Maknae's Loneliness

Start from the beginning

"Wooyoung, I want you to kneel down with your hands above your head. Seonghwa is going to keep an eye on you and make sure you don't attempt to get out of it or relax. When I call you, I want you to come downstairs immediately. Do you understand?"

Wooyoung jutted his jaw out stubbornly as though he was about to refuse. But he noticed Hongjoong's hand twitch as though he was thinking about reminding who the hyung was.

"Yes, hyung," Wooyoung finally muttered.

Hongjoong nodded. He waited for Wooyoung to kneel down in the corner, hands above his head again, before turning to go back to where Jongho waited in his shared bedroom, stopping first to grab something from his studio.

When Hongjoong entered the bedroom, quietly closing the door behind him, he was shocked to see the maknae was kneeling in the middle of the room, hands high above his head. Perspiration was already gathering upon his brow, as his exhausted arms trembled with the effort of holding them up for so long.
Hongjoong placed the item he had fetched from the studio down onto Jongho's bedside table, before sitting down on the bed. He stared at the youngest member thoughtfully, reflecting on all that had occurred both recently and in the past. Despite being very mature for his age and perhaps a little more emotionally distant than the other members were, he was someone who loved and needed to be loved. Perhaps it was just harder for him to express his feelings. People like San and Wooyoung expressed their love readily and without limit. They would give out hugs and kisses unconditionally, and ask for them in return if they needed to be comforted. Jongho however, was different. He couldn't easily ask for affection, and was awkward about giving it. But perhaps he did need that love and reassurance just as much, even if he pretended not to.

With this in mind, Hongjoong turned his attention to the kneeling maknae. "You can put your hands down, Jongho," he told him gently.

Jongho seemed to hesitate, before his arms fell limply to his side. "I am really sorry, hyung," he whispered. "I know I have been causing a very negative affect on the team lately. I know I have been acting really awful, and mean to my members. I will accept any punishment you give without any complaint."

His voice sounded so dejected and tired, that it almost broke Hongjoong's heart. It reinforced his desire to be the best leader he could be for his team. He reached out to Jongho.

"Come here, Jongho-ah."

Jongho rose to his unsteady feet, his legs aching with protest at having knelt for so long. He limped over to Hongjoong and stood at attention before him. Hongjoong grabbed his arm and pulled him closer.

"This is how we are going to do this okay." He hesitated as Jongho glanced up at him with his large sorrowful eyes. But this time, Hongjoong was determined to go through with it. "You are going to get the ruler across your palms and knuckles for laying your hands on your hyungs, okay?" When Jongho gave a small nod, he continued. "For your disrespectful behaviour, bullying Yeosang, putting the entire team at risk, and your overall unpleasant attitude, you are going to get the belt. But you won't be alone. Wooyoung is also going to be punished with you, for instigating a fight. Is that clear?"

"Yes, hyung," Jongho replied quietly.

"But I am going to give you a choice. If you are still feeling too sore from your punishment with Manager Ho, we can postpone it for a couple of days. I know I still feel mite too tender for comfort." He added the last bit in a light-hearted tone.

Jongho shook his head. "I am good, hyung. I would rather it now than have to wait."

Hongjoong nodded. "Okay, hold out your hands then, please."

For a moment, Jongho hesitated. He didn't want this. But at the same time, he wanted it all to be over. He wanted to forget everything and go back to playing around with his hyungs again. With this thought in mind, he slowly put out his hands, palms faced up.