew he couldn't do it.

He heard Rhys call him for dinner. Dragging himself from his comfortable bed, Rhyn trudged downstairs. He stumbled a couple of times, but he somehow made it. Rhyd was already delving into the food.

He made eye contact with Rhys. His older brother had the same look as his younger brother. Neither one had seen him sick except they'd all had chicken pox when they were five and the flu at fifteen. He usually only had headaches, but he rarely ran a fever.

Rhys slid him a bowl of tomato soup and some butter crackers. Rhyn smiled slightly then picked up the bowl. He sat down at his spot and sighed heavily.