• Take Us Back | Chapter Four •

Start from the beginning

The boy had now changed his attention to Clementine, adjusting his coat in his own Louis way of pride and smugness.

Louis: Damn right. They took that cart and hauled ass back to the school.

Emma: But you’re not there?

Louis: I needed to find you. Make sure you’re alright after… after everything that happened on the boat.

He let his eyes wander once more, but this time, he didn’t hide it. He brought his worried, glazed-over eyes to meet my own, taking a beat before pulling me into a hug. I immediately felt a painful twinge in the wound and groaned slightly, making Louis pull back, afraid.

Louis: Shit! I’m sorry, sorry, sorry.  I just… shit.

Emma: Louis, I’m fine.

Louis: Are you sure? I mean, you know what Minnie said. We’ve gotta get you to Ruby. She’ll know what to do, right? Like, there’s gotta be a way, you know? Just gotta–

Emma: Louis.

I put a hand on his shoulder, the others staring on grimly, remembering the fight that had already happened over this in the cave. Louis looked down at me with pure concern and I smiled, confidently, but not with a confidence that I felt.

Emma: I appreciate the worry, seriously, I do. But… we just need to get back to the school. And this goes for all of you: I might be dying, sure, but right now, we need to get back to safety and I’m gonna help you get there. So, let’s get going, alright?

The others stayed silent, but slowly agreed, Louis quickly recovering himself and getting back to his usual goofy, nonchalant tone.

Louis: It’s over, guys. The raiders are gone, and we got everyone out… alive. Ruby said Violet’s eyes aren’t infected, so that’s good too. They’ll be waiting for us back home.

Clementine: Any idea which way that is?

Louis: I haven’t been out here in a while, but I think there’s a bridge… that way. It’s the fastest way back.

Emma: Then that’s where we’re going.

I trod forwards, everyone else doing the same. Clementine stayed back with Tenn and AJ, leaving Louis to catch up with me. Maybe she thought he could raise my spirits, but it turns out he was just as forlorn as I.

Louis: I killed that woman. Back on the boat.

My eyes softened as I turned to my best friend, he looked down at his moving feet, a frown growing deeper and darker by the second.

Emma: You’ve… never had to do it before, have you?

Louis: No… never. It feels… like bile, but not quite, you know? Or like a scream that doesn’t know if it should or not.

Emma: As much as it feels sick right now, it’ll get easier to live with. I promise you that.

Louis: You know what? It’s fucked up, but I know it will. I’m just glad to know I have it in me, at all. Having a home means defending it.