Pondering

Your breathing was accelerated as you looked intently at the screen of your phone. Time was crawling lately, feeling like a locked up animal with all the pacing you did prior. The message on your screen was clear, your mind racing for the explanation behind all these recent events. Were they really necessary? You could only wonder for now. Your feet hit the wood of the floor steadily, the tapping of them echoing into the dark void you're trapped in. The moon had risen a long time ago, the other people laying in bed to rest. The white dog Bepo had peeked into the room many a times, whining softly before you petted it and shooed him away later. The two cats, Law and Kid, had been none the wiser of what you were doing, probably hiding for Loki and Levi. The two black cats had been running after the other two for most of the day, hissing and clawing them away from their humans. Your cold and clammy hand found your face as you rubbed your right cheek, your other arm hanging almost limp to your side.

The door creaked softly as you pulled it back, showing the dark corridor that was hidden behind. Only soft snores and the howling of the wind could be heard, an open window forgotten to be closed. With your breath hitching in your throat, you faced the dark you had known for quite a while now, it was almost comforting it was there. Loneliness was creeping into your very being, a hand caressing your skin softly before the cold fingers were wrapped around your wrist, tugging you into the shadows. Your mind was willing to come with it, walking towards the black like an obedient sheep.

With a quick shake of your head, you stowed the thoughts of how comforting the loneliness was becoming away and let your fingers find the switch for the lights somewhere along the wall. A quick snap could be heard and the lights sprung on, blinding you for a short while. There, in the middle of the corridor, sat a black cat. His head was tilted to the side, his green eyes observing you as you stood in the doorway, one hand still on the handle and the other lingering on the light-switch. "Hey there, Loki." You whispered, knowing he would hear it. His ears flickered shortly, before they were back focussed on you again, listening intently. Your knees buckled as you lowered your form to the ground, coming to a stop as your bare knees hit the floor. "Do you want some attention?"

Loki's ears flickered once more. The black cat stood, his paw ready to be placed in front of him to walk towards you. One step, another one. A door creaked somewhere ahead and Loki stopped, his head turning to look at the source of the sound that had disturbed him. With quick feet, he left you behind as he quickly turned the corner of the large house. A disappointed sigh escaped your lips before you moved back up and looked into the illuminated corridor. "Some water might differ my thoughts." You muttered, going towards the kitchen.

There, a spick-span kitchen waited on the ground floor. The white tiles were scrubbed, no speck of dirt left on them. Killer was quite the clean guy, you thought, once again, as your eyes roamed over the equipment stored on the counter. It was quite the contrast to what you were used to. 'Maybe if I'd date him.. No, stop that. He's still bad news. A gang-member. What am I even thinking?' Two voices were starting to quarrel as your body simply moved around, fingers roaming in search of a glass, before filling it up with the fresh liquid. In front of the sink was were your mind stopped running and came to a pause. Your phone was long forgotten as you had placed it on the kitchen counter before you were feeling around for a glass in the cabinet. The window in front of you was showing your reflection. Bags were showing under your eyes, the normal shine of them long gone. Your hair was dishevelled by how many times you ran your fingers through your strands. On your wrist was the band to keep your hair together, hugging your skin almost painfully. Angry red streaks accompanied the flush of your cheeks, no longer wet from crying. The small crescents, you knew were there somewhere, weren't visible all over your lower arms in the reflection. Slightly disgusted by yourself and how you were treating your health and body, you turned around, the glass rising to your reddened lips.

The water was fresh and a welcoming difference to the dry throat you had before. The strange, slimy feeling your mouth was slowly retreating, replaced by the freshness the water was providing you. Your lips were finally moist as you smacked them softly, the sound, as soft as it was, cut through the silence. "Stupid."

"Yes, indeed." You heard a gruff voice say, forcing your eyes to look up. In the doorway stood the owner of this house, his shirt hugging his chest tightly. The palm of his hand rubbed in his right eye, showing he had just woken up, probably because of you. "You should be asleep." He grumbled, walking towards you before reaching past you to grab a glass himself, filling it with water quickly.

"Can't."

"I said 'should'. Not that you are."

"Smarty pants." You chuckled sadly, forcing a smile. His gaze was focused on you before he turned around, his strides quick to take him to the edge of the room.

"Don't be so fake. It's ugly to look at." His footsteps faded as he walked away. His words hurt and your smile fell, your shoulder slumping as the weariness hit you like a brick.

"I know..." With a sigh, you threw away the left-over water in your glass and reached for your phone. Soft tapping could be heard as your fingers worked over the screen. Silently your finger hoovered over a button at last, contemplating whether to press it or not. A last look-over over the room, your eyes fell on a picture you had missed all the time you've been here. Blinking quietly, you walked over to it. The picture showed the blond owning the estate you were staying at. Beside him stood a grinning man, his hair as fierce as fire and his eyes closed. His arm was slung around Killer's shoulder. Killer's arm was reaching forward, probably to make the selfie with the two of them. A small smile reached your lips, twitching them a bit up. Your fingers reached to touch the glass shielding the picture, caressing the male. "So you are Kid." You whispered, almost longingly. Quickly you set the picture down and grabbed your phone with new determination. A quick tapping was enough for you before you slid your phone back in your pocket.

Ding!

You didn't have to look at the screen to know what you had done shortly before, a knowing look in your eyes as you were going back to your room quickly, yet quietly.

Message sent.