Chapter 7

"Raise your sword!" A voice called out in galactic from next to the stage.

The command wasn't for Grian, or Xelqua which is the name he was trying to get used to, it was for his opponent. It was one of the other people in the class who Xelqua didn't know that well but he thought her name was Jade. It was about halfway through their first year, Xelqua and Zyrex hadn't really made friends with too many of the other people in their year. It's not that they didn't try. They did try for the first few weeks but most of the classmates liked Mirinn and swarmed to follow him. Xelqua didn't find the classes too bad if he was being honest, he was one of the first to pick up galactic and to get the first spell done when they practised magic. Mirinn was actually quite good as well and was Professor Wvoll's favourite student but Xelqua also was the favourite student of a fair few of the professors. That made Mirinn hate him even more. Right now they were in the midst of one of the training battles they did, Xelqua found that Zyrex was really good at combat with weapons as well as hand to hand, he was one of the best, if not the best, in the class. He found it much easier than spells and he really had a knack for it. They had recently moved on to using metal swords so not too far off was a medic since they had already had 23 injuries so far, none needed more than simple healing magic, but you could never be sure. It didn't take long for Xelqua to disarm his opponent; he always tried his best not to hurt the others. Mirinn was up next against one of their classmates. He wasn't the best but he was ruthless and he was the reason that the 23 injuries had occurred. Now 24 by the looks of the battle happening in front of him. It was over quickly enough with Mirinn's opponent throwing in the towel after blood was drawn. Zyrex was next and his battle was faster than Mirinn's since he was very swift with his movements and could quickly get the upper hand then he got them into a position where they had to yield and it was the same way again. "Good job Zyrex," he said.

"You weren't so bad yourself," Zyrex said back to his roommate.

They both had survived their classes so far but they hadn't seen anywhere outside of the school grounds. They never went to visit any of the big cities in the Main World or even some of the smaller ones which Xelqua thought was a bit suspicious but he never bothered asking any of the professors.

It was the end of the year at this point, all first years were lined up on the stage in the hall. Classrooms ᔑ&ʖ had gone first, they were getting their watcher forms which means that their stage was now filing up with purple feathers, the wings were smaller than any of the other years and they seemed too small to fly with but they were bigger than he thought they would be and maybe it wouldn't take too long for them to grow to a better size for flying. All of the previous two classes' wings were also all different sizes which he assumed meant something like power level, or maybe even age. He wasn't sure since he never actually interacted with any of the other classes, he wasn't even sure where most of their names were to the point when they were called out he didn't even know they were in his year. By the time they reached his class, he could see what was happening better. They seemed to close their eyes and think of something, for some it seemed to take a few seconds, others took longer. By the time it reached Mirinn Xelqua thought that his theory was all about the level of power since Mirinn wings' were the largest out of everyone so far and he was one of the top students. He also noticed how everyone's eyes were turning different shades of purple. He didn't think that this had anything to do with magic level or what age maybe just genetics from parents or a parent. It was finally Xelqua's turn to get his wings, Professor Wvoll stood in front of him and said, "You need to imagine your power core inside of you, feel it pulse and let it open,"

Xelqua wasn't sure why he told everyone one at a time but he assumed that there was a reason. He closed his eyes and started to trace his magic back to its core and he felt the presence of a glowing shining orb, it was pulsing with small whisps flying around it. He imagined himself with a key in his hand next to his pulsing orb of magic and he brought the key forwards to the orb and turned it and he felt a wave crash over him and he came back to where he was standing on the stage he felt wings open on his back and he felt a tingling sensation in his eyes. He turned to face his classmates Mirinn's face was filled with anger, it might have been in his head but he thought he heard a growl. He looked at his back and saw that his wings were slightly bigger but still bigger, than Mirinn's. He could see a flicking of anger on Professor Wvoll's face but Xelqua then turned to Zyrex who was next to him and he smiled. Wvoll then told Zyrex the same thing he told Xelqua and he closed his eyes. It was silent for the 10 seconds that passed but when Zyrex's eyes opened wings appeared behind his back they were slightly smaller than Xelqua but bigger than Mirinn's. The anger grew on Mirinn's face as he realised that both he and Zyrex had a larger magical core than him. After the ↸ class had finished it seemed that his class had the three biggest sets of wings with the biggest to smallest being Xelqua, Zyrex then Mirinn. Both Xelqua and Zyrex knew that their second year would be worse with Mirinn now seeing in darker shades of red.

WC~ 1065