Chapter 16

Rhyn stood at the jewelry counter, looking over the necklaces as Ryan talked to the consultant.they'd been looking for an hour, and Ryan was no closer to picking his mother's present than when he'd asked him to come.

It had been a couple of years since Rhyn had seen Elena Cabrera. Yes, Ryan had the same name as a singer. He'd gotten hell for it growing up. Rhys had been the only one who hadn't cared. It was why they had gotten along. Rhys didn't judge too much, not about things like that anyway.

If he remembered correctly, Elena liked butterflies. They had gone on a senior picnic, and she had been a chaperone. A butterfly had landed on the blanket. She had picked it up gently, looking at it in fascination. It had flown away soon after. Rhyn remembered her face even now. She had been content.

Rhyn walked to the corner of the display case. It was November, and the birthstone for November was topaz. He looked over the case diligently until he found a pendant he liked. Naturally, it was a butterfly, and it was encrusted with topaz and onyx.

He called the jeweler to open the case. Ryan ambled over as the necklace was removed. He looked at it as if he were an expert. Rhyn rolled his eyes because he knew Ryan had no idea what he was looking at. Most guys didn't unless they were either a geologist or a jeweler.

"It's a monarch butterfly," Rhyn explained.

Ryan's nose reddened. "You knew what I was thinking, huh?"

"It's not that difficult."

After asking the price, Ryan paid for the necklace. Rhyn waited by the farthest case, perusing the rings. He found a pair, a set made for a couple, and thought it'd look good. It was a simple design with vines and leaves engraved in silver.

For a brief moment, he wondered what it would look like on Myles left hand. He shook the thought away. He knew it was too good to be true. Nothing would come of these thoughts. They were just friends with benefits until he figured out his feelings.

A hand landed on his shoulder. He turned to look at Ryan who smiled softly at him. He knew that smile was meant to ease him, but Rhyn knew the feelings behind it. He would never be able to reciprocate them, and that made him feel worse about agreeing to go with him.

Ryan led the way to the food court. He went to a Chinese restaurant and ordered lo mein for himself and honey chicken for Rhyn. He refused to let Rhyn pay for his meal so the guest went to find a seat.

He was glad it was a weekday. If Ryan had asked him to come on the weekend, he would have refused. The mall was always crowded on the weekends. Rhyn hated crowds so he always came early in the morning or right before closing.

Ryan sat down with their plates and silverware. He slid a bottle of water across the table then dug into his food. Rhyn was a little more sedate about his food, but he enjoyed it nonetheless.

His phone chimed, and Rhyn pulled it out. Myles had texted him something mundane while in class. Rhyn scolded him then put his phone on silent. He set it face down on the table and continued to eat.

Ryan watched Rhyn for a long while. He'd changed. He wasn't as closed off as he'd been. He was still very stubborn, but he had become more easy-going. He was willing to do more things instead of staying locked in his room. The knowledge made Ryan feel like he was trying too hard.

He reached across the table and grazed his fingers across Rhyn's hand. The other man jumped and pulled it back. He looked at Ryan for a minute before looking away again. Ryan understood as soon as it happened what it meant.