Chapter 16

School was of course hard. As I had mentioned before I was still behind. Being at the academy meant that I was in a small room with a bunch of teenage watchers who hated my guts, in a building where everyone also hates my guts. Which I understand is still a problem but there we didn't have anywhere else to go so when I mean everyone I mean, everyone. It wasn't all bad being with Rene meant that I at least had someone to talk to but I did feel bad when she was brought down with me though. The classes were somewhat useful, that's when I learnt enderian which has obviously been taken off the curriculum. Though we weren't actually taught English since we were all raised on galactic, which meant the first few years I spent just trying to learn the language and it took me longer than that just to know a few lines. Which meant I avoided talking too much at first.

Apart from that many of the classes were still the same as they are now: magic, galactic, flying, swordsmanship. Though I didn't understand the last one in our small community. I would also still occasionally go visit my father, he was actually the one who gave me the pumpkin charm. As I mentioned earlier back on the main island He was the one who taught me how to go invisible and with a bit of watcher magic mixed in, I was able to make it so I was invisible to the naked eye as well as being invisible while others were in watcher vision.

There was one person, in particular, the typical teacher's pet type. Xynis Syrucus was also one of the more powerful in her year. I heard you know... one of her relatives Mirinn, who I heard might be more involved in this than others. And it wouldn't surprise me knowing Xynis that someone related to her would cause so much ⌇⊑⟟⏁. I didn't do too well in classes because of the lack of enthusiasm to teach me so more often than not I taught myself. We also didn't have access to as much knowledge as schools do these days being so separate and having nothing nearby.

There was a library available to all students and luckily the librarian was on the list of watchers who didn't see me as a nuisance. Yet being such a small community the library was more like a room with only a shelf worth of books spread out and all those books were written by the community. Which meant that I was able to read all of them in a few weeks. Though combined with what I could learn in class and what had been written down it laid down the basis for me to make spells.

An example is the freezing time spell there wasn't one of those for us to learn so I created my own with a mix of a petrifying spell and surprisingly a weather spell which is why if you look the way I cast the spell it combines the motions of changing the world's weather with the flick of the petrifying spell. That spell was one of the more complicated ones that took me a few months of finessing. Of course, I had Rene there with me though she preferred combat over magic, which meant after I created a shapeshifting spell we may or may not have done each other's exams, which helped with them being one by one.

Over the first four years of school, I created many spells which I wrote down in books over the years, after I had filled one I created another one that was neater and left them on the altar to pretend they were a gift from whoever gave the watchers and admins their powers. I did leave out a few that were a bit more fun and I kept the books they were in, in my pocket realm. Rene knew that it was me and it was always amusing watching the teachers who told me that I was a mistake, praising and learning spells I made instead of listening to them. My shelf is about half full of books that I wrote and I still am writing more now.

Rene and I always had each other's backs and we were best friends for the first two years of school until we entered the third and became something more. We became partners which are similar to now, since the way children were formed as a form of power could happen no matter what gender, or lack of gender, the parents were. It didn't change much in our relationship except a few more affectionate gestures and words but it was something we both treasured.

I did help make a few things easier in coding for the admins but I was always more intrigued by magic. Yet because I was distracted by creating spells I missed a lot of signs of what was stirring on both sides. When some of the leaders of both sides asked me questions about the other side I didn't realise why they were asking. One of the admin leaders asked about what I was learning and I included sword fighting. I remember him asking me more about it and I said we weren't told why we were learning it. Another admin saw me working on some spells which just happened to be a variant of the fireball spell which just added to the ripples. On the watcher side, I then started to get asked about what the admins were doing at the time, and at the time they were making offensive mobs so that's what I said. That took place in my penultimate year.

At the start of my final one was taken out of class and taken to a cliff over the void. It was a place I knew had accidentally caused the deaths of both admins and watchers, and watchers couldn't fly there and admins couldn't teleport. I was being sentenced to death for being part admin, the war had started in the community. I did get one last moment with Rene where I gave her a jar with a small enough power so if she chose to she could have a child, I did learn later she did have one. They petrified my wings and pushed me off the island.

When I fell into a void I got hurt, scared as you can see but I didn't die like everyone else, not that the watchers above knew or would ever know...

WC~ 1102